1100 v 1150

My ideal oilhead would be a late 1100 (99/2000) with a late 1150 front end on it. I always preferred the fuelling on the 1100 and of course the later 1150 came with the pain in the arse twin plugs (lost count of how many of those fecking things I had to buy).

I felt the same about the twin plugs but the new coil packs do seem to be ok and pretty reliable.

I have two 1100's both great bikes, I do sometimes look for another gear when at motorway cruising speeds, but maybe because my VFR and my works van both have six gears and I'm just used to having six?

The build quality is good and the handling great, one downside is the lack of aftermarket spares, such as Crash bars and such that are no longer available for the 1100.

I have two 1100's both great bikes, I do sometimes look for another gear when at motorway cruising speeds, but maybe because my VFR and my works van both have six gears and I'm just used to having six?

The build quality is good and the handling great, one downside is the lack of aftermarket spares, such as Crash bars and such that are no longer available for the 1100.

Hmm. And that's hardly likely to improve, for both spare standard parts and for extras / non-standard stuff. Who's going to keep producing stuff for an old model that sold fewer than its successor?

Just reading earlier of an 1100GS that's done over 430,000 miles... That's encouraging, eh...

My car has 183,000 miles on it (65,000 / 5 years under my arse), and I really like the prospect of keeping it going. It is a lovely car, so IMO it's worth looking after. I suspect a GS might be the same for me. I had my FJ12 for 5 years / 50,000+ miles, and felt no compunction to replace that - not many "better" bikes could replace it, IMO.

But that longevity of ownership only really applies when the bike or car really is a "keeper" - where you really, really like it, both because of its good points and despite its not-so-good ones. And where aspects mean the bike or car makes more sense as a keeper than an alternative - easier DIY maintenance, simpler tech, more robust construction, etc...

With zero experience of 1100 or 1150, I'm feeling (in so far as is possible on the www) that the 1100 might have more of that keeper factor than the 1150?

So why am I now leaning toward an 1150 after a year or so favouring an 1100?

Yep, I can over-think things sometimes... :rolleyes: Specially at 1am and I can't sleep...

Buy a 2002 single spark, non servo 1150 - fit Ohlins/Wilbers, Corbin seat and a Remus.....perfect.....

I've had a 100,1100,1150,1200 GS/GSA....:thumb2

But - I'm picking up a 1050 KTM on the 1st March....will soon see if I've made a mistake!! After years of Boxer ownership... ( by the way, all my GS's have been keepers:augie)

Not shy about miles either.. All 4 have been riden hard ( long weekends in Spain:thumb2) I have an Electra Glide at 99,000 ( that is a keeper as no twat would buy it) and took my 2005 Discovery 3 to 250,000 before selling it on here...:thumb2

Will be interesting to see how the KTM copes!! 9,000 mile service interval is handy

Buy a 2002 single spark, non servo 1150 - fit Ohlins/Wilbers, Corbin seat and a Remus.....perfect.....

I've had a 100,1100,1150,1200 GS/GSA....:thumb2

But - I'm picking up a 1050 KTM on the 1st March....will soon see if I've made a mistake!! After years of Boxer ownership... ( by the way, all my GS's have been keepers:augie)

Not shy about miles either.. All 4 have been riden hard ( long weekends in Spain:thumb2) I have an Electra Glide at 99,000 ( that is a keeper as no twat would buy it) and took my 2005 Discovery 3 to 250,000 before selling it on here...:thumb2

Will be interesting to see how the KTM copes!! 9,000 mile service interval is handy

Sounds good to me. :thumb2

So, all other stuff being equal, given that both 1100s & 1150s each have their own potential Achilles' heel (as well as a couple common to both), if faced with the choices below, which bike would you walk away from over the other Which might you entertain choosing and fixing up?

R1100GS
Signs of gearbox problems, with the associated implication that even if addressed/fixed, the problem will likely recur every XXXXX miles.
Mileage apt to HES failure
Signs of FD problems (do 1100s experience the same occurrence of FD issues as 1150s?)

R1150GS
Signs of transmission splines problem, with the associated implication that even if addressed/fixed, the problem will likely recur every XXXXX miles.
Signs of FD problems (do 1150s experience the same occurrence of FD issues as 1200s?
Signs of clutch problems

So, all other stuff being equal, given that both 1100s & 1150s each have their own potential Achilles' heel (as well as a couple common to both), if faced with the choices below, which bike would you walk away from over the other Which might you entertain choosing and fixing up?

R1100GS
Signs of gearbox problems, with the associated implication that even if addressed/fixed, the problem will likely recur every XXXXX miles.
Signs of FD problems (do 1100s experience the same occurrence of FD issues as 1150s?)

Gearbox sorted from 1997 on 1100, FD problems? They all do that sir...

Gearbox sorted from 1997 on 1100, FD problems? They all do that sir...

Even my 'so called dodgy' 96 gearbox was good for 74,000 miles, FD 114,000.

Got the gearbox 'upgraded' so I'm expecting at least 200,000 miles - hopefully 250.

If you don't do a lot of motorway miles get the 1100, although (IMHO) the 1150 GSA looks the nicest - it's just to big, even for a big strong chap like me :D:thumby:

Much as I'd love it to be the case that most of my miles would be long-distance touring around dry & sunny Europe, it'll be mostly be commuting, fun spins, and hopefully an annual spin around Europe.

So maybe the 1100's 5-speed would be fine.

I agree that the 1150GSA looks great (particularly the black/yellow and white/blue colours), and the 1150GS better than the 1100GS, but at 47, and with plenty of miles up on a variety of bikes, the looks now come after the functional suitability for my use.

