Alternative fuel pumps?

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Since changing my tank from the original plastic to a new steel, I've become more 'aware' of the fuelpump whine.

I'm sure they probably 'all do that' :D but only ever having had a plastic tanked GS until now, I've no idea if the level of whine is normal.

As I've got a couple of thousand mile European trip coming up, I've been thinking of taking a pump and a couple clips along with me 'just in case'.

Its no surprise that the price of the OEM pump is pretty eye watering but I'm pretty sure that I've read on here that there are car based alternatives. Anyone bought one and know if they work ok (and know of any suppliers)?

Ta
Matt

Matt,
Quick search shows

"Bosch 0580 314 068 pump works well and fits fine"

From Pekka last year.
From compatible VW/Audi
If you have it out, take it to a good motorfactors they should be able to match it

Matt,
Quick search shows

"Bosch 0580 314 068 pump works well and fits fine"

From Pekka last year.
From compatible VW/Audi
If you have it out, take it to a good motorfactors they should be able to match it

Thanks Neil :thumb2

Excellent - thanks :thumb2

I've actually found a pump at worldcarparts.co.uk for £25 :eek

I'm wondering if that's just a bit too cheap...

I had a cheap pump in mine for a while, it worked but I was never comfertable with it and bought a Bosch, still about 1/2 OEM price:beer:

I've got the audi 80 pump, 2000 miles so far. quiet;). Old one was very noisy
chaz

So what did you end up going with Matt?! Agree the £23 Bosch copy does seem a little cheap. Standard Bosch appears to be about £100. Haven't checked BMW prices yet.

Any feedback from those running Bosch copies appreciated.

Guess what I'm planning for the weekend:augie:rolleyes:

So what did you end up going with Matt?! Agree the £23 Bosch copy does seem a little cheap. Standard Bosch appears to be about £100. Haven't checked BMW prices yet.

Any feedback from those running Bosch copies appreciated.

Guess what I'm planning for the weekend:augie:rolleyes:

In the end I never changed it (and never bought a cheap spare for my trip). The whine doesn't seem to have got any worse and I'm going to be part-exing my 1100 soon so it'll be for someone else to decide ;)

In the end I never changed it (and never bought a cheap spare for my trip). The whine doesn't seem to have got any worse and I'm going to be part-exing my 1100 soon so it'll be for someone else to decide ;)

OK - well glad it worked out for you and really sorry to hear that you're leaving the oilhead section - you've provided a great source of knowledge over the years.

For reference I went for the Bosch copy - 1/4 of the price of the Bosch version and used in lots of Audi/VW cars. Fingers crossed.

OK - well glad it worked out for you and really sorry to hear that you're leaving the oilhead section - you've provided a great source of knowledge over the years.

For reference I went for the Bosch copy - 1/4 of the price of the Bosch version and used in lots of Audi/VW cars. Fingers crossed.

They make millions of them, literally. (just think of all the VAG engines out there)

I fitted one in my old 1150GSA and had no problems at all.....I wouldn't hesitate to fit another...you'll have no problems just because it's 'cheap'.

PS if you look around you'll also find the little plastic filter sock to fit, almost identical to the BMW one but they want a STUPID amount of money for what is little more than a little bag.......

They make millions of them, literally. (just think of all the VAG engines out there)

I fitted one in my old 1150GSA and had no problems at all.....I wouldn't hesitate to fit another...you'll have no problems just because it's 'cheap'.

PS if you look around you'll also find the little plastic filter sock to fit, almost identical to the BMW one but they want a STUPID amount of money for what is little more than a little bag.......

Excellent - thanks for the feedback, very reassuring. I was planning to use either the sock that is currently fitted or the sock that is currently fitted to my spare (failed) R1150RS assembly. Would there be any benefit in buying a new one? As far as I can see it's just a material filter designed to keep debris out of the pump - right?

Excellent - thanks for the feedback, very reassuring. I was planning to use either the sock that is currently fitted or the sock that is currently fitted to my spare (failed) R1150RS assembly. Would there be any benefit in buying a new one? As far as I can see it's just a material filter designed to keep debris out of the pump - right?

Rally Raid sell quality after market pumps for KTMs but with no sock, they say use the old one as they do, that's good enough for me so just rinse it out first.

Check your sock filter was ok first though, the main cause of premature pump failure is debris.

I also fitted a £22 pump about 6,000 miles ago excellent and quite as a mouse

Aha! My 1100GS has developed a pronounced whine from the fuel tank area this year. I was thinking it might be the alternator. Never thought about the fuel pump!

Yes, but make sure the coily thing (it's not quite a spring, it's just a metal coil) that holds the sock pouch open so it has a muh bigger surface area is OK.......if the sock thing gets sucked flat, it can severely inhibit the flow of petrol.

I did re-use my OEM sock thing, but I folded up a pyramid shape out of stainless steel wire to keep it puffed out IYSWIM.

As long as there are no large holes in it, re-use it as what it is....a pre-filter filtering device :)

Back
Top Bottom