Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. New and secondhand BMW parts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Numb Bum & Back Pain..

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    One of the problems with the upright seating position of the GS is most people have a tendency to slouch in the saddle, this puts a strain on the lower back hence the pain, I doubt it's the seat, though that will cause a numb bum.

Lot's of advice on here about seats but each is subjective and may not work for you. Personally I use a Sargent, along with risers from NN, this combo enables me to sit back in the widest part of the seat. For long journeys I still use my air hawk, this fits nicely into the shape of the Sargent.

For your back you could get a personal trainer, spend hours a week strengthening your core muscles or do like me and get a back-a-line belt from the US. This looks like a normal kidney belt but it works in a different way as there is no stretch in it and it has a preformed plate that fits to the curve of your lower spine. Solved my lower back pain overnight, I've used it for some 10+ hour days with absolutely no aches or pains in my back. Thoroughly recommended.

Do the core exercises anyway**. Weak abs lead to excessive lumbar curve and that leads to back pain - especially when the suspension bottoms out.

** Get proper advice doing these exercises wrong can be worse than not doing them at all. They are all about posture not power.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

ive got a corbin front and rear going spare

I was having the same problem with my mk 2 standard seat too. I simply set the front notch to high and kept the rear notch at standard so that it now sits my arse back in the widest part of the seat. It seems to have worked and cost me feck all

It does leave a bit of a gap between the tank and the front seat but that doesn't bother me ........yet

After about 2 hours, the standard GS seat dug into my tail bone. The GSA seat was better, but just too tall for me. I now have a standard height Kahedo which is generally better but still a plank after 2 hours. Setting it front high, back low helps but then my legs feel scrunched and the bars feel too high. Landing gear anyone?
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

My GSA seat was ok for 100 miles or so but after that, it became very uncomfortable, almost unbearable on a long run through France last year.

I bought a new Sergent seat for the front and a Sergent seat cover for the rear to match - I don't carry pillions. It took a couple of weeks to wear in but it is now comfortable for literally hours in the saddle with no adverse affects. Highly recommended!

Seats

I got a sore bum on my 1150 after about 100 miles so brought a Corbin, expensive but wonderful after it ,had settled in 800 miles in a day with no discomfort. Found the 1200 seat too soggy so got a Corbin on the for sale page brilliant. So try for a s/h seat if no like sell it for what you paid.
    Old GSer's never die, they just fall off more often!.

Got an Touratech Comfort Seat (450 GBP in Sweden) and bar risers for my GSA. Happy as can be.

Try standing on the pegs every now and then. Especially effective alongside coach loads of dance troops. I often find they scream as I peer through the bus window, guess they must be mistaking me for ewan

Fat blokes bounce better

"The human race is being overun by muppets, it's like fraggle f*ckin rock down here!!!"

flipfly - Dec 2012

Hi Guys,

Your replies are starting to be a great help to me, & you GSer's with Corbin Seat
    might be able to assist me further.

On the Corbin website it states the Corbin seat height on the 1200GS is 32" this is roughly the same height as the Sargent LOW model.

I'm 6'2" & 17 stone & led to believe a LOW seat would not be suitable for my size.

What do you think????

Cheers,
    Mike

Pro Conveen fitter Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Seats address one part of the anatomy.

The Arse.

Now, I'm no ergonomic expert, nor am I qualified in whatever fekkin qualification deals with spinal orientation, trapped nerves and arse numbness, but it seems to me that everyone so far has just focussed on the bum comfort thing....not surprising really, Bum positioning is very important to many of those in the 12 section

Try another approach....and, a far simpler and FAR less expensive option than going for a certain seat by a certain manufacturer that happens to fit the certain shaped fat arse of whichever reviewer recommended it

Your spine controls affects nearly all of your body....certainly your coccyx which is at the base of it, and also things that you haven't complained of like tingly fingers etc etc.

Changing the position of the spine, its orientation and bend, can have an enormous effect on arse comfort.....so I'd genuinely suggest that you borrow/buy a set of bar risers that will let you fiddle both UPWARDS, BACKWARDS AND DOWNWARDS with your hand positioning......hands effect arms effect shoulders effect spine.

