Reflections on Scratching the itch - Nordkapp 2013

Walrus, what a great trip and an epic ride report, thank you so much for taking the time to post the details of your trip. It is an itch for me and has been for some time.

I for one would be interested in more details of your route as I will get to the north cape at some stage when I can find the time and have funds available at the same time.

Micky

Thanks for that. I just read your report - great read. It's fascinating to get another perspective on the place. We did indeed cover a lot of the same ground although not always in the same direction. The trip over the top and down into Lysebotn was one of the highlights for me. I would have liked to ride out again just to go up that road. :beerjug:

Daffy

Thank you. I will try to stitch together a record of the route and post it. I'm not far away if you ever decide to go and want to pick what's left of my brain. :beerjug:

That's a great report, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Many thanks for taking the time to write and post your ride report. I really enjoyed it.

My wife & I did the trip to Nordcap a couple of years ago (on a coach) and I was underwhelmed. But we loved the Lofoton Islands and the bit of inland Norway we saw. So I would be really interested in seeing your route as I would like to go back and re-visit the Lofotons and do the south of Norway.

- so if you have any suggestions for a shortened version of your route, I would love to hear them.

Enjoy your summer riding

I've just finished reading this, thanks for taking the time to post it. It's inspired me to go, I've been put off going for several years because of the cost, but it's definitely back on the list.

June 17th - The history bit

Good breakfast this morning and the best stolen lunch sandwich yet: ham, salami, cheese, beetroot and coleslaw. The view of the ski slopes was not pretty as I left town but look at the sky. And that is how it stayed all day.

IMG_0750-M.jpg

I was soon into the familiar ascent then out on to the fells, or fjells as we say here. You can just see the western edge of the Hardangervidda in the distance.

P1030046-M.jpg

There really is very little traffic on the roads. I saw three cars a lorry and three bikes in the first 60 miles this morning. I am avoiding main roads but it is such a beautifully empty country. It makes you realise how crowded our little island is.
There was a lovely, twisty, long descent down a wooded valley following the river

IMG_0763-M.jpg

until I got to the shores of the lake I was looking for

P1030052-M.jpg

In particular, this bit

P1030051-M.jpg

because beneath this bit lies the wreck of the Hydro

IMG_0767-M.jpg

And that is important because it was vital piece of sabotage which helped incapacitate the German push to build an atom bomb before the Americans.

IMG_0766-M.jpg

It took some finding because it is not sign posted, but there is a memorial plaque on a lump of granite by the side of the road

P1030048-M.jpg

Then I had to backtrack to to find this

P1030053-M.jpg

Rjukan is the town from which the ferry left

P1030054-M.jpg

They are not in good condition but it looks like they are working on restoration of the two remaining railway ferries

P1030056-M.jpg

P1030058-M.jpg

The wagons are a reminder that the saltpetre was a major product of the area

P1030061-M.jpg

Then I followed the line up the valley to the Vermork power plant which was the target of the SOE raids in 1942 and '43 because it was being used to produce heavy water, a vital component in the development of the atomic bomb. You can see from this photo taken further up the valley why it was so hard to attack

IMG_0791-M.jpg

the bridge crosses a steep gorge and is the only way in.

IMG_0790-M.jpg

It is a handsome building and now houses a museum including an exhibit on the raids

IMG_0773-M.jpg

i-qddJGZL-M.jpg

And some fine windows

P1030073-M.jpg

the problem for me was that the parking was down by the bridge

i-QkH7Lcc-M.jpg

which was over a very steep gorge

P1030068-M.jpg

P1030069-M.jpg

The one successful sabotage raid, which destroyed the stocks and stopped production for six months, got round the problem of the heavily guarded bridge by climbing down into the gorge and back up the other side in the dark in winter after hiking/skiing across the Hardangervidda. Then they escaped the same way. I just walked up the path from the bridge and I couldn't have fought anybody by the time I got to the top!

Inside there is an exhibit on the various sabotage attempts. This is one of the only two barrels which have been recovered from the wreck of the Hydro.

IMG_0774-M.jpg

The exhibit was quite confusing because it tries to tell the story of the raids and the development of atomic weapons side by side. If you don't know the story I think you would be confused. There were some good artifacts

i-MwXvdv3-M.jpg

i-kWVJ6fk-M.jpg

and reproductions of documents though. Like this one reporting the outcome of the failed glider attack to Churchill

IMG_0779-M.jpg

And this one confirming the order to sink the Hydro even if there would be civilian repercussions.

