Canon MP280 printer - help with troubleshooting black cartridge snag

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just fitted a new (non-Canon) black cartridge to my MP280 printer. The printer behaves normally, except it won't print in black. Test sheets come out without any black printing and monochrome documents sound like they are being printed on, but come out blank.

The odd thing is, there is no error code or "low ink" light on. The cartridge I've fitted is part of a pair I bought a while (couple of months) ago and it's colour counterpart has been installed and working successfully for several weeks.

All the searches I've done have resulted in solutions to snags where either there is an error code, or the low ink light is on.

I have ensured that the plastic protective tape has come off correctly and all the contacts are clean, but I'm just about out of ideas - can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation

Mike :cool:

Hi Mike,

Try removing the cartridge and inspecting the open nozzles on it. Are they definitely open (ie no plastic on them). Also then reseat the cartridge ensuring it "clicks" into place.

Can you run a nozzle clean on the printer? This should force ink through it.

If all that does not work, you might have to check the tube that carries the black ink from the cartridge to the printhead.

SOunds like its a blocked nozzle tho, and a printhead / nozzle clean should fix it.

There may also be a piece of tape over the breather vent on top of the cartridge. I know my son forgot to remove these and had problems.

If the printer has not been used for a while, could the ink jet print head be blocked with dried up ink?

Have you tried the cleaning option in the printer software?

Sometimes you can remove the print head if it is just clipped in and clean it with alcohol or distilled water - let the head soak in water, but not the electrical contacts. Maybe necessary to use an ultrasonic bath if they are blocked. (I have never actually had to use an ultrasonic bath even after the printer has been out of use for a long time).

Grey Beard

Could be the printer is smarter than you think. It may sense a non-OEM cartridge and block it.

I'd do a google on the problem and see if it is mentioned.

Al

Thanks for the suggestions.

The printer was in use immediately before the ink light came on and it stopped printing black on the old cartridge. I replaced the cartridge, the light went out and - apart from its inability to print black - everything is apparently OK.

All tape etc is removed, so no blockage as far as I can see. I lightly drew a piece of tissue over the 'slot' (which I assume is where the ink is printed via) and it produced a good deal of black toner, so there doesn't seem to be a snag with ink or the jet.

Mike :confused:

Could be the printer is smarter than you think. It may sense a non-OEM cartridge and block it.

I'd do a google on the problem and see if it is mentioned.

Al

Most of the solutions I Googled were for this very snag. The problem is, this snag will produce a fault code or a "no ink" light - and I have neither.

The cartridge I have fitted was advertised specifically as being compatible with the Canon sensor. The fact that the colour version of the pair is completely compatible leads me to believe the black one probably is too...

Mike :confused:

My printer is a Canon ip4500, just had the same problem after fitting a non Canon black ink cartridge, and it now wont print black.

Eventually found there is a yellow tab on top of the printer cartridge with "pull" on it, removed this and printing is restored:D

My printer is a Canon ip4500, just had the same problem after fitting a non Canon black ink cartridge, and it now wont print black.

Eventually found there is a yellow tab on top of the printer cartridge with "pull" on it, removed this and printing is restored:D

I wish it was that - I'd even admit it... :D

Back
Top Bottom