Layers?

AchtungPanzer

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I’ll get straight to the point of this post, me and the little lady are going to be touring around europe in the next two or three months. Since we'll be travelling light {tail pack and tank bag on both bikes}, our main concern is clothing related; mainly layers.

Over the past few weeks I have been searching the internet and chatting to friends regarding the subject only to end up more confused, I understand the principle around layering so there is no confusion regarding that aspect of it.

The confusion is more along the lines of what brand offers the best all round package, we would greatly appreciate any input regarding the matter and thank everybody in advance.

Try the brand 'Troll' I'm sure you've heard of it:thumb

Hello everybody

I’ll get straight to the point of this post, me and the little lady are going to be touring around europe in the next two or three months. Since we'll be travelling light {tail pack and tank bag on both bikes}, our main concern is clothing related; mainly layers.

Over the past few weeks I have been searching the internet and chatting to friends regarding the subject only to end up more confused, I understand the principle around layering so there is no confusion regarding that aspect of it.

The confusion is more along the lines of what brand offers the best all round package, we would greatly appreciate any input regarding the matter and thank everybody in advance.

dont know if they have an offer on at the moment but the best I have ever had is the Aldi or lidl ones, cheap as chips and really work.
Failing that, some of the bamboo stuff is good, i.e. woven from bamboo fiber, I have a couple of t shirts.
For what its worth as everyone is different, I have a draggin jeans Kevlar long sleeve top which I wear over a base layer, protection and warm, if I need a bit more a t shirt goes on and less I leave out the base layer, that does me all year round.
If its cold I will also wear the base layer longjohns but other than that just my normal riding strides.

but honestly the aldi and lidl stuff is the mutts nuts, and at about £10 per item much less than some of the stupid price stuff in the bike shops.

have a look at this video, Introduction to Layers....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F4EooYoYYTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheapest is the base layer kit from Aldi/Lidl , also Mountain Warehouse does a good line of cheap baselayer t shirts as do Regatta and Tresspass.

Have a look at Dare2b(other makes are available) mid baselayer tops that are like a lightweight softshell that easily fits under jackets and are really warm for very little bulk. Also lightweight fleece tops are great for use on the bike when you need more than just a t shirt .

For off bike use they are also good , re trousers look at the lightweight Craghopper Nosi Lite or similar , they weigh next to nothing and pack up half the size of normal walking trousers and a third the size of a pair of jeans

I just go through the sale rails at Go Outdoors/ Great Outdoors or similar.

Get yourself to one of Cotswold's discount places 9you'll have to check on the internet for addresses). They do big discounts on hiking stuff: I recently got some great Coolmax-type t-shirts and a long sleeved merino wool t-shirt to layer over for more warmth.

They have a big selection to choose from usually

Back
Top Bottom