Multistrada 2013

GrinningGSer

Infamous old git
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After reading BIKE 2013, with eviews of KTM1190R, Capanord and Multistrada, I spent the whole of yesterday riding the latter two, both solo and Pillion.
THe BIKE review of the Capaord and MTS is so wrong. I lost interest in he Capanord after a mile or so and my wife disliked it shortly after, so we took it back. Not for me, no way, rough at idle, vibe , cheap plastic no no no. The active suspension was nothing special at all and after the superb BIKE review my expectations were smashed.

The afternoon was like starting new day, 100yds on the MTS and I already new that this Ducati was in a different league and my wife, later as pillion said it's the most comfortable pillion bike that she has been on.

Its an absolute belter and others can write better reviews than me.
Ohlins have been dropped in favour of 'Skyhook' from Sachs and this bike is so level, its like being on a BMW, but mush BETTER
I'm in love:D
Good thread on Advrider here
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l8G1Vmh7iCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
£16,800 is a lot of dosh, but its a lot of bike:eek:

Big Bada Boom from the Multipass girl on Fifth Element,is what I can think about:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j8WLYzA0lCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A review of previous 2012 Ohlins versus the new 2013 Sachs Skyhook here.
The pillion seat position is higher that the rider (like on a GS) and which undoubtedly helped with clashing helmets, which was really bad on the Capanord and completely absent on the MTS. The DSS (Ducati Skyhook Suspension) also somehow massively smoothed fore and aft movement on the bike, a real bonus for a pillion.

I don't take any notice of what professional testers say, they have to keep on the right side of the manufacturers or the don't get bikes or junkets. You get a better review from guys like you or individuals on Youtube.

FYI after reading lots, Ducati changed from Ohlins , 2012 (gold forks) to Sachs (grey forks) in 2013 because they wanted a progressive spring for better pillion/luggage control and Ohlins could not provide this. The change is very well liked so far and there are reports of expensive issues with the Ohlins.
However the Sachs unit seems to have a clunk on full extension with talk of an internal fix by means of a spacer washer.
Sachs are owned by ZF
The BMW HP4 uses Sachs semi active suspension
Ducati are owned by Lamborghini, who are owned by the VAG/Audi group since 2012
The late Ash article on Skyhook.

After reading BIKE 2013, with eviews of KTM1190R, Capanord and Multistrada, I spent the whole of yesterday riding the latter two, both solo and Pillion.
THe BIKE review of the Capaord and MTS is so wrong. I lost interest in he Capanord after a mile or so and my wife disliked it shortly after, so we took it back. Not for me, no way, rough at idle, vibe , cheap plastic no no no. The active suspension was nothing special at all and after the superb BIKE review my expectations were smashed.

The afternoon was like starting new day, 100yds on the MTS and I already new that this Ducati was in a different league and my wife, later as pillion said it's the most comfortable pillion bike that she has been on.

Its an absolute belter and others can write better reviews than me.
Ohlins have been dropped in favour of 'Skyhook' from Sachs and this bike is so level, its like being on a BMW, but mush BETTER
I'm in love:D
Good thread on Advrider here
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l8G1Vmh7iCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
£16,800 is a lot of dosh, but its a lot of bike:eek:

Big Bada Boom from the Multipass girl on Fifth Element,is what I can think about:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j8WLYzA0lCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
i

I fitted the ohlins add on to my 2012 MS . It's quite amazing . At times it feels like riding on air . Stops the dive under hard braking in sport mode and the squat during acceleration .
All for £250 . Not bad
http://www.ohlins.com/About-the-com...launch-semi-active-upgrade-for-Multistrada-S/

I'm starting to think about bling:
Multistrada-ADV_1.jpg

I work next door to the dealer, so a long standing relationship may be necessary if Ducati reliability is what they say :augie

Jetjock, any issues to worry about ?

What's the best Multstrada forum in UK?

Heart is saying Multistrada or KTM Adv, Head is saying GS LC :blast

Al:thumb

What's the best Multstrada forum in UK?

Heart is saying Multistrada or KTM Adv, Head is saying GS LC :blast

Al:thumb

Ducatiforum.co.uk

Bit like reading the lc section, you may have second thoughts when reading. A good dealer is essential imo. The ducati has a really annoying menu system. Disconnect the battery and it switches back to kilometres and switches off the traction control. Changing the clock time also requires use of a very confusing manual.
Back brake is on ongoing known fault (possibly position of bleed nipple).
Screen is poor.
Dashboard is prone to failure, warning lights etc failing and the only fix is a new dash and your mileage reset to zero.
Luggage,shite. Very flimsy and small panniers compared to bmw.

