Replacing rear Brake pads 2010 GSA

Flipper_Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had a little search......but couldn't see a definitive guide to replacing pads........surely someone has posted with piccies etc ?

I'm thinking about delving into the (my) unknown and giving it a go.....5th GS/A and 12.5yrs of ownership...........I didn't want to rush in..

Cheers

Cheers for that, seems straight forward......not sure mine will come apart so easily after 30,000miles and 2 winters mind...

Didnt see any brake cleaner or copper slip ? Any advice on where to apply both ?!

The bolt that goes through the middle looks like it'll be corroded to crap on mine - is that what's best to have a smear of copper slip on when putting back together ? I guess where the pin goes in also ?

I've heard mention of pushing the pistons back in as well ?

Spray it all with brake cleaner, get a stainless pin to replace manky standard one. You may need to reuse the collette from your old pin. Thoroughly clean with brake cleaner once pads are out, especially opposit end to pin. Put gresse on back of pads and CAREFULLY on pin and at other end where the pads sit in the caliper.

be patient and pedantic, take care as you go.:D:

Get a new retaining pin from BMW because stainless will react with the aluminium and if it gets left too long will not come out. The pin has a loose ferrule thingy on the inner end that clicks it into place. Pull the funny wire clip out and knock the retaining pin through with a suitable pin punch before unbolting the caliper.

The pads sit on their front and back edges. This and the back faces are where to put the anti seize paste. Copaslip will do but fasteners suppliers will have much better stiff with a higher solids content.

Make sure the caliper sides smoothly on its rails and the hydraulic piston pushes back easily. If its tight the caliper might need to be rebuilt with new seals. Or if not left too long with the old ones cleaned up.

I've heard mention of pushing the pistons back in as well ?

Before undoing the brake caliper...... push the outside of caliper with your foot intowards the wheel. This will retract the pistons. ;)

Did mine yesterday. Simple enough. Just take your time..........................

And you don't have to take the wheel off like in the vid.:thumb2

As an aside. Anytime I take anything off, I make sure that I have a thorough clean around EVERYTHING that I can't normally reach with stuff in situ...something that it would be uneconomic timewise for a garage to do...this is one of the real advantages of doing stuff yourself.

like other's have said: take your time, and go the extra mile (above), and above all, just come back on here if you get stuck or unsure of anything. Mostly people are here to help :rob

Grease (even in the right places) is not good for brake pads. It gunks everything up so before long the pads dont slide properly. The best stuff is a spray on dry lube (on the caliper only) to stop the pads sticking in the slides. Next best is a light smear of high solids anti seize paste. CopaSlip is too oily and not much better than plain grease.

r1200gs brake pads

:aidan Looking to fit new rear brembo brake pads on bike. I have looked on internet but with not much success in locating supplier. Do people normally get them from their dealer or does anyone know a reliable supplier? Thanks:thumb

Steptoe sells Ferodo pads, much less money than Brembo and probably better at stopping than the OEM pads too. Not aggressive enough pad compound to chew through the rear disk unlike some brands which seem to eat disks.

Steptoe sells Ferodo pads, much less money than Brembo and probably better at stopping than the OEM pads too. Not aggressive enough pad compound to chew through the rear disk unlike some brands which seem to eat disks.

Completely agree. I use Steptoe's Ferodo's and they have great stopping power and go the distance:thumb2

There is a view that copaslip is the wrong compound to use around brake calipers. It dries out and the the little copper particles get onto the piston seals, pin boots , pad pin seal on a GS. I would recommend using red brake grease in all areas of the caliper where required to protect the rubber bits.

Back
Top Bottom