full lock slow speed turns

feckin beats me how some folk can have a £16k bike yet couldn't complete a satisfactory CBT:augie

How very dare you!!

I have a £20k bike!

- I have IAM and been riding 33 years, but I am fairly certain I would fail the CBT on the U turn! Hate the bloody things
- it is that fear of 300Kg lump dropping that tenses me up.

Given that its fairly certain Giles Or Timolgra or Lord Snooty to name only some of the Riding gods around here :D does this manoeuvre more often than he talks about doing it, the best advice is probably to pay him for a few hours of his time and he'll have you doing it hands free
;)

p.s;
wots round and angry? :confused:

a vicious circle. :blast
~~
:p

Most people complain about U turns. I better on Somedays & worse on Many.
The easiest solution is to keep on going & take the next left left or right right or find a big junction or roundabout.

I find it easier to do a U turn if I've already got momentum but the minute I have to stop then attempt one, I find it far more difficult - somehow I feel stretched out and the clutch lever feels out of reach (bar risers and the bars already moved).
I'm also rapidly learning that my GS is very top heavy :(

Most of us have survived without being able to do U turns, I wouldn't worry too much :)
How many car drivers can parallel park or do a 3 point turn?

How very dare you!!

I have a £20k bike!

- I have IAM and been riding 33 years, but I am fairly certain I would fail the CBT on the U turn! Hate the bloody things
- it is that fear of 300Kg lump dropping that tenses me up.

I'll say nothing:augie:D

As always, sorting the wheat from the chaff in any thread is the tricky part...
I think Giles exhaultation to practice "alsorts" comes closest to guiding you towards that which you seek, summed up in the five Ps - Practice Practice Practice..........
I too find it easy to perform the "full right lock from a standing start" or the full left or what ever variations you may choose because I have invested the first ten thousand hours practicing in my area of choice - learning to ride. Starting from the steady throttle/dab back brake/modulated clutch all in a straight line you can then progress as instructed to move on to L/R/cicles/8/16/one hand/nohand/sitting on the tank/whatever gives you pleasure.
Competence will only come from targeted practice.
Brian

When my missus was learning to ride, her friend told her that the U turn would be difficult to do..as a result she got that in her head and it became OMIGODTHEDREADEDUTURN...

Every time we went out for a ride I took her to a deserted dead end road near to here and we rode down to the bollard that had been left when the end of the road was closed,round it, and back up again. I didnt make a fuss if she put her foot down. After a couple of weeks, she could do this with no fuss or drama, slowly and under full control....and she could now also do a 'slow manouvre' in any road....which is all a U turn is.

If you let it become 'ABIGTHING', you will tense up and not do it well. And has been said...practice practice practice.

When my missus was learning to ride, her friend told her that the U turn would be difficult to do..as a result she got that in her head and it became OMIGODTHEDREADEDUTURN...

Every time we went out for a ride I took her to a deserted dead end road near to here and we rode down to the bollard that had been left when the end of the road was closed,round it, and back up again. I didnt make a fuss if she put her foot down. After a couple of weeks, she could do this with no fuss or drama, slowly and under full control....and she could now also do a 'slow manouvre' in any road....which is all a U turn is.

If you let it become 'ABIGTHING', you will tense up and not do it well. And has been said...practice practice practice.

Yes of course practice makes perfect, but the right instruction should be able to sort most people out after around 20 minutes, then when they practice they're reinforcing a correct technique :)

No one mentioned anything about having a cold versus warm engine. I set off from cold and did a u turn full of confidence but the engine had a little cut back which very nearly ended with me looking a bigger twat than usual. Luckily I compensated by whacking the throttle open which picked the bike up and straightened it out and went through the neighbours hedge. Luckily he was on holiday:augie

Andy Smith if 1st class tuition Cardiff, tell the story of teaching the previous actor who played Dr Who to ride a motorbike.

To avoid target fixation on the curb he yells at the rider "look at me".

So there he is in a housing estate, loads of kids and parents are out to gorp at the famous actor, and Andy is jumping up and down in the roads shouting "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Andy Smith if 1st class tuition Cardiff, tell the story of teaching the previous actor who played Dr Who to ride a motorbike.

To avoid target fixation on the curb he yells at the rider "look at me".

So there he is in a housing estate, loads of kids and parents are out to gorp at the famous actor, and Andy is jumping up and down in the roads shouting "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Absolutely, I often take my sunglasses off and stand in the road to get eye contact from around a third of the way into the turn.