Overall a great bike which obviously goes like stink (better engine and suspension in 2013) but you need to embrace the whole italian thang buying a ducati, ie stylish (look superb in the flesh), quirky and will probably go wrong.

A brief report on Ducati forum would seem to indicate that the absent rear brake issue is largely, but not completely fixed in the 2013 model, by re routing the lines. ? Anyone with a 2013 got no rear brake ?

Agree about luggage, its feather light but HUGE on the GT, far too huge and far too wide in my opinion. Lightness means flimsy and no need for ridiculous weight saving with adaptive suspension and 150bhp. The top box will hold two helmets.

My preference would be some Touratrech Zega Pro boxes, which have the strap fastenings for easy tent/Ortlieb carrying.

Ride the KTM 1190 before going for the MS.

If you are 5'10" or above the KTM will be a much better fit.The fact it's faster and handles better than the MS is a bonus

Arsey, been there, done that and the KTM is a cracker, BUT no good for a pillion IMHO and I havent succeeded in getting a test ride on an R yet.

Andy W , from this site now has an MTS site and here is a Croatia trip review from that site. Two MTS and no isssues

I'm starting to think about bling:
Multistrada-ADV_1.jpg

I work next door to the dealer, so a long standing relationship may be necessary if Ducati reliability is what they say :augie

Jetjock, any issues to worry about ?

Ive only recently bought into Ducati s.

Now I have 2 .

The MS has had one recall ( coolant) over the 4000 trouble free miles.

The Panigale has been fine , but ive only done 2000 miles on her.

If you are 5'10" or above the KTM will be a much better fit.The fact it's faster and handles better than the MS is a bonus

Have you ridden the MS ?

If youre right I need a go on the KTM as I believe IMHO that the MS is the best handling (road ) bike around (especially with the Ohlins SCU ) and its pretty good on dirt tracks .

Think I might just book a test ride on the KTM any way :thumb:thumb

I must be doing something wrong...

The new 1190 handles better than an MTS - really????

The engine mapping is so poor on the KTM, I never got a chance to figure out whether the suspension was any good or not. I thought the SMT was a hooligan of a bike (in a Hypermotard kind of way) but the 1190 is an SMT on steroids. If you're willing to ride it quickly over genuinely long distances, I wish you well.

Put a set of 1" lower pegs on the MTS and it is the best bike you will ever ride - performance of a Panigale and comfort of an RT. Not even a WC GS can claim that.

And if you fancy a race, 1190 v MTS, I know which my money is on. Over anything more than a short distance, no contest - MTS every time. I haven't yet ridden the 1190R version but I find it interesting that the suggestion so far is that the R is a better road bike than the standard 1190, because the aggression has been toned down. Sounds to me like the R may be the bike the 1190 was supposed to be.

Of course, as a convert from GS to MTS, I may be just be biassed...

:augie:augie:augie

I must admit to being a bit concerned about Multistrada reliability, and suspect that the KTM might be better in that respect. I've also got used to the stability under braking - of the BMW GS............

I'd be fitting racks for Metalmule panniers on whatever takes my fancy - next year.

Al:)

I rode the MS last year. Nice enough bike, except the seat kinda locked me into one position and I felt I couldn't move about at all. The engine was quick enough, but too lumpy for those times when I'm not in a go fast mood. I can ride my 1190 down to 35mph in top gear with no trouble, the MS wasn't liking that at all. The MS I saw in the dealers workshop put me off too. I asked him what was the problem to which he replied, 'It just needs a few wee engine parts'. The bike in question had no engine fitted at all !! They do sound nice tho'.

Another thing that worries me is - that there are rather a lot for sale on Ebay/Autotrader etc........... :confused:

License-loser, Money-pit, Breakdown-ish, Itch-scratched? :nenau

Al :blast

DaveyF, the 2012 mts has reports of being a fabulous bike, but the 2013 has some quite major engine changes, designed to smooth lower speed, running and should sort your concerns .The reviews seem to suggest that upgrading from a 2012 is not worthwhile though. I believe, twin spark was added for 2013.

Back
Top Bottom