So one additional aspect of the 1100 over the 1150 (in my own personal context) would be the 700w standard alternator vs the 1150's 560w standard unit. I wonder how many 1150GSs are out there that have the optional 700w upgrade alternator? How would a prospective buyer be able to tell which alternator an 1150 had fitted?

For me, I suspect my purchase will be dictated by what's available out there when my coffers have built up, rather than what I might prefer. In fairness, that's a unicorn - a non-servo ABS 1150 with a cable-operated clutch and a 700w alternator, with no transmission spline issues, an upgraded never-fail-again HES, fitted with engine bars, LED spots & fogs, Wunderlich seats, Zega Pro2 panniers, MotorWorks final drive bevel bearing replacement... and... and... and...

With no hands-on experience of either model, this is all academic for me at this point - I'm sure I'll be happy with either an 1100 or an 1150. :thumb The reason I'm so pedantic on one vs the other is that I typically keep my bikes (& cars) for a long time, often till their death. So I'd like to get the GS best suited for my preferences first time round. Of course, there'd be no harm if I did have to change, but I'd be getting the bike kitted out to my own preferences, and it'd be disappointing to dump cash into a bike that I'd end up moving on.

So frustrating to see good bikes up for sale when your funds just ain't sorted... :blast

Much as I'd love it to be the case that most of my miles would be long-distance touring around dry & sunny Europe, it'll be mostly be commuting, fun spins, and hopefully an annual spin around Europe.

So maybe the 1100's 5-speed would be fine.

I agree that the 1150GSA looks great (particularly the black/yellow and white/blue colours), and the 1150GS better than the 1100GS, but at 47, and with plenty of miles up on a variety of bikes, the looks now come after the functional suitability for my use.

So one additional aspect of the 1100 over the 1150 (in my own personal context) would be the 700w standard alternator vs the 1150's 560w standard unit. I wonder how many 1150GSs are out there that have the optional 700w upgrade alternator? How would a prospective buyer be able to tell which alternator an 1150 had fitted?

For me, I suspect my purchase will be dictated by what's available out there when my coffers have built up, rather than what I might prefer. In fairness, that's a unicorn - a non-servo ABS 1150 with a cable-operated clutch and a 700w alternator, with no transmission spline issues, an upgraded never-fail-again HES, fitted with engine bars, LED spots & fogs, Wunderlich seats, Zega Pro2 panniers, MotorWorks final drive bevel bearing replacement... and... and... and...

With no hands-on experience of either model, this is all academic for me at this point - I'm sure I'll be happy with either an 1100 or an 1150. :thumb The reason I'm so pedantic on one vs the other is that I typically keep my bikes (& cars) for a long time, often till their death. So I'd like to get the GS best suited for my preferences first time round. Of course, there'd be no harm if I did have to change, but I'd be getting the bike kitted out to my own preferences, and it'd be disappointing to dump cash into a bike that I'd end up moving on.

So frustrating to see good bikes up for sale when your funds just ain't sorted... :blast

Just buy a 1150 GSA, nothing else compares in the 1150 v 1100 debate

If you don't get a GSA, you'll always want one and wish you had

I've had them all (3x1100GS and 4x1150GS) and the GSA is the epitome of that model designation

Your over thinking this... As JB says get an 1150 GSA... Plenty around, not big money ...

Just buy a 1150 GSA, nothing else compares in the 1150 v 1100 debate

If you don't get a GSA, you'll always want one and wish you had

I've had them all (3x1100GS and 4x1150GS) and the GSA is the epitome of that model designation

That's an opinion to heed. :thumb2

Your over thinking this... As JB says get an 1150 GSA... Plenty around, not big money ...

Me, over-think? Nooo... :augie

So nearly two years since I started this thread and a year since I finally bought a R1150GS (single spark) Thought I'd tell my findings.

The 1150 is the better bike :D

Theres not a lot in it performance wise, but with the 6 speed box with tall 6th gear the 1150 is not only a better motorway cruiser but as 5th gear is lower than the 1100's the 1150 is alot better on country roads.

I always found on my 1100 on some A and most B roads I'd be constantly swapping from 5th to 4th gear, where as on the 1150 I can leave it in 5th and blat from corner to corner.

And MPG is much improved my 1100 would average 42mpg my 1150 gets around 50mpg on the same roads.

Attachments

• egg1.jpg
    egg1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,032
How tall are you. If under 6' I would go for the non-adventure, if over 6' go for the adventure:friday

5' 11". Plus an inch or so with off-road boots on - does that count? ;) My 15 year-old son just passed the 6' 1" mark around xmas... :rolleyes: Maybe he'll inherit his dad's GS someday...

Tiring myself out thinking too much about it. I'll be happy to go for the best 1100 or 1150 that comes up for the best price when my time comes. :thumb

Bought a 1100 as it was cheaper than any 1150's I could find. Although I have never ridden an 1150 I would say mine is better:blagblah
Do like the wonky bug eyes over the bus headlight mind.

just to ad to this very old thread,i have sat in the garage a r1250gs and a r nine t ,both great but i also have an old r1100rt and i still love it ,if i ever have to get somewhere and its raining i will take the 1100rt ,electric screen heated grips rain protection 220 mile range ,and the engine is more than capable
yes its and old bus but still a great bike

Back riding after an 18 year break

Just bought an 1100 after an 18 year break, previously only Jap sports bikes, so new to a BMW and looking forward to discovering the pleasures of the big twin. Reading these comments about the 1100 gives me confidence I bought the right machine.

Back
Top Bottom