chrome polishing question

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to clean the zorst (headers and end can) on my R1200R. Rock n roll or what?

So I dig out my tube of "Autosol Brilliant Chrome Aluminium and Metal Polish" which "cleans polishes protects chrome aluminium stainless steel brass copper".

It's even got a picture of an old skool chromey motybike on the package.

BUT....... tube also says "*PLEASE NOTE Not recommended for use on mirror finish surfaces eg mirror finish alloy wheels (unlacquered), chrome motorcycle trim, chrome finished plastic. For these applications use Autosol M1 Cleansing Polich for chrome-plated plastic." I've added the bold bit for present purposes.

I'm fairly sure I've got mirror finished chrome on both the can and down pipes - piccy here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3367770&postcount=1

I've had a search on here but most chrome posts are about blue down pipes, which I'm not arsed about. I don't however want to b*gger up my pipes using the wrong thing.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but this isn't clear - should I use it or not? It seems to say "Chrome Polish - not for use on (some) chrome". What for example is the definition of motorcycle trim? Does it include zorst end cans and down pipes? If 2 bits of the same bike are both chrome, why should you use this when it's not trim, but not use it when it is trim? It's still made of the same stuff.

I saw the same warning on another tube of (ahem) chrome polish, the name of which now escapes me. So it's not just the Autosol peeps.

The simple answer would just be to buy some Autosol M1 but even then, M1seems to be for chrome plated plastic which isn't what I wish to clean polish and protect. Also, I've already got some normal autosol and little patience :rolleyes:

Other possibilities are: never read the instructions on anything (ignorance is bliss) and; I'm too stupid to be trusted with anything so potentially toxic as metal polish :blast :D

Any words of wisdom from the collective?

BUT....... tube also says "*PLEASE NOTE Not recommended for use on mirror finish surfaces eg mirror finish alloy wheels (unlacquered), chrome motorcycle trim, chrome finished plastic. For these applications use Autosol M1 Cleansing Polich for chrome-plated plastic." I've added the bold bit for present purposes.

The simple answer would just be to buy some Autosol M1 but even then, M1seems to be for chrome plated plastic which isn't what I wish to clean polish and protect.

...nah fuck it I can't be bothered:D

Chrome polish

if your pipes are in fairly good nick use autoglym super resin polish as you would polish a car with its also made for mirror finish chrome work as well :thumb

I have a MB 320 CDI with silly little plastic chrome strips down the side - just starting to show a bloom\discolouration - will this Autosol M1 Cleansing Polish be the right stuff for them?

Doubt it...once 'chrome' plastic starts degrading it's generally fecked.

Any of the metal polishes are bad news on good chrome because they're abrasive to some degree or other....that's how they remove light pitting or surface rust.
A bodywork resin polish as mentioned above or even good old Mr Sheen or Pledge is ideal for getting it shiny after a washdown.
WD40 is good too but it takes some skill and patience to remove rainbow streaks which appear.

For the OP there are 'blue removers' available...but the blueing will return again.

Looking to clean the zorst (headers and end can) on my R1200R. Rock n roll or what?

So I dig out my tube of "Autosol Brilliant Chrome Aluminium and Metal Polish" which "cleans polishes protects chrome aluminium stainless steel brass copper".

It's even got a picture of an old skool chromey motybike on the package.

I'm fairly sure I've got mirror finished chrome on both the can and down pipes - piccy here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3367770&postcount=1

I've had a search on here but most chrome posts are about blue down pipes, which I'm not arsed about. I don't however want to b*gger up my pipes using the wrong thing.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but this isn't clear - should I use it or not? It seems to say "Chrome Polish - not for use on (some) chrome". What for example is the definition of motorcycle trim? Does it include zorst end cans and down pipes? If 2 bits of the same bike are both chrome, why should you use this when it's not trim, but not use it when it is trim? It's still made of the same stuff.

I saw the same warning on another tube of (ahem) chrome polish, the name of which now escapes me. So it's not just the Autosol peeps.

The simple answer would just be to buy some Autosol M1 but even then, M1seems to be for chrome plated plastic which isn't what I wish to clean polish and protect. Also, I've already got some normal autosol and little patience :rolleyes:

Other possibilities are: never read the instructions on anything (ignorance is bliss) and; I'm too stupid to be trusted with anything so potentially toxic as metal polish :blast :D

Any words of wisdom from the collective?

I'm presuming you have the chrome plated exhaust, so as long as you don't use Autosol too often, you should be ok.
True, it is abrasive, so over time you will polish through to the stainless steel underneath.
That's the way I see it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom