Wander - Saturday 14 September (noon) to Sunday 15 September - St Quent

Let me contact the hotel to juggle a room or two about. Fingers crossed, we should be OK.

Is there still room for one?

Via the power of Franglais, I have reconfirmed our revised booking.

You are in. Book your train ticket.

WANDER NOW FULLY SUBSCRIBED

Wapping
Brenchleyhibs
Joybringer
Kev B
Paula
Hare About
Wilburt (double)

There is the possibilty of a spare single room, one of the Wanderers maybe having to attend to some family business on or around the middle of September.

These things happen, so no harm done.

Anyway, is there anyone out there who might want to step in as first reserve?

Richard

Room at the inn....

The spare room is, 'ahem.... still spare, if anyone wants to come along.

Wapping
Brenchleyhibs
Kev B
Paula
Hare About
Wilburt (double)

If there's still a spare place.... I'd like to take this off your hands please? New tyres needing a good scrubbing in 👍 - Al

Looking forward to meeting you guys. Trains booked. Tyres should be well sorted and scrubbed in before the tunnel! :thumb2

Wapping
Brenchleyhibs
Kev B
Paula
Hare About
Wilburt (double)
alleycam

I have created a route based on the jaunt we made in July.

Notes:

(1) I plan to be at the Chunnel in good time before departure and have a coffee in the 'Travellers experience' thing. I have taken up parking in the dedicated bike parking area. Take a bit of care when parking as some of your fellow bikers are sometimes not the brightest shillings in the box, doing their best to block earlier arrivals in.

(2) As we are on a later than usual crossing it's hard to find somewhere for lunch. I suggest we bring a sandwich to either scoff on the train or when we stop for a coffee, probably in Albert in the mid to late afternoon.

(3) Loading of the train has become a real lottery of late. I have therefore routed us into the fuel station straight after leaving the train, just to gather ourselves up. If by chance you / we are on a freight train there is a chance the exit arrow on arrival in France directs you left not right at the top of the ramp. IGNORE the arrow, turn right. The left turn arrow is the usual freight route, past the giant lorry fuel depot. It's a real bitch to get back, particularly if others are at the other fuel station waiting.

(4) We have a stretch of motorway from Calais to junction 8 at Cambrai, about 45 minutes. It costs a few euro.

(5) Fuel. Please can everyone get on the train with a full tank.

Calais to St Quentin is about 120 miles. Please can we all top-up again on arrival in St Q, ready for the next morning's departure. Here's why:

(A) Fuel on the next day is a bit few thin on the ground before we get to St Valerie, 140 miles away. So, unless your bike can do 260 miles comfortably, you ain't going to make it all the way from Calais. If it can, great.

(B) My bike and Paula's will do about 160 miles before expiring. As I would like to have more than 20 miles leeway in case of problems, she and I can splash some in at Peronne on the Sunday too, which will give us maybe 60 miles spare.

There is lots of fuel at St Valerie and again on the short run of motorway to skip out Boulogne.

(6) Sunday: Sunday's total mileage back to Calais is about 220 miles, so a decent day's schlep. If we can get going at 09:00 wheels rolling, that would be great. Lunch is another tricky one, as the return route does not throw up any obvious stops. Last time I nipped out and bought everyone a baguette, which we eat at Picquiny, which worked fine. I suggest we do the same this time.

(7) We have six bikes, which is somewhere between running the marker 'drop-off' system or not. I think we might as well do it as it keeps everyone together. We got broken up in July; no great problem but we probably lost an hour whilst we regathered.

(8) I will PM everyone my mobile number.

Richard

Attachments

• September St Q.zip
    88.3 KB · Views: 113
Slight problemo.....

Richard me ol' fruit - how much notice do you need to cancel a room without incurring a charge?

I've had to take the GS into Coopers this morning with an oil leak (it looks like the FD input shaft oil seal leaking!) following our return from a Spain/Portugal trip on Saturday. I'll not know until Wednesday probably whether I'll get the bike back by 9am on Saturday morning, just giving me time to make the Chunnel crossing.

If I need to, what is the latest I can notify you of cancellation..?

Apologies and all that,
Andy
:(

Andy,

No worries, these things happen.

Let me talk to the hotel tomorrow AM.

I suspect they will be OK.

What I'll try to do is re-confirm our booking, with the owner taking a note that one of the single rooms is TBA, with us to reconfirm by say Friday afternoon.

Fingers crossed you'll be OK anyway :thumb2

All rooms reconfirmed today:

Wapping
Brenchleyhibs (held opent to Friday lunchtime, subject to reconfiramtion)
Kev B
Paula
Hare About
alleycam
Wilburt (double)

====

Andy, as per my email, I have held your roome open. It's quite a big hotel, so I don't anticipate a problem finding you a space if (after lunch) it transpires you can come. Fingers crossed you'll be OK etc. etc.

All is well!! (apparantly.....),

Suspected oil leak has been diagnosed as a combination of water (from Monday's downpour) and excess white grease (from the recent FD rebuild).

Also the noticeable knocking noise on tickover in neutral is thought to be clutchplate rattling on the shaft/splines (following the recent clutch replacement??).

So I'm good to go and should see you all at the Chunnel for the 11.50 crossing on Sat.

Cheers :beerjug:
Andy

Richard - thanks for you assistance with the room, please confirm my attendance (subject to transmission failures of course :augie ).

Hoorah :thumb2

Thanks for the good news, Andy.

I will let the hotel know that we are all OK.

Thought I'd be the first to set off... Sat in a cheap B&B in Folkestone just a few minutes from the tunnel... Ha just know I'm going to get lost in ghe morning! Came down in that fine rain, you know, the kind that really gets you wet!

Looking forward to the fun wind and rain ahead :thumb

Back
Top Bottom