IMG_0782-M.jpg

The turbines in the main hall are massive

P1030078-M.jpg

P1030087-M.jpg

I was interested to learn that the commercial success of the plant, and why it was built, was achieved through using the electricity to extract nitrogen from air to make fertiliser. There was no real demand for electricity for in homes and factories. Tucked in a corner with no information was this little gem.

P1030085-M.jpg

P1030086-M.jpg

No doubt somebody who knows about these things will tell us about it.

There is a good memorial to the saboteurs outside the museum

P1030093-M.jpg

Then I pointed the bike west and headed for the coast until I found a campsite and that's where I am now. I am going to have to buy some food; I am down to my last Bombay Bad Boy and a tube of Tomato soup. It's lasted well though. Apart from included breakfasts and some supermarket supplies, I've not bought a meal in Norway. I am heading for Stavanger tomorrow. I've booked a hotel for two nights to give me a day in the city. That will be different. I want to see the cathedral and the old town. It's costing a fortune so it had better be worth it.
What a terrific account, Walrus.
You say it's your first trip report, but it sets a very high bar for the rest of us.
A great trip!:clap

Thank you everybody for the positive comments. I appreciate knowing I haven't wasted my time. As requested I have cobbled together my route as best I can remember it. I did follow my nose on a few occasions. My sat nav reckoned it to be a 5,337 mile round trip from home.

The main route is in three parts - getting to the cape, from the cape to A in Lofoten and the route back from Bodo to Hirtshals. The fourth is a there and back again from Geilo over the Hardangervidda to Vorringfossen. They are Garmin gdb files. If you want gpx PM me and I'll email them to you. I'm hoping that I can attach these in such way as you can download them. If this doesn't work let me know.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/938785/1 Hook of Holland to Nordkapp.gdb
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/938785/2 Norkapp and Lofoten.gdb
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/938785/3 Bodo to Esbjerg.gdb
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/938785/Hardangervidda loop.gdb

I should have said that you should check that the roads are open and the ferries are running if you go outside of the summer season!

Thanks for that Walrus
Very good write up:bow i enjoyed a lot :clap

Ive just read this through from start to finish - what a great write up - thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

Seeing your pictures and reading your eloquent descriptions of the places and things you saw brings back some good memories. Me and my other half drove from Bergen to Narvik to spend a week diving the WW2 wrecks in the area (of which there are lots!) - what a shame they stopped the Newcastle - Bergen ferry.

On the trip up and down Norway, we saw many of the sights and drove many of the same roads as you and I remember experiencing many of the same things that you describe - the jaw dropping views as you round a corner, the gorgeous Lofotens (our favourite place on the trip), the very friendly people, the mozzies(!) and the eye watering costs.

You've made me want to go back on the bike :)

Nice one Walrus :clap
(can't be your real name, surely :augie )

As with many avid readers I've just gone through your RR in one sitting.
Very many thanks for such a comprehensive and informative-yet entertaining report.
And like some others, your content blogging this trip has reinforced an 'itch' that will need scratching in the near future. Cheers :bow :beerjug:

-Andy

Nice one Walrus :clap
(can't be your real name, surely :augie )

Some years ago now, when the moustache was a bit bushier, my children and their friends christened me the walrus on account of the 'tache and my svelte physique in a wet suit. I thought it was harsh but it kind of stuck. :D

Bugger Pietersen is out!

Thank you all for the kind comments. It makes me want to go back too!

John

Hi Walrus
Congratulations on such a great write up.
I am ashamed to say that, having done this trip a month ago, I did not write anything to share on here (whilst the forum is such a great resource)
I know now that this should be part of the planning and trip otherwise it doesn't get done.

My trip was not even a month ago but I so much enjoyed reading yours - it already brought back memories
Congrats
Koen

Thank you Koen. I have got into the habit of writing a daily private blog just for family and friends each evening as I go. It doesn't take long and keeps me in touch with home. I tend to review the day's photos anyway. That made doing the report a lot easier. It's the only ride report I have gone public with. I am thinking of digging out last year's Morocco blog and writing that up.

J

Excellent write-up thanks John :clap

BTW I think your picture:

IMG_0393-M.jpg

is a tinned version of the salt-beef and potato stew that was a staple of many north European seafaring peoples and is still popular in some parts (including Merseyside ;)), with brown gravy.

:)

:teacherThanks for that Grizzly. It prompted a bit of googling. I didn't realise I was eating history! :teacher

Fantastic RR Walrus thanks for taking the time to share it :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom