DrAlf’s ‘Spirited’ Road Ride.

So if you weren't on the road ride you must have been with us on the off road ride....right? I heard the off road boys did 100ft jumps and crossed oceanic fords! Let's not let comments spoil a great weekend. Anyone who joined in had a great time - I'm sure.

I'm guessing Mav was on the 1200GSA then if he was limiting himself to 100ft jumps:D

As someone who "dropped out" (went to see a KTM for sale) I enjoyed the morning, I didn't see any reckless or dangerous riding and I enjoyed the morning thoroughly.:clap

What is the definition of a spirited ride? Is it the above? or does it simply mean no riding lemons, just riding lemmings?

There is no specific definition – it was simply a ride out rather than a bike procession. I’m sorry if it wasn’t to everyone’s taste but I guess you can’t please all the people all the time. As I’ve said before, the riding that I experienced was of a very high standard and there certainly wasn’t any speeding through villages at the front.

And I didnt speed through any villages at the back :thumb :thumb
So its all the others then :D
Lets not criticise any more as it pulls the keyboard clowns into the discussion
and makes the event a little less stunning than it was :clap
If yer were riding as some think yer were - calm yourselves down a bit and as for double line crossers - think about yer licence yer twats :D
end of my comments on the matter :thumb

Was on the spirited ride and every time we stopped all I saw were faces with huge grins on them. Some things I saw I might not have done or maybe could not have done but nothing I saw put anyone at risk. It was my first foray into the gs world and I was pleasently surprised as I expected a 30 mph yawn fest. What I found the best though was the fact you did not have to ride hard and you could make your own pace without worrying you were gonna be left behind (unless you were on the last 2 drop off points that is :augie only kidding)
If you are going to go all PC and force everyone to do the same thing I'll give you a wide berth but I don't think that's the majority veiw c'mon live and let live :thumby:

I personally enjoyed the ride and thought the riding standard was generally very high. I even commented at the end that it was great to see people keeping ego's in check.
I have been on a fair few group rides, and this one ranked among the best.
Mick thanks for the help with Marks bike. It was great to see you again and hope to do so in the near future.
Adam, great ride as always, hope to do one with you again soon.
And to the other people I met, nice to have met you, I had a great time and hope to do so in the future.:thumb2

Jon

I was there

I was on this ride and saw the appalling standard of riding that Devon describes.

I went to pull out to overtake a car. As I did the car indicated right, so I pulled back in. Someone else overtook me and the car just before his turn. About a mile further up the road he did exactly the same thing again. On another occasion I was following a car up a hill with a blind crest. There were double white lines here. A GS overtook me, crossing the lines. As he did so a car came over the brow towards him, causing him to brake hard and swerve into my path, forcing me to take avoiding action.

These are just two incidents, but there were others. Clearly this ride wasn't for me and so I left the ride shortly after the first break. A slipping clutch didn't exactly help matters. I don't mind riding fast but I came to the Cotswold's to see the scenery and that's exactly what my wife and I did for the rest of the day.

It's a real shame that somebody hadn't organised a 'bimble' like the one Andrew did for the STD. At that event there was a choice of 'spirited', 'bimble' or 'off-road' rides, catering for all tastes.

Re: caravans. If you want to be really picky there were no caravans there, only Wobblyboxes! :thumb2 Not all of us are fit enough to sleep in tents and anyway, we use our van all year round and wouldn't want to spend money out on camping gear just to appear macho for a couple of months. :D

Everybody had a great weekend thanks to Dan and Cal's efforts. What we must not forget that we all share a common passion for motorcycles (I hope) and it matters not how we arrive or how we spend our time at these events. Thank goodness we are all different or the world would be a boring place.

Ash and me, had a bimble most of the time and anyone was welcome to join us

I can ride fast, but try not to be dangerous anymore

If that type of riding was witnessed, then i'm not surprised it has been mentioned

giantpopcorn1.jpg

............I went to pull out to overtake a car. As I did the car indicated right, so I pulled back in. Someone else overtook me and the car just before his turn. About a mile further up the road he did exactly the same thing again. On another occasion I was following a car up a hill with a blind crest. There were double white lines here. A GS overtook me, crossing the lines. As he did so a car came over the brow towards him, causing him to brake hard and swerve into my path, forcing me to take avoiding action. .........

I've been too close to this kind of riding on a previous UKGSer event, a rider in exactly the position that you found yourself in had to make a pretty violent manoeuvre to avoid the clown. I guess some things never change.

Good on you for making your own decisions and going your own way.

P.S. Mick, your bike may rarely do more than 60mph but it rarely does any less either except in limited areas. It was watching you on a knobbly clad airhead that originally demonstrated to me how well they could corner:)

.....we use our van all year round and wouldn't want to spend money out on camping gear just to appear macho for a couple of months. :D..

so, does the money saved go on an optimate charger to keep the bike from gaining any mileage, whilst using the Van all year?:hide....

SOCKS!!!

As I am the Tosser who originally posted regarding socks, I would like to clarify the situation. One is for wiping and the other for polishing!!!

Back
Top Bottom