Yorkshire Air Museum and Vintage Bikes

JKW

Reaction score
Been at the West Yorks Advanced Motorcyclists monthly meeting this evening (cue cracks about hi-viz and BMWs)... that aside we had a talk by a bloke from the Yorkshire Air Museum and Allied Air Forces Memorial at Elvington. Firstly, I'd never heard of the place before this evening, which is a shame because its absolutely fascinating (if you like that sort of thing of course :cool:). It was a Bomber Command base during WWII - firstly for 77 Squadron and then two newly formed Free French Squadrons of Halifax bombers in early 1944 (the only RAF base solely operated by an overseas air force during the war apparently). Their first mission was to bomb their own country in advance of the D-Day landings! :eek

It definitely goes on my list for a 'must' visit over the summer. It would be nice to try to get there for 'Thunder Day' which is when they start up engines on various aircraft (none are flight worthy but many are fit for ground operations) on 4th August - often main events like this are also blessed with a fly past from the Battle of Britain Memorial flight.

One of the annual events they hold is the “Golden Era” Vintage Motorcycle Run – a gathering of historic pre-1931 Vintage Motorcycles - might be of interest to some on here - which is on the August Bank Holiday Monday (26th).

More info here :thumb2

Adam - thanks for that. We've been to Eden Camp a few times over the years (mostly for the kids' history projects when they were much younger).

The YCHP series looks interesting - I think we've visited more than half of these properties but never heard of this collaborative association which links them - and her Ladyship hasn't either so it's not just me! :rob

The air museum @ Elvington is a canny afternoon out.

Stayed at a camp site in Dunnington so just a few miles down the road.

Back
Top Bottom