Stape to Levisham road.

Sooty09

Reaction score
Today I turned off the Stape road and headed for Levisham along the forest drive. At the entry to the forest at Wardle rig it was gated with a sign saying closed, and it you think you have a legal right of way please phone this number etc, you have not and never did. Shame because the views over Newtondale halt were the best in North Yorkshire.

Yup agreed....often use to ride it of a evening....prior to it been reserved for the VIP,s only..:rolleyes:

Today I turned off the Stape road and headed for Levisham along the forest drive. At the entry to the forest at Wardle rig it was gated with a sign saying closed, and it you think you have a legal right of way please phone this number etc, you have not and never did. Shame because the views over Newtondale halt were the best in North Yorkshire.

I can't see a sign like that being legal, in Highway speak

Has anyone got a pic?

EDIT - Still shown as UCR's to Egton Bridge and Newtondale/Wardle Rigg on NYCC Highways mapping

My quote is not word for word. The wording is more legal but its message is the same.
From my recollection it was in the past a Toll road just as the current Dalby drive is today, my recent maps show it as "other route with public access" up to the gate at Wardle rigg.

Seem to recall reading about it been closed....car,nt remember where though...old age:D....could,nt find it on TRF/ T & NY site....could have been in local rag :nenau

I was there yesterday and was surprised to see the barrier? When did it close? Still shown on my OS map as a "Forest Drive".
Did a bit of Rudland Rigg though for the first time. Stunning views on a stunning day.

stape road

“We have consulted with local people and organisations and generally had a very positive reaction.* Newtondale is a Site of Special Scientific Interest for its geology and one of the North's most important woods for wildlife.* Over recent years we have managed it as a wilderness area and removing through traffic will further help restore the valley’s magical character.” that's why.
Landslips have caused a great deal of damage to the road surface, which in sections is difficult to navigate.* Repair costs have become prohibitive, especially considering the area’s environmentally sensitive character.* The North York Moors steam railway runs through the valley bottom so there is good access for walkers wanting to get into the heart of the area.* Ramblers and riders will also be able to enjoy the peace and quiet without the roar of passing motor traffic.”

* Ramblers and riders will also be able to enjoy the peace and quiet without the roar of passing motor traffic.”

Ahh, good Ol Ramblers....making it sound like it's the bloody M1!....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom