XV 1700/1300/1900 etc.........

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gowan, tell me about them please :)

(I've got a bet with myself that the first people who slag them off will be HD riders, who will inevitably say that they're 'not the real thing' :blagblah :blast)

On paper, they look like a better bike than any equivalent Harley......and bits don't drop off them either (have looked up reliability stats :p)

Bring it on :thumb2

XV1900 here for just over 6 and a half grand......under 5k miles

$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcS5eBQt51BWF(w~~_12.JPG

Get one Bill, I could could see you on one of those:beerjug:

Get one Bill, I could could see you on one of those:beerjug:

I can, almost :blast

(PS I could hear you laughing as you typed that :D :dabone)

Hate to admit it, but there we go :rolleyes:

6 foot 4 and *hrrumph* a few kilos overweight, plus Rosie on the back.......I've never had a cruiser stylee bike but something big and torquey and comfy like that might well do us......
Needs to be long distance comfy with plenty of room, reliable and fairly cheap.

Rosie wants one for us :eek:

If you ride the Alpine hairpins be prepared to take some tarmac home with you, it is a very long bike and it doesn't get too low in the twisties. :D

You may like the second from last line in this link. :augie

http://www.redline.co.za/Yamaha XV1900 Raider.htm

Yes, I know it's a much later bike but a baked bean is a baked bean ... unless it's Heinz!

I can picture you now, Roof helmet, minging Roadcrafter and an E cig in the corner of your mouth taking off on full throttle into a ford with Rosie hanging on for dear life and squealing with delight:thumb

Gowan, tell me about them please :)

(I've got a bet with myself that the first people who slag them off will be HD riders, who will inevitably say that they're 'not the real thing' :blagblah :blast)

On paper, they look like a better bike than any equivalent Harley......and bits don't drop off them either (have looked up reliability stats :p)

Bring it on :thumb2

XV1900 here for just over 6 and a half grand......under 5k miles

$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcS5eBQt51BWF(w~~_12.JPG

Nowt wrong with your reasoning, maybe the PO was thinking just as you are when he bought it.

Begs the question, why has it done so few miles and why's it for sale if in reality it's so wonderful, or not.

More to buying and happily owning bikes than 'stats'.

Loads of bang for your buck.....

What about a Triumph Rocket III mahoosive and very torqueeeee

xv 1700

i used to have an xv1700[shush dont tell anyone] very reliable,due to the fact its a simple engine.bags of room if your a little[shall we say] portly.max speed on mine was about 112,so wont rip your arms out.reasonably comfy 2 up with luggage rack for tent etc.think i might still have a couple of handlebar tassels in the shed. ps if this gets out,i will deny all knowledge.

Bought the XV1900 after a hiring an Electra Glide for a USA vacation - the first V twin I'd ever ridden. When I handed the bike back I was pretty much convinced that V Twins were the greatest motorcycle engines possible and I still do. However, the the rest of the 2007/8 Electra Glide was somewhat below par, specifically the brakes, emitted engine heat, pillion to rider distance. When I got home I swapped the 1100GS I'd owned for 11yrs from new for a XV1900 thus getting a big V Twin with brakes etc belonging to the modern era.

The XV was great at one thing and one thing only - it was brill banging along at 50mph in a straight line, utterly relaxing, utterly pleasant and firing every lampost. Doing anything else was less enjoyable.
People complaining about HD ground clearance have not ridden a XV. Decking the floorboards at tee junctions is not a good sign. This chronic lack of ground clearance, coupled with the wheelbase of a barge meant every corner needed to be bang on from start to finish, mid corner corrections were difficult and limited.

I never felt safe on the thing and my pillion she was constantly trying fight against the bike mid corner. Vibration could be an issue too. Pannier size and shape were feckin' silly.

In 2009 I sold the XV for an Electra Glide standard after HD in that year addressed most of the issues which spoiled my 2007 hire bike.

The XV was barely acceptable except for the 50mph thing. It was a bastard to clean and work on. The handling/ground clearance probs made it unpleasant tbh. It's not easy to enjoy the ride knowing the next corner may be your last.

I don't know or care what anyone considers the real thing but my opinion is this. The post '09 Electra Glide is by far a more refined and practical bike. Easier to work, smoother, easier to clean and safer by a mile. Nowt's dropped of in 37k miles either.

