Shock shocker

Beangreen

Reaction score
Yet another failed ESA rear shock.
25000 miles and the shock is knackered!!

BMW Sunderland said '£1700' to replace but will discuss with HQ re footing the bill for this 'unusual failure'!

I'm not holding my breath! Although I know they'll do their best for me (they're a good bunch!)

Last edited:
Just had the ESA shock replaced on my 2010 GS. Bike had just turned 30k miles however I had been complaining to the local dealer from approx 18k and again at the 24k service that, although not leaking or visibly faulty, the shock was not doing what it was supposed to do. My complaints were noted on the computer service record which may have helped my case.

I had paid for the extended warranty however this claim was rejected as I had turned 30k miles, however the local dealer was able to get BMW to stump up for the replacement shock (£1,100) if I paid for the fitting (about 1 hour). Happy with this offer and the new shock is great. I realise now how much the back end of the bike had dropped as I am now back on tip toes at junctions :eek:

This is my 4th BMW bike since 2001 and 3 have had replacement shocks under warranty with the earliest failure being at 12k. In my view rear BMW shocks are a weak point in bikes which should handle miles and it is particularly poor that the ESA units are not rebuildable / serviceable given the price.

Traded the 3rd bike (2008 GS) after only 14k but found out from the next owner that he subsequently had to get the final drive replaced under warranty so may have dodged a bullet there and also had the shock replaced.

I average 13 -16k per annum so may be using the bike more than some however none of us would expect BMW cars to need £1,000+ spent on a single replacement shock after only 2 1/2 years / 30k miles - so why is this considered acceptable on their bikes???? It's not like I am lardy, carry pillions or use the bike for extreme enduro; all solo tarmac miles mostly touring (with luggage).

Had fitted Wilbers to my R1200ST on the basis of having a five year warranty and being serviceable and the price for the pair came in not much more than BMW charge for the ESA shock alone. Hyperpro fitted to my R1100S, £190 incl postage to have the rear shock serviced at the factory in Holland.

Come on Mr BMW, fit some better quality shocks and make them serviceable

You did well the non esa shock on my 2012 gsa lasted 700 miles , replacement was little better after a similar period, I went down the Maxton route

So far

That've offered me to pay half the cost of the unit.
I pay the other half plus labour.
Still looks like I'll pay near £1000

Option 1 - do that (rear unit only)
Option 2 - pay £1250 for front and rear wilbers wesa
Option 3 - pay £x to trade in to twin cam model

What'dya reckon?

What'dya reckon?

Wilburs WESA and never look back :thumby:

BMW

BMW wanted £1700 for rear shock but came down to £700.

So I made the (easy) decision of ditching that plan and went for a Wilbers WESA for £560ish

Will let you know how I get on.

BMW wanted £1700 for rear shock but came down to £700.

So I made the (easy) decision of ditching that plan and went for a Wilbers WESA for £560ish

Will let you know how I get on.

Just fitted rear Wilber WESA due to shite BMW leaking shock at 20k. What a difference with the Wilber, far superior damping etc, if/when I have the dosh, I will do the front too.

The Wilbers are pricey, no doubt about that but as well as our man above's comments, consider that you get a spring fitment tailored to the weight you and pillion may be rather than the one size fits all BMW choice!

Just fitted rear Wilber WESA due to shite BMW leaking shock at 20k. What a difference with the Wilber, far superior damping etc, if/when I have the dosh, I will do the front too.

John (revs racing) bet me £10 I'd be back for the front once I've experienced the rear!

John made me the same bet as to wether or not I would notice a considerable difference on my ride home
Glad I didn't take him up on it the wilburs are amazing and equally important John and Nick at Revs Racing are a couple of very decent blokes, very knowledgable about suspension and very passionate as well

Top blokes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What'dya reckon?

Ask them for their half in cash and buy a decent after market. :D

Back
Top Bottom