Going To Turkey through the Balkans but the green card

aksel13

Reaction score
Hi guys

Finally i sorted out everything and going to Turkey through the adriantic coastline.I booked my ferry crossing friday in the morning (hope m25 wont be stuck) , have my breakdown cver from ADAC ( better service and price than the UK companies), no hotel bookings yet as i want to make a good progress till Croatia.

Today i called my insurance company ( just motorcycle insurance) and asked for the green card. They said to me they need my exact dates that i will be in the countries where i need for the green card and then they quoted £31 green card plus £34 administration fee. Total cost means £65 ...

My question is it ok when they ask for the dates you will be in a country and i found the administration charge nonsense. is this something you pay too. :rob

So i decided not to take the green card from my insurarer and buy at the border gates as many of you already mentioned it is possible to buy and i think it will be cheaper. :thumb2

Does anyone know if it is easy to buy insurance at the border or better to sort out it here?

As a general rule it will always be quicker/cheaper to pre arrange insurance. Having said that its not like its going to cost a fortune at any boarder. The prices you mention seem very reasonable.

You should check which countries are already covered by your existing insurance. Croatia is now in the EU, so your policy will already cover you this far.

Quite possibly other Balkan countries may be covered. I have French bike insurance and it gives me green card all the way to Turkey without fees or prior notification.

Getting into Turkey is certainly easier with a Green Card, than having to faff about buying Insurance at the border... which takes long enough as it is! :D

Insurance for Turkey can be purchased at the border. Ensure that you inform the clerical staff that it is for a motorcycle or you will be charged the more expensive car rate.

Croatia is covered already no prob. I just need for Montenegro and Albania plus Turkey. I guessed if I buy at the border might be cheaper without admin fee but eventually will take time to cross the border .

Any suggestion is welcomed. If any of u recently been those countries and know the prices ?

I got caught out in 2007 by 2 Serbian border crossings that couldn't offer Greencards and a third that demanded 80Euros. And then at an Albanian border crossing who also didn't issue insurance. £64 doesn't sound too bad to me.

Aksel, did you have a joy in finding insurance cover?
I have a visit planned which will involve riding through Albania, Montenegro and Bosnia.
I have my normal bike insurance with ebike, and it looks like they do not offer 'green card' cover extensions.

Timpo.

We traveled through Albania and Montenegro in September, our insurance would not offer cover, had a phone round and found NFU would offer green card insurance but the costs of changing insurers mid term were prohibitive :eek
By all accounts if you buy insurance in Germany, France etc you get full European cover, but that's not the case here.:rolleyes: so we bought at the borders, it was quick, easy and surprisingly cheap, can't remember exactly but approx £50 in Albania and that was for a wobbly box and a trailer containing four bikes.

Make sure your insurance/Green card also covers Asian Turkey and not just Turkey west of the Bosphorus

Aksel, did you have a joy in finding insurance cover?
I have a visit planned which will involve riding through Albania, Montenegro and Bosnia.
I have my normal bike insurance with ebike, and it looks like they do not offer 'green card' cover extensions.

Timpo.

Hi timpo

I sorted out my green card in the uk from my insurer. I think it is easy to get one while you are here otherwise you can buy at the borders for sure but i have no idea how much would cost. Green card normally cover turkey without western or eastern side. No worries. I have only been asked for green card at albanian border and turkish border, i dont remember if montenegro asked me.

Just been told my insurance co underwriter will not cover Turkey. Anyone got an idea of cost of buying at the Turkish border?

I'm with Adrian Flux and chums - I think that might include EBike?
They said they no longer issue Green Cards so I got them to send me a letter listing the countries I was covered on which included Turkey. At the border they wanted to charge for insurance until I pointed out 'Turkey' in the list of countries then they were happy*
All the other countries were no bother at all apart from FYOM who wanted something like 60 Euros for the pleasure of spending a total of about 12 hrs in the country so that was a no thanks!

*Happy being a relative term for the Turkish border bods.

Back
Top Bottom