DR 350 Starting Issues.

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got a 1991 DR 350 and it's a bitch to start when cold.:( Once it's warm it starts second or third kick. Once running it pulls like a train. Anyone got any pointers? :nenau It's got a new plug, oil, air filter etc. There's a good spark every kick so not a problem there. I'm thinking along the line of the carb. :nenau Anyone know if there's a kit for refurbing it or is there someone on here that can overhaul them? I know nothing about carbs at all. Gotta get this sorted soon. :bow

I've got a 1991 DR 350 and it's a bitch to start when cold.:( Once it's warm it starts second or third kick. Once running it pulls like a train. Anyone got any pointers? :nenau It's got a new plug, oil, air filter etc. There's a good spark every kick so not a problem there. I'm thinking along the line of the carb. :nenau Anyone know if there's a kit for refurbing it or is there someone on here that can overhaul them? I know nothing about carbs at all. Gotta get this sorted soon. :bow

My 1991 DR350 was a complete bitch to start, IIRC

Tried allsorts, but nothing seemed to work, it had a mind of its own, that's why the later ones were electric start

Luckily (in hindsight), it was stolen in 1992 and with the insurance money, I bought a Honda.................never looked back

Dot know if it,ll help....got to start mine with full choke and no throttle...if I give it any throttle at all it doesn't want to know....once started its as sweet as a nut :thumb

I had one which was a bitch to start as well, check the tappets, worked a treat on mine:thumb

Dot know if it,ll help....got to start mine with full choke and no throttle...if I give it any throttle at all it doesn't want to know....once started its as sweet as a nut :thumb

Snap !

Using the no throttle method always worked on mine as long as the petrol tap was on.

It was a sight easier to start than my EXC400 with electric start, which of course was fairly poor.

+1 push the throttle against the stopper as you kick it.

Back in 1991 I purchased one of the early ones brand new, together with a mate from 'Chucks' in Brentwood at a top price. We did a lot of riding together tame lanes and the like, and thoroughly enjoyed them. I could always start mine second kick from cold first when warm, Paul would always end up sweating his nuts off :comfort

But I was always able to start his bike without major issue. The trick was not to even touch the throttle if you can, get it set up as per the Suzuki manual and then swing hard.......

Paul spent ages changing plugs, having the carb set, and a host of other stuff, he never managed to master it :augie

:thumb2

I have a '91 DR250 with electric start and that doesn't like being cold either.
Some folk swear that turning off the petrol then running the bike til dry before your store it away works but I've not found that makes much difference.
However, I will run it dry if it's going to be stood a while. Then it seems to like the petrol being turned on for a good 5 mins before I try to start it (even with the choke) & I never touch the throttle.

Take a look at this vid, albeit a 650, it may just help.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/upAwsYTiyuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some folk swear that turning off the petrol then running the bike til dry before your store it away works but I've not found that makes much difference. ... .

I've had some success with this approach - the needle valve was sticking closed.
Alternatively drain the float bowl.

Last edited:
There's a massive DR350 thread in Thumpers over on www.ADVrider.com if that's any help to you.........Hundreds of pages about starting and carb mods etc.

My 98 DR350SE was a fantastic wee bike until I sold it a few weeks back for a G650GS Sertao and started using the following method..............Hold mug of coffee in left hand and press the button with your right hand until the motor fired............Worked every time!:D

FP.

Yebbut you're a rich farmer who can afford that sort of bike. I'm stuck with my 91 DR350. :thumb

Ahmmm....I think you,ll find....ALL FARMERS ARE RICH.....:D

:hide

Tenant farmer............There's a big difference............It's my landlord or 'Laird' who's the rich one!

DR350 is just like a two wheeled Landrover...........I love them but the kick start one is hardcore!:thumb

Probably a silly statement, but is it the correct plug?

I've a DR 200, and again cold it was a cow to start. Checked everything, great fat spark, tappets, compression, all good. Went to local bike shop, for a new plug....just in case......, checked in their ref book, wrong plug. Correct one looked exactly the same, but what a difference!! Starts first touch of button now:)

mibbies sound a bit odd this
on my dr 350 when its cold it is a monster to start BUT if i crack open the drain screw at the bottom side of the carb and drain out just a teaspoon full of fuel then re nip it IT then starts easily I was given this tip by an experienced bike tech. It is in no way clear to me what this actually does ,but it works every time
If you try it on yours and it works let me know !!

We had three at work for off road use, two were instant starters the other one was an absolute pig, workshops swapped bits around etc and it was always a pain to start !

start up

iv,e a 95m/plate 441cc big carb big header pipe tail pipe etc,pull the choke out no throttle,1st 2nd kick all the time.check your tappets.:thumb2

By jove I think I've finally sorted it! Put a refurb kit in the carb, a new spark plug in, new plug cap, new ignition coil and lead. :blast Not a fat lot else it could've been really. Hey ho.

Now, where's me lid! :clap

Back
Top Bottom