full lock slow speed turns

birdseye

Reaction score
so how do you do them without falling over?

I passed my test when the emergency stop was the examiner leaping from behind a parked car so I have never done the bike control training that I believe is in the current set up. As a result my U turns are usually Z turns often with several Zs.

Hold revs steady and oppose forward motion with rear brake, use clutch control to provide steady motion and look where you want to go, the bike will follow.

Start with a large slow circle and decrease size until comfortable, then try a large figure of eight and reduce in size as you improve.

EDIT: beat me to it desertyellow.

Practice.
Using the rear brake can be dispensed with if your balance is good and ultimately is un necessary ( or should be ).
Relax ( result of practice and good balance ).
Yes, look where you want to go - never down or you probably will.
You might try sitting half an arse cheek over to the outside of the turn.

With the bike in neutral apply front brake, engage first. Without any throttle let out the clutch until engine note alters. Depending on your bike the suspension with settle in some way. You have found 'the bite point'. Apply back brake, release front brake keeping clutch constant. the bike will re-settle. The only thing stopping your bike moving is the rear brake. That is now the only variable. Gently release the rear brake taking gentle 'big steps' with your left foot. As you become more comfortable lift both feet and keeping going in one direction. Pay heed to gradient. You will need to adjust the rear brake accordingly. You do not need any throttle.
After 10 mins stop. Your brain will now be fried and a drop is inevitable.
After a while come back and practice some more remembering to keep your grip on the bars very light. Don't lock the arms. Eventually you will be able to negotiate circles. (looking to the centre as previously mentioned) and figures of eight one handed without issue.

Honest! :aidan

Last edited:
With the bike in neutral apply front brake. Without any throttle let out the clutch until engine note alters. Depending on your bike the suspension with settle in some way. You have found 'the bite point'. Apply back brake, release front brake keeping clutch constant. the bike will re-settle. The only thing stopping your bike moving is the rear brake. That is now the only variable. Gently release the rear brake taking gentle 'big steps' with your left foot. As you become more comfortable lift both feet and keeping going in one direction. Pay heed to gradient. You will need to adjust the rear brake accordingly. You do not need any throttle.
After 10 mins stop. Your brain will now be fried and a drop is inevitable.
After a while come back and practice some more remembering to keep your grip on the bars very light. Don't lock the arms. Eventually you will be able to negotiate circles. (looking to the centre as previously mentioned) and figures of eight one handed without issue.

Honest! :aidan

Are you high?

:cool

A moving bike does not fall over, control the speed VERY carefully and slowly and twist your shoulders as far round as you can towards where you want to go. Don't let your accelerator run away with you.

1st gear
High revs
Rear brake on slightly
Ride the clutch
Look where you want to go not at the kerb

Oh yeah, make sure nothing is coming either way 1st :D

stall and you fall

Set revs to about 1250rpm and set clutch to just bite. Control speed with rear brake.

Practice controlling your speed in a straight line. Important to know that when you stall you fall.

After you have mastered controlling your speed in a straight line, start doing turns and controlling your speed in the same way. With lots of practice you will eventually be able to do full lock turns.

Don't forget "stall and you fall".

This manoeuvre is best practiced on some one else's bike until you master it:D

There is one reason only why riders struggle with slow turns and figure of eights.

Body weight.

If it's in the neutral or to the inside of your turn you're likely to feel the bike want to fall to the inside which causes you to put your foot down.

Practice shifting your body weight from the waist upward to the outside of your turn and don't drop your inside shoulder.

Indeed. I do a lot of this sort of stuff at work - parked up at the side of the road, in a jiffy I need to go the other way; full lock, from stationary, drive ..

And body weight plays a big part - and to help me do that I also grip the tank with my knees whilst I counter balance it ... :thumb2

As Timolgra says...
Look at this vid - note where the rider is looking as he turns...don't look 'ahead'.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sIGBa0S7bfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start off going as slow as you can in a straight line, imagine the front and rear wheels are attached by a piece of string which you have to keep taut. To achieve this, you need good clutch control, a steady throttle and good control of the rear brake, drag the brake rather than prod at it.

Once you are confident with this bit, put full lock turns in a circle into practice, then move onto figure of eight turns. Think about your body position when turning on locks ie. lean the bike into the turn and move your body weight in the opposite direction and look where you are going.

Look at the body positioning in the video below, his is more exaggerated because of the speed he is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kGi1tbtN0k

More tips here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-BDrAxjAFI

Don't over do the practice, it's more tiring than you think. Good luck.:thumb2

It looks like Timolgra covered some of what I have said whilst I was typing.:D

Some new riders find the bars wobble a bit whilst turning, yes relax but once the turn's initiated try a slight 'push' on the inside bar...almost 'taking up the slack', after a while you won't need to think about that and may not need it:)

feckin beats me how some folk can have a £16k bike yet couldn't complete a satisfactory CBT:augie

Back
Top Bottom