Trail Riding Intro Day Weds 26th June 6.30pm - Big Bikes welcome

Mike F

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So summer's here again - time to set up a few little sampler trail rides.

First one will be after work on Weds 26th June.

Road Tyres are OK

We'll probably meet at the start of the Ridgeway in Streatley around 6.30pm.

Ideally we'll get a group of 6 or so GS / KTM Adv / newbie riders up for a spot of introductory Green Laning on the Berkshire downs.

It'll be an easy route aimed squarely at first timers. Road tyres will be fine although if its really wet we'll have to cancel.

No real rules, other than its all at your own risk etc etc. Only thing I insist on is stout boots. I have a few spare pairs of MX boots you can borrow if needed (9 & 10).

It'll be no Walters Arena style experience but its free and I can give you a bit of advice on enjoying your big bike on the slippery stuff. I'll also introduce you to the TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship) who are active in the Thames Valley with groups in Oxford and in Reading (Lodden Valley). The TRF is instrumental in keeping green lanes open for use by responsible motorcyclists and if have an interest in this its well worth joining.

Put your name down on the thread if interested and if it happens I'll see you come the day.

Full RV instructions will follow, with a bit of faffing we should plan on a good hour or two on the trails, and be able to squeeze in a quick pint to round things off.

Excellent to see someone sorting out some new blood into the world of dirt.

You all enjoy yourselves. Have a dirtastic time!

try and keep it dirty side down y'all.

:thumb

Would have gladly joined but managed to sprain my ankle yesterday :blast
Any more rides planned planned for the summer?

Nice one Mike. If you can lend me some stormtrooper boots (9.5) you can count me in for sure :thumb

I'm in Marlborough by the way, was thinking about doing the ridgeway at some point :JB

Anything closer to Oxford area likely to happen this summer? Or at a weekend?

This is too far for me to get to after work, but I would like to look at what an "easy" trail is.

I don't plan to get extreme, just easy tracks, when dry - if you need motocross gear and knobblies it isn't for me (or at least not on £10k of 250kg motorcycle)

Also be interested in finding out what may be in my area as I can't find bugger all :mad:

This is too far for me to get to after work, but I would like to look at what an "easy" trail is.

I don't plan to get extreme, just easy tracks, when dry - if you need motocross gear and knobblies it isn't for me (or at least not on £10k of 250kg motorcycle)

Also be interested in finding out what may be in my area as I can't find bugger all :mad:

Not again......

You don't have to wear protective gear, it's a personal choice based on experience....

Potential +1

I'm tempted,

Need to check my calendar at work but could be up for this. Have some fresh TKC tyres on too.

How long do you plan to be out? Only I'd need to travel 2+hrs to RV.

Regards

Matt

Not again......

You don't have to wear protective gear, it's a personal choice based on experience....

WTF, where did I mention protective gear, I just asked about trails / ride outs near me, or at weekends when I would have time to get there.

Nice one Mike. If you can lend me some stormtrooper boots (9.5) you can count me in for sure :thumb

I'm in Marlborough by the way, was thinking about doing the ridgeway at some point :JB

I'll pm you my address. Some scruffy old MX boots will await. You'll need to be there at 5.45 so we can make the RendezVous at 6.30. Or I can bring them along and you can sort yourself out at the RV.

M

Rasher

There's really not a lot near Oxford - lanes wise. What time could you get to Streatley? depending where you are in Oxford its really not that far.

So long as its dry we will be fine on road tyres, thats what I will be on.

If its wet we will have to reschedule.

I hope you can join us if you are curious....

M

I'm tempted,

Need to check my calendar at work but could be up for this. Have some fresh TKC tyres on too.

How long do you plan to be out? Only I'd need to travel 2+hrs to RV.

Regards

Matt

Matt you are mad.....

2+ hours! Keep the speeds modest or you'll trash your TKCs.

We'll be out for a couple of hours.

If the weather is 50/50 I'll put off road wheels on and those with teh right tyres can continue if its wet - so your ride wont be wasted if you do decide to give it a go...

M

Mike,

Your right, 6+hrs in the saddle on an eve will probably be too much considering middle segment is on trails.

I'll wait out for something more local.

Have fun though.

WTF, where did I mention protective gear, I just asked about trails / ride outs near me, or at weekends when I would have time to get there.

Here:

If MX gear is not protective gear, what is it then????

I remember your posts from last year where you constantly put barriers in your way to prevent you from trailriding, it's some sort of annual trailriding Groundhog day event with you.

If you're that keen to trailride, you'd have given it a go by now. There are miles of trails just to the south of Wantage and some especially easy gravel trails to the south and southwest of Lambourn.

Will just have to see what happens at work, but it is unlikely for me this time, if I can get down I will though.

Certainly curious about what may be possible within fairly easy reach, so far just tried a few unpaved roads that were in Adventure Bike Rider a couple of months back (Near Stow on the Wold) and quite enjoyed getting off the beaten track, unlike on road riding it seems quite enjoyable even when riding dead slow and extremely steady.

I have just one thing to add...

All are welcome, the more the merrier. And do a sun dance its looking touch and go...

M

Here:

If MX gear is not protective gear, what is it then????

I remember your posts from last year where you constantly put barriers in your way to prevent you from trailriding, it's some sort of annual trailriding Groundhog day event with you.

If you're that keen to trailride, you'd have given it a go by now. There are miles of trails just to the south of Wantage and some especially easy gravel trails to the south and southwest of Lambourn.

I have given it a go, and without MX gear, only gravel and dirt tracks which for now I am happy with. I just don't want to go over huge rocks, or really slippery stuff where proper off-road tyres are required, or the sort of terrain where your highly likely to drop a bike, if I really like it I would buy a more suitable machine.

I have also ridden a few unpaved roads abroad, again these are not too chalenging and if your careful the risk of a drop is relatively small.

The biggest problem I have is finding these trails, or knowing which ones you can take a vehicle down, I tend to look for any track with a "not suitable for motor vehicles" warning as it gives away the fact motor vehicles are allowed.

What's with the MX Boots recomendation?

I know they are very different to road / race boots, but wondered why a good sturdy pair of road boots are considered inadequate on dirt.

If you are happy with stout boots thats fine. We will be taking it very easy.

Personally for the sake of £30 for a used pair of MX boots, thats what I'd wear. They are your ankles, its your choice.

Will you be coming?

M

Back
Top Bottom