Make sure you can live with the XV before you buy. Make sure your pillion can take the stress.

Fine looking bike though.

IMG_3093ddddddd-X2.jpg

Bought the XV1900.....

Snipped

Thanks Boxer :clap

I do like to ride quite 'assertively' sometimes :augie so I reckon it's off the list......We have a lovely twisty road between Harwich and Manningtree and the you're out into Constable country with all the tight wiggles and Anglo-Saxon field system sudden 90 degree bends.....great fun on a GS and a lovely area to bimble around, but from what you say, definitely NOT the natural environment of a Yammy Cruiser :)

Thanks for taking the time though :thumb

I think an FJR1300 is still on the list, but Rosie hates them :(

Carbed Guzzi Cali FFS! :blast
Goes (well enough - especially if 'enhanced' :green gri)
Stops (Brembos)
Handles (yes - it DOES).
Reliable (piss off! - they ARE, IF basic care and feeding is seen to)

Simples.
~~
(enough with the brackets Og)

Carbed Guzzi Cali FFS! :blast

Just not big 'nuff Oggy..........Even my GSA needed some tweaking to get my size 14 boots to fit without breaking Rosie's toes on each gear change.........
plus a TT seat extension to give us seating room AND a home made rack to make it all work.

It would be great to find 'the perfect bike' for us without extensive and extensive mods having to be made, but I'm not sure it exists :(

Just not big 'nuff ... :(
Bugger. :(
I know what you mean though. At times even i struggle with my size 10s and Mrs Og size 4s on the Cali and it is only just long enough for all day comfort. Though the saddle is like a DFS sofa. :D
While a certain amount of 'personalising' of any Bike is de riguer - after a certain amount it's pointless PITA.
FWIW - the old K100 is the 'longest' Bike i've ever had :nenau

oh - ever tried a Caponord? i was on the back of one in Devon many years ago - there was me, the front wheel off the Cali in front of me and the rider (big and gangly like me) in front of it - and plenty of room. :D

Good Luck with the search :thumb2

I think an FJR1300 is still on the list, but Rosie hates them :(
Great bike, my mate and his missus use to tour on one before he gave up biking, 6,7 and 24 stone with no probs. The only thing i didnt like about it when i used it was the lack of 6th gear, felt very buzzy but i was used to twins by then. Tank range cruising at m-way speeds was about 240/50 and they are super reliable. Do hold their value really well so it aint easy to find a good cheap un.

FJR,
a mate had one - i had to carry half his feckin luggage on a long trip as the panniers are like a reverse Tardis; big on the outside / tiny inside. :mad:
He had wanted one for ages, did his research, got it and sold it shortly after.
The actual riding experience was good - but ownership with all the unseen niggles was not.

Great bike, my mate and his missus use to tour on one before he gave up biking, 6,7 and 24 stone with no probs. The only thing i didnt like about it when i used it was the lack of 6th gear, felt very buzzy but i was used to twins by then. Tank range cruising at m-way speeds was about 240/50 and they are super reliable. Do hold their value really well so it aint easy to find a good cheap un.

'05 one with luggage and 36k miles on it here for 4300.....seems reasonable. :nenau

I think we're going to have to take one out for a ride :thumb

$(KGrHqV,!qMFGBdUgLn9BRn5pK1OeQ~~60_57.JPG

xv1900

Had mine for years. And tavelled 1000s of km everywhere in all conditions.
One of the best handling cruisers I have ridden 50/50 weight distribution, massive forks and tyres, R1 brakes and aluminium frame.
People have to remember it is a cruiser!
The origonal sissy bar and screen are excellant as you can remove them and fit them in minutes.*
Very easy to work on as nothing realy will go wrong.
The engine has plenty of go in it and pulls and pulls.
Factory luggage is not massive but it is a cruiser. the factory sissy bar can have a rack fitted and a large roll bag on it.
I have easily travelled for 10 days on it.
One of the best bikes I have had in 25 years. It makes me smile and still scares me enough.
Have been riding it today in 34 degree heat with shades and factor 50.

If you really want a cruiser then try a Suzuki M1800R.

Great bike-only cruiser I've ever owned and it had so much grunt.

That cowl comes off to reveal a pillion seat and you can get sissy bars/panniers and all that shite.

Here's one

Back
Top Bottom