PC to Mac - opinions and views please

I just moved to a Macbook from using PCs for years after my son talked me into it... very happy so far. Connecting anything to it so far has been unbelievably easy after all the shite needed to get something working in Windows and the Networking side of it is straightforward and clear. For the couple of times I need Microsoft stuff (Access and Excel) I use VMWare to run Vista or XP which works well too, so can't see me returning to Windows PC.

Erm Chris please do tell us what connecting "shite" problems you had with your PC, I have no idea what you are talking about. Or better still call over one day and explain it to me:D

(Still cycling by the way the bike is parked up)

Just to say that today ordered one very pretty iMac from that nice Mr. John Lewis.

Makes for a pretty expensive month though, what with the iMac and my subs renewal here.

Thanks again for all the advice people, most appreciated.

Erm Chris please do tell us what connecting "shite" problems you had with your PC, I have no idea what you are talking about. Or better still call over one day and explain it to me:D

(Still cycling by the way the bike is parked up)
Turning into a recluse Richie - I think it's something to do with owning a Mac :rolleyes:

For example - I have an old Epson printer which I have disc for (probably Win '98 vintage or XP) anyway try to connect it to Vista PC and I had to find some drivers of the Net somewhere. Connected it to the MacBook expecting similar - no, instantly recognised and fully working within a couple of minutes or less.

Been having a load of trouble with our broadband connection having to change routers and plug aerial straight into ethernet port. On Vista PC you have to open Caring Sharing Netwiork Centre something or other and feck about with a load of settings. On the Macbook it's so easy and painless just go to Network Preferences and it's all there! Amazing!

Was very skeptical in the past as regards Macs, but a convert now :thumb Just my own experience - I'm no PC/Mac Guru as you know!

I just moved to a Macbook from using PCs for years after my son talked me into it... very happy so far. Connecting anything to it so far has been unbelievably easy after all the shite needed to get something working in Windows and the Networking side of it is straightforward and clear. For the couple of times I need Microsoft stuff (Access and Excel) I use VMWare to run Vista or XP which works well too, so can't see me returning to Windows PC.

Bought a Mac then put Vista or XP on it so it would run same programs a standard PC will run out the box why not just buy the Mac version of office?

Wife had a Mac and printed some boarding passes for a flight only to find the barcodes were not on the passes when we tried to check in the font was not supported on the Mac worked fine the next time using a PC both systems have their faults

Bought a Mac then put Vista or XP on it so it would run same programs a standard PC will run out the box why not just buy the Mac version of office?

both systems have their faults
Had a copy of Office so cheaper to go with VMWare, also Mac version of Office doesn't have Access which I occasionally use. The Mac came with some stuff installed Pages, Numbers and something else but doesn't do what I want. Probably the absolute cheapest option is install Open Office or whatever it's called now, but I know that won't work with my Excel spreadsheets correctly, so stuck with my old copy of Office.

You're right - both systems have drawbacks but I guess a change is as good as a rest as they say ;)

Been using Macs for 5 years now. Never had a virus in that time, never had any major issues either. I would not go back to windows. Fanum is talking out of his arse!

Macs are STILL for people who don't know how to run a computer.....
:thumb2

I , and I suspect many others around the world, don't want to know how to run a computer, we just want a computer that always runs .

At work I have always had the support of an IT guy he knows how to run a computer , I don't have that luxury at home so I own a Mac....like many other around the world :thumb2

Ive had PC's for years, use a PC at work, have laptops with windows and an iphone and ipad.

Earlier thsi year a MAC Pro came along for right money and I bought it, yes its a Mac 1,1 and has 9Gb ram and 2 dual core 3GHz processors but Im surprised it has difficulty running games. I still have a PC but use the Mac day in day out at the moment but have already realised that Apple are still big brother not letting me upgrade to latest OS due to age of machine?? With a PC I could just install latest OS without any issues?? Also with software, Mac and CAD!!! only the newest machines seem capable of running it!!

I do actually love alot about the Mac but am still getting used to it to be honest, its way different from a PC and simple stuff I can do on a PC is more difficult on the mac, but as before, I still like it!!

I think its about personal preference really, yeh there is the Mac hype and compatibility with iPhone/iPad and Apple TV units I have but is it that much better than a PC??? I personally am not sure, I never had many issues with PC's but always built my own, I found upgrades easy and less expensive but im hoping when I get used to Mac will find this the same.

As above, totally personal preference, pay your money etc etc.

Agree with most of what has been said, if I used a PC at home it would be like being back at work. Mac for sure, and go for the one to one tuition package when you buy, well worth it!

Ive had PC's for years, use a PC at work, have laptops with windows and an iphone and ipad.

Earlier thsi year a MAC Pro came along for right money and I bought it, yes its a Mac 1,1 and has 9Gb ram and 2 dual core 3GHz processors but Im surprised it has difficulty running games. I still have a PC but use the Mac day in day out at the moment but have already realised that Apple are still big brother not letting me upgrade to latest OS due to age of machine?? With a PC I could just install latest OS without any issues?? Also with software, Mac and CAD!!! only the newest machines seem capable of running it!!

I do actually love alot about the Mac but am still getting used to it to be honest, its way different from a PC and simple stuff I can do on a PC is more difficult on the mac, but as before, I still like it!!

I think its about personal preference really, yeh there is the Mac hype and compatibility with iPhone/iPad and Apple TV units I have but is it that much better than a PC??? I personally am not sure, I never had many issues with PC's but always built my own, I found upgrades easy and less expensive but im hoping when I get used to Mac will find this the same.

As above, totally personal preference, pay your money etc etc.

Same problem exists in the PC world. The current mac kernel, extensions, and apple software are 64 bit code. Early intel macs are 32 bit architectures. Microsoft distributed both versions for a while but I *think* w8 is 64 bit only?

I've gutted and rebuilt my 2010 Mac mini to make it ssd, see ifixit.com, no big deal unless you have the shakes. Macs are as elegantly built inside as out but everything is tiny. Pc not so much, and easier to work on.

Designing software that works nicely is intuitive on a mac, it's tedious on windows.

Also, if you screw up, and damage your mac. Drop it in on a Saturday, and get it back fixed on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom