Barry Sheene Road Race Festival

fritz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
North Yorkshire - but the map isn't the territory
Can any one advice whether there is much difference between Sat and Sunday?

Looks like each day is a repeat to me and can't find much info - web-site is hopeless.

Very poorly publicised or detailed :confused:

We'll only go for one of the days so wanted to figure out which is best - any guidance welcomed ;)

Not much to be said....it is the same both days.

Pick the best days weather I suppose.

Yes, Sunday is the main day....there will be a better crowd and atmosphere. As ever it's down to the weather.....:aidan

Aye so took a ride up on Sunday, few pics to share, 'twas a grand day out again - really a lovely spot to watch racing and well worth a visit.

As we hadn't advance booked we couldn't get into paddock - which would have been particulalrly interesting with some of the machinery on track - the old stuff :D

Taking of which, the Benelli and Laverda Clubs where there and had displays and parade laps, so let's start with the Benellis - from 70s Sei & Sei race rep (bloody lovely :cool:) to a 250 four (I assume!)

Superb machines, and quite sportingly ridden on the parade lap too :thumb

Attachments

• 00a.jpg
    00a.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 00b.jpg
    00b.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 00c.jpg
    00c.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 00d.jpg
    00d.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 00e.jpg
    00e.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 121
Then the actual races, with a bias to the 'older' stuff, lot of 500 hondas and the like, an ex Phil Read MV (dropped too :eek:) I can't pass on details as I couldn't get a programme and the website Nos don't match :confused: - go figure :D

Lovely noisey sounds, and focused riders giving it serious...

The can on No 70 meant the other newer bikes had to take a wider line to avoid getting caught on it :clap

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 117
Parade lap and a few nice bikes again.

Love Fishtails, love um!

The RGS was one of the niest sounding 'standard' bikes along with Jotas

The question was 'is the bike older than the rider' on the Excelsior - what a TOTALLY class act, respect :thumb

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 114
It really is a great circuit for getting close to the racing - and offers some odd perspectives! Cow's are cool about it all!

No 41 is all painted up as a velocette very very tastfully done...and no...of course it isn't...

Jefferies jump (I think) usually offers some antics!!

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 117
How rural is this, picnic amongst the buttercups whilst being deafened - the start/finish is the dullest part of circuit for us - but the bowl creates the greatest acoustics...i.e. NOISE :rolleyes:

And lets not forget the commentary - great fun, nice and low key, the likes of Mick Grant sharing a few thoughts and lets not forget that great offer from Thompsons - 10% off your F&Cs on the way home...no...hang on...20% off :thumb a very enjoyable 10 minute interlude to share it with the crowd, and (genuignly) a great offer - but no on our way home :(

Infinately better than the dog burger (I refuse to believe there was anything as good as horse in it!) I had - I should have learnt from last time - idiot :rolleyes:

It's a great venue, even without the racing...well, I wouldn't spend £20 without the racing - but of course you can go when there ain't racing for free!

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 112
A few final shots of the last race - I love how close you can get, and even without the mammoth lenses you can get some great shots - couldn't get these at the world superbikes I bet (probably not as good either :eek)

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 111
And finally, they had a parade lap with some wonderful bikes, the smell of Castrol the thunder of openpie fours, great, saw this nice old bike and recognisable helmet design just before we left...

Great event - if only we'd advance booked to get in paddock...but we never plan that far ahead :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 110
Great pics, thanks for posting.

I've been going to Oliver's Mount for 41 years, I'm 44!

Back
Top Bottom