1450 or 1585?

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about getting a Glide, I have my eye on two examples.

One is a 2006 Electra Glide Ultra, the other is a 2007 Electra Glide Standard.

Now I fancy a standard, (less chrome, fewer bells and whistles), so I guess the '07 Standard fits the bill, so does anyone have direct experience of the the 1450 and 1585 motors?

(Just the throw a spanner into the works, I have also seen a really beautiful low mileage P reg Road King.......!!!! It is a bit expensive though IMHO)

If it is a 1340 carb then yes... If it's an early injection model then no.... If the ecu fails its £££££'s

You have to carry out a carb conversion....

How much is the RK......??

I have owned two 1450s, one in an Ultra (my current bike) and one in a Superglide. The only known issues that I was aware of were the standard primary chain tensioners, which need checking regularly. Other than that no real issues :nenau

Of course in 2006 the gear box was changed from my 2005 model and that may be the source of some issues in the future.

Buying a second hand HD is all about condition and service history. If it's been looked after and serviced properly with decent fluids then it'll be fine. If it's been budged by an incompetent / main dealer then it'll cost you money.

As far as model is concerned it's a lot cheaper to take chrome off than it is to add it ;)

If it is a 1340 carb then yes... If it's an early injection model then no.... If the ecu fails its £££££'s

You have to carry out a carb conversion....

How much is the RK......??

Yes, it's a carb RK with 13k miles on it and the asking price is £8990 from and independent dealer.

Update: the RK was sold for the asking price.

Yes, it's a carb RK with 13k miles on it and the asking price is £8990 from and independent dealer.

That is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive...IMO.......£7k if it's very tidy...( I'm talking 1340 carbs here..)

High mileage/snotters will start at £5k.....nice ones 6k plus....

£8990 is a bit rich...

Just seen your update.... Must have had gold bars in the panniers...

Seriously thinking about getting a Glide, I have my eye on two examples.

One is a 2006 Electra Glide Ultra, the other is a 2007 Electra Glide Standard.

Now I fancy a standard, (less chrome, fewer bells and whistles), so I guess the '07 Standard fits the bill, so does anyone have direct experience of the the 1450 and 1585 motors?

My 04 Dyna has the 88 ci and my 09 EG Standard the 96 (1585). The 88 was stroked to make the 96. But there were a lot of improvements done as well. I would say the 96 is the better motor it produces 17% more torque, has the improved cam chain tensioner setup, and 6 speed transmission.
I really like my EG Standard with no tour trunk, radio, lowers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom