What's a used faulty ABS module worth?

On servo units the internal filters get blocked with crud. And the pressure valves stick leading to high pressure warning codes.

Makes a strong case for regular flushing and bleeding, using high-quality DOT 4 from a sealed container only, dunnit?

I remember someone on here a while back, saying that he thought flushing and bleeding brakes every year was expensive overkill, and expressing doubt that brake fluids are hygroscopic...

Denial can land a fellow in all sorts of trouble. :eek:

Makes a strong case for regular flushing and bleeding, using high-quality DOT 4 from a sealed container only, dunnit?

QUOTE]

Is it not DOT 5.1 on the 1200? Or is that just the DOHCs?

QUOTE]

Is it not DOT 5.1 on the 1200? Or is that just the DOHCs?

Have a careful look at the fluid filler cap. It'll say 'DOT 4 only'.
Although the DOT ratings are minimum standards for boiling- and water-absorption resistance, this is usually manufacturers shorthand for "Use ethylene glycol-based brake fluids only".

Next, take a look at the fluid manufacturers data sheet for the fluid you want to use. If it is glycol- and not silicone-based, you're safe. :thumb

hi grizzly, do you still have the abs module, if so, was it mechanical or electrical.
I`m after one for my 2004 gs, my circuit board burnt out after solder fatigue.

hi grizzly, do you still have the abs module, if so, was it mechanical or electrical.

It's not the same module,
2004 to 08/2006 Used IABS 1(?) An ABS unit with intigrated brake servo to assist braking.

From 08/2006 on they went to ABS 2 which was just an ABS unit.

Put your Vin number in to the following website, and you'll identify what ABS module you have

http://www.realoem.com/

Mart

Why is the silicone based Dot 5 not suitable in bike brakes? I understand to use it would mean totally cleaning the brake system (probably impossible) but what exactly is so bad about a brake fluid that does not absorb moisture?
Genuine question I'm not trying to throw a spanner.

Dot 5 silicone not compatible with seals causing swelling plus it foams with the on off action of bad valves .probably other reasons as well that I can't be arsed to find 🤗

If your drowning a cat use it in the sack instead of a useful brick!!.

Why is the silicone based Dot 5 not suitable in bike brakes? I understand to use it would mean totally cleaning the brake system (probably impossible) but what exactly is so bad about a brake fluid that does not absorb moisture?
Genuine question I'm not trying to throw a spanner.

One of the problems is that it doesn't absorb water. So if you get any water into your system it stays there.
Some folk also reckon DOT5 doesn't give as firm a feel. The brakes are always a bit spongy because its thicker, its a bugger to get all the air out.
So long as you're changing it at decent intervals DOT4 is better, I reckon.

You have the earlier type that had a servo. I believe it is possible to "de-ABS" a bike of your vintage, do a search of this forum to find out.
For the record I binned it. Also, I would never harm a cat :kitty:comfort

Sorry no I binned it. You have the earlier type of ABS anyway. As an option I believe it is possible to de-ABS one of your vintage - do a search on here to find out.

The ABS on my current Honda seems to get its pressurization from the gearbox output shaft.

Mine had 'failed' recently, and the codes suggested the ABS module (and the rear servo motor was making no sound). For info, it passed the MOT with the flashing lights, so that's not a problem (yet). I then washed the bike and the servo returned to life! Early days, so I have bought a spare module that the seller promised was good, and had been removed ahead of a big trip. So I have gone from no working module to two working ones. When I come to sell the bike I will let the prospective buyer know there had been an issue, but whatever, with a servoectomy available for £200, there isn't really an issue. I looked all over the place to find someone able to rebuild the earlier module (mine's an 05) with no luck. The later ones can be rebuilt.

Are you by chance the owner of a recently got tall screen Grizzly?

Back
Top Bottom