Another issue with U turns, is not running parallel to the curb first and drifting into the road which of course makes it narrower leaving all the 'work' to be done at the end when the rider's conscious of the curb:blast

Body weight, balance, control and spacial awareness all help.

I've played on a 125 school bike doing U turns and figure of eights blindfolded:thumb

No one mentioned anything about having a cold versus warm engine. I set off from cold and did a u turn full of confidence but the engine had a little cut back which very nearly ended with me looking a bigger twat than usual. Luckily I compensated by whacking the throttle open which picked the bike up and straightened it out and went through the neighbours hedge. Luckily he was on holiday:augie

:jes:jes:jes

Practice, practice, practice.
After a lot of practice, I found it a piece of cake on my CB - I had got the feel for the bike and could do a U turn\figure 8 without any bother.

With the GS its now like starting all over again - the bike is taller, heavier and I'm a short @rse, so struggle to get my full foot on the ground anyway when I have to stop. So, its back to a local car park to start practicing again and build up the muscle memory.

What works for me is - Keep revs high and throttle constant, drag the clutch and brake to adjust the speed as needed and keep my head turned right round into the turn and looking where I want to go.

wasn't part of my test thirty something years ago and hardly ever needed to do a feet up U turn since.

i can do it, but not full lock and certainly no figure eights. not one of my strong points, i admit, but as it's a largely pointless exercise, i can't say i'm in the slightest bit bothered :nenau

start practising in a car park?? fuck off :p

Here's a few tips, from our American cousins:D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/30jCgfPjpXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WZx5RLSY02Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Games in the training ground is a great way to make learning interesting and constructive.

One thing that works very well is a sort of Pavlovs ringing bell idea.

In the car park play games that work on something specific. Talk about it, demo it, boot the idea around so that students completely 'get' the whole point and then jointly discuss with the group what to call it as a 'trigger' name. It has to be 'their name' so that the bell triggers their salivating!

So, say we take the idea of eyes across a corner and not staring at what yer riding over; Make an indi bowl in the training area (two long straights and two curves) as Tim suggests, stand at the exit of one curve and as they enter that curve hold up a number of fingers - get the student to look across at you even though his front wheel is pointing somewhere else - they have to shout out 'two' ... 'three' or what ever the number of fingers yer holding up, then practise it, then name it. Say the group decide to call it 'Rossis's eyes'. That's your Pavlov's Bell - on the radio, out on the road, all you have to say as they come into that tight roundabout, that right turn out of a side road where they risk running wide towards the kerb ... 'Rossi's Eyes' and nothing else. The bell rings in their head and they know exactly what to do.

I used to do this with a whole number of things. 'Rudolpf Nureyev' was stopping - like a swan, heel rolling onto toe. (not skip skip jump stamp..:rolleyes:). So we'd demo it, student practise it, understand why, the benefits .. group thinks of a name ... job done. Out on the road, the lights go red ... 'Rudolph Nureyev' ... student stops like a pro. :thumb2

Another one was 'the bastard game' :D Two cones, figure of eight, five students in the figure of eight all at the same time doing the old white helmets routine criss .. cross .. criss ..cross ..
Now add the twist - 'you must give way to the student coming from your right - but that student can 'be a bastard' and take as long as he likes to get through the centre of the figure of eight'.
The net result was a hoot - the students laughed their cocks off doing track stands and the like, getting all competitive trying to get one another to put their feet down. Discuss the serious side, group name .. out on the road.

So now a road ride is punctuated with salivating bells of commentary by the instructor - all you need say as you ride down the street is a collection of trigger points - the lights ahead are flashing amber; 'play the bastard game' you'd say down the radio, ahhhh sigh in deep content as all the ducklings check their mirror and then play a smooth bastard game with the ped-x rather than charging into it.

I still do this today with Rapid. Talk about an idea, really boot it to death so they completely understand it, name it, then use it as a trigger on the fly.

'Animal the drummer', 'Coast-lining', 'Rossi', 'Yo-Yo', 'step out', 'wide angle vision' ... etc etc ..

Great way to train ... :thumb

...but as it's a largely pointless exercise

Makes you look cool when out with your mates and they're doing 6 point turns, and you are feet up one side of the road, swing around to the other and away...while they're still shuffling back and forth...good enough reason for me :cool:

Back
Top Bottom