People here are so willing to immediately shout out about their own particular seat solution, but a lot of it tends to be "oooh look, I spent a thousand pounds on a top of the range seat, I love it" rather than a properly considered approach to WHY you are feeling the pain......these wankers who recommend these posh seats omit to say that they may well have tried 5 types before, all at four hundred plus notes a pop, and all that they've ended up with is a seat position that hides the ergonomic causes for ther discomfort, rather than curing the reason for it in the first place

We're talking about numbness and lower back pain here, not compression sores on old fart's arse skin that may be fixed by spreading out the pressure across a big fat bum area

Start with the basics.....position, reach, angles, posture, compression

PS I'm feeling aggressive tonight........but I stand by what I just said

And you're not wrong.

Got a modified seat and bar risers, spent ages trying to improve the comfort. It's not perfect but it is better than it was as standard so nothing lost, and more money probably won't make any more improvement.
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA

Euro - GSer Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    Seats address one part of the anatomy.

The Arse.

Now, I'm no ergonomic expert, nor am I qualified in whatever fekkin qualification deals with spinal orientation, trapped nerves and arse numbness, but it seems to me that everyone so far has just focussed on the bum comfort thing....not surprising really, Bum positioning is very important to many of those in the 12 section

Try another approach....and, a far simpler and FAR less expensive option than going for a certain seat by a certain manufacturer that happens to fit the certain shaped fat arse of whichever reviewer recommended it

Your spine controls affects nearly all of your body....certainly your coccyx which is at the base of it, and also things that you haven't complained of like tingly fingers etc etc.

Changing the position of the spine, its orientation and bend, can have an enormous effect on arse comfort.....so I'd genuinely suggest that you borrow/buy a set of bar risers that will let you fiddle both UPWARDS, BACKWARDS AND DOWNWARDS with your hand positioning......hands effect arms effect shoulders effect spine.

People here are so willing to immediately shout out about their own particular seat solution, but a lot of it tends to be "oooh look, I spent a thousand pounds on a top of the range seat, I love it" rather than a properly considered approach to WHY you are feeling the pain......these wankers who recommend these posh seats omit to say that they may well have tried 5 types before, all at four hundred plus notes a pop, and all that they've ended up with is a seat position that hides the ergonomic causes for ther discomfort, rather than curing the reason for it in the first place

Start with the basics.....position, reach, angles, posture, compression

PS I'm feeling aggressive tonight........but I stand by what I just said
    You're talking out of your arse again

Bar risers aren't all they're cracked up to be and may make it worse for someone under 5'9

I agree with you on seats to a degree though as I have 2 Corbin seats for a 1150 GS - a single GSA variant & the twin seat GS version

The twin GS seat Corbin is far better than the single in terms of comfort for me

Ignore Bill - aftermarket seats do work - but some are better than others
    JohnnyBoxer

RJB Asset Finance - Vehicle, Machinery & Equipment Finance for Agricultural, Commercial and Rural Business

So many roads...........So little time......

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Fanum makes some very good points.

If you want a cheap way to find out if playing around with seats will help, get a £5 inflatable pillow off eBay. I've got one that I occasionally use and it must be 5 years old now. Low inflation and just bung it on your seat to see if that helps. If it does keep using it or spend some dosh on something more permanent.

Andres
    Supermoto's not a wheel size it's a state of mind......

Pro Conveen fitter Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    You're talking out of your arse again
    Ignore Bill - aftermarket seats do work - but some are better than others
    IF the problem is caused by contact, hip orientation etc, yes they may well be of great use to YOU.

The first place to start with a numb bum/lower back issue though is surely NOT an expensive and highly hit and miss (in terms of if it works for you) seat.....it has to be back to basics

Aftermarket seats may well work, but IMO they shouldn't be the first resort

Just because your fat middle aged soft arse benefited from the most expensive seat you could find, 'doesn't mean I'm talking out of my arse JB......I'm just telling it as I see it

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

I have found Sargents to be no better, it's all bout position imho. as mentioned above, don't jump in for the expensive solution.

i did 490 miles back from Thurso to Warrington last Friday without any major twinges, front of seat on High position, rear of seat in Low position, and my forcefield back protector velcro pulled in a bit tighter giving my back some support (rather than having a back protector in the "pouch" of my jacket).

about half way down when stopping for fuel, I chucked the £10 lambland sheepskin pad on, but it was not really needed, all that was needed was a shuffle in the seat every now and again.

I have had Sargent's and a Kahedo off here second hand, and neither of them really worked for me, the GSA seat is ok if you tweak the position, and shuffle around a bit.

Biggest improvement for me was ditching the back protector in my Rukka, and going back to using my old "strap on" (oooeeeer) Forcefield.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast