K1 Valuation needed so i can sell.

Might be some seals that could do with replacing.

The bike is quarter of a century old and it might have been stood for many years with the same oil in it. The engine's internals could be badly corroded and the seals are probably perished. The fuel tank might have internal corrosion, the injection and electrics are still 25 years old and parts will have perished even if the bike has been stored well. Any prospective buyer would be wise to price these extra costs in on top of the purchase price to recommission the bike.
Still a beautiful bike and I wouldn't mind giving it a good home in my garage :cool:

Not restoring JB but recommissioning.

I'd go along with Mike O, strip it, clean it and take detailed photos in the process. People worry what's under all that plastic, let them see the condition under there.

New tyres because a) tyre technology has moved on and b) twenty year old rubber isn't a good idea.

Some new seals in places, cooling fan checked that it isn't seized through lack of running, all fluids changed and maybe some stainless fasteners in places.

I said all that already, but at 322 miles nothing could be in need of RESTORATION (in the true sense of the word)

Recommisioning - yes, but that's only a mornings work

At 322 miles, I'd change the tyres and all the fluids and ride the fecking thing

I doubt that there's anything under the panels in terms of muck

I'd leave it as it is and see what happened

I've restored a few bikes and people over complicate it

I would always buy as completely original as I could find, unsullied and untouched by numbnuts

If I wanted a K1, then this would be the one, no question

I said all that already, but at 322 miles nothing could be in need of RESTORATION (in the true sense of the word)
Funnily enough JB, it's only you that seems to have decided to use the word. It doesn't appear in this thread until you questioned the need for a restoration.

:nenau

It would certainly NOT be wise to ride that bike back ....... anyone who bought it should trailer it home.

you have to be a certain shape to ride the K1 (comfortably)

Funnily enough JB, it's only you that seems to have decided to use the word. It doesn't appear in this thread until you questioned the need for a restoration.

:nenau

Mike O mentioned it in post 15, but later retracted it after my post 16 :D

Should have quoted him, then the scallywag couldn't have retracted it:blast

I think everyone is worrying unduly

It looks like it's been 'dry' stored in a garage....................not some old wet barn

Mike O mentioned it in post 15, but later retracted it after my post 16 :D

Should have quoted him, then the scallywag couldn't have retracted it:blast

I think everyone is worrying unduly

It looks like it's been 'dry' stored in a garage....................not some old wet barn

What the fuck are you talking about JB? :confused: I've not edited anything:

...it would cost a considerable amount more to restore it to the condition your bike is in...

My use of the word 'restore' referred to changing any bike (including a new one, frankly) to the standard of one that has undergone a recommissioning/restoration/whatever at the hands of MikeP - and was illustrating why I thought Ocean had insured his for a value above that which it might be sold for...

Keep your knickers on.............................it's only the internet:rolleyes:

Do you ever get tired of being right all the time?
i-2PDZSjJ-Ti.gif

The Bonhams' bike would have netted the seller less than £5k after fees.

Plus the ebay bike is now advertised for sale again at £4995 and you can probably buy it with a warranty and no recommissioning costs for £4500

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K1-RE...IKE-NEW-PRICE-/161041174688?pt=UK_Motorcycles

That's the trouble with ebay, probably better to sell to a genuine buyer off the forum.

Agreed.

It's a shame though isn't it.....this particular bike in that condition and mileage feels like it ought to be worth a lot more to me :(

Ah well, p'raps the OP should just sort it and rag the tits off it :thumb2

Thanks for that boys. It was fully serviced, engine gearbox oil, fluids, seals, fuel pump, tank drained, mot, new tyres etc. cost over a grand. I rode it back from the dealers , the long way round. It had 284 miles when I picked it up and 322 when I had completed the 2 mile ride back to my dads garage! it was good, but at the time I was riding a 1 year old cbr1000 and the K1 seemed slow to pickup and even slower to stop. But it was lovely at cruising speed and above and rock solid on the road. I have gibbon length arms so it suits me.

They are not very good for drag racing type starts, the final-drive gearing is for high speed cruising (the F-D gearing is tall and only used in the K1 until K1200RS/GT that had a six speed gearbox).

Even those chipped to release the extra 30bhp don't really get off the line particularly rapidly but once above about 50 mine now gathers pace pretty well.

Mine now has 21,300 miles on the clock and is getting better as the miles go on it. Sorting the throttle bodies, the by-pass screws, the idle speed and the TPS has been time consuming: The bellypan has to come off, so does the nearside knee pad and the fairing side panel, then the heat baffles can come out followed by the nearside radiator duct before access is gained. Then when you've twiddled with the bits, it all has to go back on to road test. It took me three times to get the idle speed to settle properly after a decent run.

Maybe you should take the fairings and all the plastic off and run it as a yellow engined naked. Might look a bit like a baldy chicken, but i bet it would turn a few heads and it would be a true one off. What do you reckon - K1 Custom?

Maybe you should take the fairings and all the plastic off and run it as a yellow engined naked. Might look a bit like a baldy chicken, but i bet it would turn a few heads and it would be a true one off. What do you reckon - K1 Custom?

Stu
You will be hunted down and burnt for that on here :)

:eek:

Burn the heretic!

Psst. The engine isn't yellow.

Is that you Pete? I got the Bike today. Just came home from the dealer on it, tok a wrong turn somewhere and i ended up with 60 extra miles on the clock. Go figure?

Back
Top Bottom