What is regarded as high mileage?

deiferdog

Reaction score
Hi all, looking at buying a GS1150 having just sold my Africa Twin. What is regarded as high / avoidable mileage for one of these, even if it has been well looked after? Many thanks

Are you guys serious or is this GS forum humour? Was looking at a couple with 60-70K on..... Cheers chaps :thumb

I've done 52,000 from new pretty much just putting petrol in, tyres on and having it serviced. Most obvious wear item is a small hole in the right hand handgrip, although the wee rubber dohicky that guides the speedo cable past the front mudguard is also looking a bit thin. The original shocks are a bit tired, everything else is "just run in".

After a bike is older than 3 years old, I have never took any notice of the reading on the clock....
If it looks, sounds and feels right then that will do me.:thumby:

I saw a 2005 1150 GSA a few weeks ago

It had 185,000 miles on the clock & looked like new, not a spot of corrosion at all

Owner had replaced the clutch @ 104k & re- shimmed the gearbox& bearings too

That was it

Mileage doesnt matter, to my mind condition is everything a dog will remain a dog without much work and (possibly) expense.

The only caveat for this is on higher mileage bikes some of the most expensive consumables might be very tired - most notably the suspension - though there are affordable fixes for this...

But - if you're going after-market a bargain loses its shine somewhat if you're faced with a big bill soon after buying. saving a few hundred might seem pointless when you need to find the best part of a grand.

To my mind its often best to hold fire as there will always be a better bike available in short order - one that is much less likely to turn into a money pit - at least not until a fair time after you've recovered from the initial expense of purchase.

From my personal experience, low mileage means one of two things. It's not been ridden enough or like mine breaks down too much to have any miles put onto it.

Mine's done 95,000 and runs fine. Key thing is condition, then type of use is important. Commuting is much harder on a bike than steady speed touring in terms of general running gar and clutches, whereas touring, with luggage is harder on the suspension. Mine will need its third clutch very soon, but is still on the original suspension.

Mileage Not A Problem

My 1150's now done 164K and still running superbly. Due to leave next month on a 4K tour to Croatia.
I've owned the bike from new. The only time it's been in a dealer for a service was it's 600 mile service - all other servicing done by me:thumb
Photo shows the bike at about 160K.

Cheers...............Grizzly:beerjug

Attachments

• IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 177

Back
Top Bottom