A one-off Wander... maybe targeted towards beginners... 6/7 July

just booked onto the 11:50 about 30 mins ago ! free to change times online !

we're also on the 19:36 back !

HP4 + "Social Ride" do they go together :D:moped:

They do in my world :D

Richard

I cannot open route link, I sent it to someone else and they had same problem

John

It is a Garmin based GPS route file, which you will need Basecamp or Mapsource running on your PC to open.

Anyone else having a problem?? Let me know, please.

Richard

I have amended the routes to take in the stop at the fuel station on leaving the train.

For anyone unfamiliar with the fuel station, you really cannot miss it *.

Come off the train and up the ramp.

Follow the direction arrows right, down the slope to the dual carriageway heading towards the motorways.

Stay over to the left.

Follow the road along and within say 3/4 of a mile, the petrol station will loom into view on your left. Job done.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sadd...&geocode=FS00CQMdebsbAA&gl=uk&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

* actually you can if, as sometimes happens, the direction arrows points you left (not right) on cresting the ramp on leaving the train :blast

I will arrive at Eurotunnel as if to catch the same train as you (the 11:50) and see if I can blag my way on.

If I can't we can agree a meeting point somewhere alogn the route and I will see if I can find a short cut on the routes you've sent (not that Ive tried to open them yet) to catch up. I could always stay on the autoroute a little longer and engage warp drive. I may also try to amend times online but when I made my booking the chosen times were full.

I will pop up to Eurotunnel in a minute and see if I can change my booking times face to face with a real person. I will do my very best puppy dog eyes.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday.

PS Don't forget your passports. Any problems encountered with the lovely officials on the UK Border Controls and you will be entirely on your own. I know which side my bread is buttered! :D

SPARE ROOM.....

The hotel remembered my request to let me know if an additional room became available. As good as their word, the did.

I have the option on one additional single room.

At the moment I am holding it for KarlP, who was due to come but then had a possible family problem, which is fair enough.

If KarlP does not want it / cannot make it, I am happy to either:

(A) Let it go

Or better

(B) Offer it here

If anyone would like to take it please post up interest here. First come first served, lining up behind KarlP, please.

Richard

Have a good trip Richard, me and the usual suspects are in Bouillon on saturday night before heading to the Alps.

Look forward to hooking up for a trip soon :thumb

To help bods imagine what the assorted route options mean, I have broken them down into their assorted legs.

ROUTE MILES TIME

1 Chunnel to St Q (via St Pol) 126 02:30
1.1 Chunnel to St Q (via Cambrai) 128 02:16
1.2 Chunnel to St Q (Direct) 112 01:40

2.1 St Q to Peronne 27 00:30
2.2 Peronne to Hesdin 67 01:30
2.3 Hesdin to Cap Griz Nez 48 01:00
2.4 Cap Griz Nez to Chunnel 17 00:25
TOTAL 159 03:25

3.1 Peronne to Auxi le Chateau 61 01:30
3.2 Auxi to Cap Griz Nez 68 01:30
TOTAL 173 03:55

4.1 Peronne to Valery sur Somme 114 02:40
4.2 St Val to Cap Griz Nez 73 01:30
TOTAL 231 05:05

Thoughts:

(a) They are all doable, for sure

(b) The times are very approximate and assume no stops at all

(c) To a degree the routes can be made interchangeable.

(d) From regular experience, 230 miles down French N and D roads will take all day, just as it does here in the UK. That is after you allow two half hour coffee stops and a lunch break of say one hour or more; five hours grows to seven plus very quickly.

(e) The weather forecast is still favourable and the light is definitely still good.

(f) I still fancy the 230 mile option, leaving St Q at say 09:00 on Sunday morning. That should definitely give us the luxury of some spare time to add in either a longer lunch stop, a longer fuel stop / flower pressing / picture opportunity / an extra coffee stop / Robin's gaspers etc. etc. St Valery would make a good lunch stop, even if it is also popular with half of France. If it is packed or we are running late, it's possible to take the small coastal road to La Hordel and find something by the lighthouse. Let's take a view on the day.

What sometimes works well is finding a bakery and buying a 'sandwich' somewhere en-route; then scoffing it at lunchtime'ish. Let's see how the mood and trhe day takes us, I suggest.

(g) Whichever way we go, we will never be much more than 100 miles from Calais as the crow flies. There are assorted very direct options, should we encounter any significant problems.

One Saturday, there is a chunk of Payage, either to St Pol or Cambrai which we will have to pay for. I looked at assorted options to miss it out, but the later crossing time of noon (13:00 frog) meant that it wasn't really practicable, not lesat as I wanted to have a coffee stop somewhere between the Chunnel exit and our hotel, all arriving at some sensible time for a beer or whatever.

On Sunday, I have near enough avoided any motorway and I hope any pay-up section. The only stretch is to by-pass Boulogne, if we take the longest St Valery option 4.1 and 4.2.

Missing out Boulogne and what can be a slowish grind on the D940 coast road through Wimereux, Ambleteuse and Audresselle, each chocked with seaside families (no harm in that) is worth it.

If anyone is struggling loading the routes / hasn't got a GPS don't worry. It's a small group, so we can all watch out for each other, for sure. If anyone wants to bring a map (I will) I suggest Michelin 511 and 514 would be excellent. 791 or 792 will get you out of a hole pretty well, too.

I think that's the lot. Any problems, questions or whatever, sing up :thumb2

Richard

Just to keep it on top....

Cheers, Lloyd. Have a good one :thumb2 That's a fine idea about joining up next year, for sure.

=============

Hotel room free...

The hotel remembered my request to let me know if an additional room became available. As good as their word, the did.

I have the option on one additional single room.

At the moment I am holding it for KarlP, who was due to come but then had a possible family problem, which is fair enough.

If KarlP does not want it / cannot make it, I am happy to either:

(A) Let it go

Or better

(B) Offer it here

If anyone would like to take it please post up interest here. First come first served, lining up behind KarlP, please.

Richard

Hi Richard,
I'll have the single if it still available please:bow I'll book the tunnel when I hear from you.:thumb2
Terry

Excellent...

Hi Terry,

I have heard from Karl, he can't make it.

The room is yours.

I will confirm the reservation to the hotel in the morning.

Richard

just to be clear, is Terry a.k.a. Brummie (who lists his location as Birmingham) actually a Brummie?

I suppose that's acceptable, as long as we're drawing the line east of Wales and south of The North. :D

look forward to meeting you, Terry. :thumby:

Hi vis? Is that actually compulsory in Frogland now?

Not wishing to hijack a thread, but was thinking of popping over soon.

Hate wearing hi vis :nenau

:beerjug:

Hi vis? Is that actually compulsory in Frogland now?

Not wishing to hijack a thread, but was thinking of popping over soon.

Hate wearing hi vis :nenau

:beerjug:

No don't think you have to wear them but its in TCMT's rules .. So I have to wear it.. Well at least riding off of the drive:D:D

Back
Top Bottom