I've an 1999 r850r but this is a R series section so...

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I put some wilbers on the bike. Made up for my weight etc. not that happy with them. Working closely with the Irish distributer (very nice guy, easy to deal with, good after care etc.) to see if the gave me the correct shocks.

Would anyone have an opinion on the following for a 94kg rider ( defo not tossed sized!)

Rear 39/59/150/165. (The first two digits could be 99 or 59- cant see without taking off the shock)

Front is 46/46/55/200

In order to smooth out the rear, I have to set the rebound damping extremely hard ( almost maximum) and the preload is would up half way.

Anyone any opinions on the figures I've presented for the shocks?

Anyone know off hand what the spring rates are on a set of own r850r shocks?

In order to smooth out the rear, I have to set the rebound damping extremely hard ( almost maximum) and the preload is would up half way.

You better go back to school on this Owen

When you have it like that the damper cannot extend quick enough and the compression is not back to normal and the preload is exacerbated

The closer the bumps the harder it will get!

Firstly the Shock should be built for you on "Nominal" settings

So Back off the preload and the rebound damping

try them at about 15%

so if you have 20 turns on the preload knob back it off till softest and then preload by 20 x15% turns i.e. 3 turns

and apply the same to the rebound damping

Then go try it

It WILL be much MUCH better! :thumby:

Doc, I know my wrenching skills are bad but I'm not a complete numpty. I get exactly what you are saying but the point is the shocks not packing down over a series of bumps.

The suggested settings are not working for me at all and having tried pretty much every combination of rebound and damping the one I've mentioned feels about right and gives a reasonably comfortable plush ride.

I was just wondering about the springs. Either way, it's being delt with by the proper people who want to make it right. I'm just in here because I'm a bit impatient for the prognosis from wilbers and just interested in people's opinions or experiences.

Oh and Doc, yes I remember I had the hyperpro damping on the GSA set way to hard and I learned my lesson.

Anyway, The front feels too hard and the back is very bouncy ( in a tiny movement way). the rear just bobs up and down really fast by a mm or two. The adjustments I've made are just to make it comfortable to ride.

Anyway, I'll get if sorted soon.

PUT MORE PADDING IN THE SADDLE !!!!

Soften everything off to Nominal and Then you won;t notice the up and Down !!!

Did you check that your rear rim and tyre are not buckled??

Wilbers are very very Good and Clarence is an Ace

So Ignoring the suspension could you have a related problem with the bike??? Tyre ovality wheel ovality etc etc

Are you just being to Picky?? There is NO way in a Very very cold Hell that the bike will ride correctly with half preload and full rebound damping

Owen did you find anything else strange?

Any chance the shocks upside down

I'd a mate down recently who put his hagon on his k upside down

Maybe I'm just very picky and need a fatter arse.

I've softened everything up, tracks well but it's bouncy and fatiguing.

Is it possible that there is something loose in the shock? It rode great one day and was bouncing an irritating thing the next. Same roads. I'm either cracking up or there is something wrong.

Time to chase up on the supplier again sigh.

If Clarence is busy Maybe Phil McCallen?

Or if you are up this far? Come get a coffee and let me test my fat arse on it

:D

Everything installed correctly.

Not Clarence,

Now, I'm still awaiting a reply from the supplier.

Has anyone ever heard of a 50 euro charge to express deliver / assemble a set if wilbers? I got mine in a week instead of 3/4 weeks.

Might take you up on that later in week.

If I knew something is the way it was supposed to be i'd chill out and lament not having low and high speed adjustment but in reality it's a 14 year old bike and these shocks were supposed to set it up for another 60,000 miles. I don't need anything fancy. It's fast enough for me. It's ugly enough to not attract many thieves and it runs well ( for the first time since I got it).

I'll wait for the response from the wilbers supplier.

I'd loosen the preload myself if I was given measurements (and i knew it was setup for two up) but unlike hyper pro, the supplier is very quiet. Ill give him another day or two.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get back.

Well, there is nothing wrong with my wilbers. As usual. Dr F off is correct. Just needed to go back to school on it. I can assure you all, if a test paper was put before me tomorrow, I would get a sensible c+.

Anyway, Vmtek got back assuring me the rear is set for my weight and I've taken on board dr f off's suggestions and the rear is very nice now thank you very much. Thanks Paul for checking for me.

Getting something changed in the front one to make it a little softer. It's trying to jettison me off the bike whilst taking city corners that have a deep bump. The front end dosnt quite give way... Hopefully it'll help the telelever front end do what it used to. I was happy to wind off the spring myself but it's an internal bush that their altering I'll throw up an update when that's done. All in all worth the money. And now, I can attribute the differences I feel in handling to tyre pressure.