The Baltic States & may be Russia?

plasins

Reaction score
For this years jaunt I intend to go a bit further than mainland Europe. I am now in the preparation stage. I want to travel from Newcastle to Sweden, across to Tallin then on through the Baltic States, Poland, Germany, Belgium, Holland, France and back home.
If any club member has completed a similar trip I would appreciate adivce on the Baltics and Poland ie where to stay, or rather where not to stay. The state of the roads - to appease my pillion, must see places and the the local Police - to appease me!
I hope to go in June so this should give me plenty of time!
I would have liked to go into Russia - St Petersburg/Moscow - but there appears to a lot of red tape. However, if someone can convince me otherwise..........

Thanks,
Vic P.
:beerjug:

Spent a very enjoyable July two weeks in Estonia this year. Visited pretty well length and breadth (including Tartu for the rally) of the country. Hospitality, colour, vibrancy, music and amazing can do mentality. Freedom tastes better fresh.... Don't miss Saaremaa island ....the beer is 12% ABV....scene of last great european Gee-Gee (meteorite impact between 800 and 400 B.C..thousands killed...place is still a mess...but nice moss.) Accommodation and food very cheap...including the bevvies.

01.jpg

If you are serious about biking into Russia or even going in by bus or car this is very likely to be a major hassle. Certainly not to be contemplated without a full paperwork sort out before you leave UK. Most don't bother.

One way in to Russia without too much hassle is to take a pedestrian approach...organised tourist one day trip(24 hours notice required usually) from Tallin or across the lake by boat from Viljandi. On these they sort the paperwork out for you but it can be a bit of an In-tourist atmosphere event, I gather.

boundless said:
If you are serious about biking into Russia or even going in by bus or car this is very likely to be a major hassle. Certainly not to be contemplated without a full paperwork sort out before you leave UK. Most don't bother.

As you may know, Tossers-on-Tour 2005 will be taking pretty much the route suggested by plasins. I looked at riding the loop from Helsinki through St Petersburg to Tallinn, but, as boundless says, the bureaucracy is next to impossible.

Perhaps if you are travelling in June, we might meet en-route? You won't miss 31 assorted tossers!

Greg

Plasins, let me know how the planning goes as I am looking at doing this in 2006. I like the idea of going to Russia, but the bureaucracy might not be worth it! Then again, I have about 18 months for the planning!

SITC

Very nice idea. Boundless's sure right about it: sure visit Hiiumaa and Saaremaa islands, Tallinn medival city and Tartu town too - i may even guide you there if i have free time - i study and work in that town. And possibly can take you to some interesting places in colourful South-Estonia if i get some weekend ride motivation ;).

Some pics about the atmosphere in our islands i did few years ago when i visited them:
Hiiumaa: http://homepage.mac.com/nemos/PhotoAlbum18.html
Vormsi: http://homepage.mac.com/nemos/PhotoAlbum23.html

DSCN8474.jpg

DSCN8590.JPG
DSCN8584.jpg

DSCN7017.JPG

Mo

plasins said:
For this years jaunt I intend to go a bit further than mainland Europe. I am now in the preparation stage. I want to travel from Newcastle to Sweden, across to Tallin then on through the Baltic States, Poland, Germany, Belgium, Holland, France and back home.
If any club member has completed a similar trip I would appreciate adivce on the Baltics and Poland ie where to stay, or rather where not to stay. The state of the roads - to appease my pillion, must see places and the the local Police - to appease me!
I hope to go in June so this should give me plenty of time!
I would have liked to go into Russia - St Petersburg/Moscow - but there appears to a lot of red tape. However, if someone can convince me otherwise..........

Thanks,
Vic P.
:beerjug:

Baltic states are on my mind for this summer 2005 too! i'd like to share info!
Catherine

Well, the easy bits done - UK to Denmark & Sweden. Tallink, Stockholm to Tallinn ferry can only book until March, but have promised me a place anyway. Now deciding on the route through the Baltics.
I am waiting for my 'sponsorship' to come through, so if anyone would like to get in touch, my E mail address is vjpagv@aol.com.
Please do. I usually need all the help that I can get!

Vic P.

plasins said:
Tallink, Stockholm to Tallinn ferry can only book until March, but have promised me a place anyway.

I should try again, I already have 26 bikes booked on the Tallink ferry from Stockholm for 4th June!

Greg

Hi.
Reggie ,Mickey D, Tim C, and I are doing a trip like this.We leave on the 3rd June 05.
We will ride stright to Berlin, Then we head south east in to the Czech Republic,through into Poland.Then North through Lithuania+Latvia,and Estonia,crossing over to Finland,Here we head north into the Artic circle,before crossing Sweden,and down through Norway to Bergan for the ferry home.
All info will be posted on the ride forums at www.f650.co.uk

Hope you enjoy your trip,maybe bump into some of you on route

:beerjug: Dazzer

Back
Top Bottom