Numb Bum & Back Pain..

Halesowen Kid

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The stock seat on my recently acquired R1200GS Mk2 is not at all comfortable, to the point where my bum gets very numb, causing discomfort in my lower back...

Have you suffered like me, & how did you overcome the problem?

Did you buy another make of seat, air cushion, or gel pad?

Help please.

Mike

Sargents are brilliant, but also consider a seat refinisher... that way you could resculpt seat to your preference and have it also finished in your colour scheme and finish.... new colours, piping, logos, etc.

I had a Sargent on my GSA1200 and it was amazing (but pricey) but previous bikes' seats were resculpted, with fancy piping, basketweave finishes and special colours all of which made the bike look A1.

Choice, and more choice, makes you happy.

Yes I had exactly the same problem as yourself and still do, I had a gel put in the stock seat but its no better so than I brought the TT comfort seats fr/r £715 ouch ! however it was slightly better but the pain went from my back to my legs ie pins and needles and my ass felt like it had been slapped with a plank so seats went back and refund given, I did 630 miles non stop thro Germany to home with the TT seats and I walked like John Wayne when I got off the bike and my ass took a week to recover.

Now I'm not sure what's nxt tony archer ! as Sargent are not out till the end of the year.

I never had this issue with my TC but the LC is totally different regarding ergonomics the bars are more forward and the risers are straight rather than swept back like the TC.

I never had this issue with my TC but the LC is totally different regarding ergonomics the bars are more forward and the risers are straight rather than swept back like the TC.

Ahh that explains it, I don't have a problem with the seat, I find it much more comfortable than my TC, but my shoulders ache on the LC. Need some risers that move the bars back.

Sargent seat for me,I've already got mine ordered for the WC as soon as they're released.(20% discount for early orders)
Hopefully before I head off for the Pyrenees in Sept.

Steve

Hi Guys,

The stock seat on my recently acquired R1200GS Mk2 is not at all comfortable, to the point where my bum gets very numb, causing discomfort in my lower back...

Help please.

Mike

I think you need to "man up" you are from the black country!
lower back can be an issue on adventure bike for many folk that weirdo nick sanders says that the sit up position is not right for distance riding and says that the fetal position make more sense, while an R1 would be a bit extreme he dose make a good point. I fitted gsa seats to my gs which helps a little, but the GS is a bike that makes you ride longer and longer distances so something is going to hurt.

I think you need to "man up" you are from the black country!
lower back can be an issue on adventure bike for many folk that weirdo nick sanders says that the sit up position is not right for distance riding and says that the fetal position make more sense, while an R1 would be a bit extreme he dose make a good point. I fitted gsa seats to my gs which helps a little, but the GS is a bike that makes you ride longer and longer distances so something is going to hurt.

I just wonder if you guys are using the seats correctly? I rode to the Black Forest and back a couple of weeks ago and it was comfortable all the way. Though watch those pesky cylinders if you decide to extend your legs forward to stretch.

Hi Guys,

Help please.

Mike

A friend of mine had the same problem,He ended up selling it and bought a S10 :)

Hi Guys,

Sorry I should have stated in my first post that I do not own a WC....

Your replies I thank you for....:thumb

Sargent seems to be popular alternative, how about Corbin?

Who parks their bum on a Corbin?

I do - but not on a WC

I have Corbins on both my GSA's, a bit heavy & a fiddle to fit, but superbly comfortable seats

Incidentally I have a Sargent too, but always choose the Corbin over it for a long tour

AS I am 6'5 I found any bike a bit too uncomfortable.
GS higher seat position is fine but if I go somewhere far (900 miles to Poland in one go) I use my airpillow and lower seat settting
Instead of buying expensive Airhawk I use square pillow for disabled on wheelchairs. Same technology, half the price.

Hi Guys,

Sorry I should have stated in my first post that I do not own a WC....

Your replies I thank you for....:thumb

Sargent seems to be popular alternative, how about Corbin?

Now moved to the correct section:thumb

One of the problems with the upright seating position of the GS is most people have a tendency to slouch in the saddle, this puts a strain on the lower back hence the pain, I doubt it's the seat, though that will cause a numb bum.

Lot's of advice on here about seats but each is subjective and may not work for you. Personally I use a Sargent, along with risers from NN, this combo enables me to sit back in the widest part of the seat. For long journeys I still use my air hawk, this fits nicely into the shape of the Sargent.

For your back you could get a personal trainer, spend hours a week strengthening your core muscles or do like me and get a back-a-line belt from the US. This looks like a normal kidney belt but it works in a different way as there is no stretch in it and it has a preformed plate that fits to the curve of your lower spine. Solved my lower back pain overnight, I've used it for some 10+ hour days with absolutely no aches or pains in my back. Thoroughly recommended.

Do the core exercises anyway**. Weak abs lead to excessive lumbar curve and that leads to back pain - especially when the suspension bottoms out. :(

** Get proper advice doing these exercises wrong can be worse than not doing them at all. They are all about posture not power.

I was having the same problem with my mk 2 standard seat too. I simply set the front notch to high and kept the rear notch at standard so that it now sits my arse back in the widest part of the seat. It seems to have worked and cost me feck all :thumby:

It does leave a bit of a gap between the tank and the front seat but that doesn't bother me ........yet :augie

Back
Top Bottom