1979 Z1000mk2 (A3/A4)

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone had or got one of these? I'm hoping to have a look at one this weekend that has been laid up in a mates brother in laws garage for about 15 years.
He's had the bike from new, it's done approx 16000mls, never been dropped, and was running fine when he put it off the road. It doesn't have the original exhaust (Motad Neta fitted). It's mettallic red. I've no idea what to offer for it, I've asked him how much does he want but he doesn't know. I know it will need new tyres and tubes, a battery, a carb overhaul and at least a full service.
I suspect it'll look something similar to this

look at one this weekend that has been laid up in a mates brother in laws garage for about 15 years.......................................................................

I suspect it'll look something similar to this

I don't know whether to :blast or :comfort

I do have a lovely bridge for sale though if you're interested :)

i am just in the the process of finishing the recommission of a z1000st which looks very similar to the model you have pictured.
be under no illusions about how much it will cost to recommission an old bike when you make an offer ,these models are nowhere near as valuable as a z1/z900 etc.a really nice bike would probably cost @£2to£2.5k .the motad exhaust you mention will do nothing for the bikes looks and decent s/h systems are expensive .a new harris exhaust will set you back £400.none of this is important if you really like the bike and are going to keep it but if you are going to get it up and running to sell on its another thing entirely. without seeing the bike i would say its value would be £500 to £1000 .
if you decide against buying the the bike would you pass my details to the owner:D:D.mike

Thanks Mikey, I was considering perhaps £500, and budgeting a max of £1000 for overhaul. It would cost too much to get back to original/concours, I believe the original exhaust system is unobtainable. I really like the look of these bikes and I hate the thought of old bikes rotting away in someones shed or garage.
I have done a few full restorations over the last 25 years, but mainly on BMWs and old british bikes, and spares were never an issue; but the Jap stuff can be hard to find and expensive and that has put me off doing some Jap bikes. I suppose there is the option of buying it and breaking it for spares to turn a small profit, but I like the thought of actually resurecting an old bike and giving it a new lease of life.
Then I think of my R100gs sitting in the garage looking slightly tired and I start thinking it may be better to spend the money on rejuvenating that instead.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure :D

And Old Bike Barn in the US.

They stock quite a few good parts, but the shipping can add up. I have a 1978 Z1000Ltd. All original but in need of some restoration. I own it for nearly 20 years and put up a lot of miles on it, so it owes me nothing. You should offer about £500, and check out the wiring looms, etc if it's been lying so long.

I have just picked this 1000 Ltd up. I like the Z air cooled engines but all the big air cooled Zs are getting harder to find now. I will probably keep it until the middle of the summer and then sell it on.

ltd 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom