Northern Spain July 2013

Thanks for such a wonderfully inspiring ride report Steve.
Having just managed to entice the wife back onto the pillion after over 30 years, we're now completely sold on a trip to the Picos and northern Spain so a big thanks for that......:thumb

Great photo,s:thumb northern Spain sometimes overlooked,you have just reminded me how much I enjoyed it.Thanks.

Nice trip ... looks brilliant, and great piccies .... went many years ago and now having read your thread ... " I'll have to go back ! "

Sven thanks for posting, excellent photos. Simply stunning. Another post that fires the travel bug. Thanks for posting. Awaiting the next instalment. In your own time.:D

Great report. Looking at Northern Spain for the trip next year with a couple of friends. Given me some idea's on routes etc...

Avila
We skipped the hotels expensive breakfast and ate in the main square in Salamanca (the mad woman ordered the “healthy” breakfast then proceeded to steal some of my fried eggs and bacon :mad: )

Avila was only 65 miles away, so we didn’t set off until noon and arrived there early to take in the sights.

We stopped in a very nice little hotel just outside the city wall with secure underground parking http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...Avila_Province_of_Avila_Castile_and_Leon.html

The city walls were built in the 11th – 13th centuries and still fully encircle the centre. I’ll let the photos do the talking. http://www.avilaturismo.com/en/what-to-see/item/409-the-walls

After all that walking in 35C degree temperatures, Trudi decided it was time to do what she likes best and drank a few cold beers and swallowed a small sausage :p , followed by a nice meal in an Italian restaurant :beerjug:

Inspirational.

The wife and I are going down on the 4 October - really looking forward to it.

looks like you had a good time, i ended up doing north east Spain 2 months ago when we found that the Pyrenees where torrential rain and i must say northern Spain is not what i expected with the landscape being so varied and the little villages with the pretty churches and nice little restaurants.

Great place!

Segovia
After a quick blast along the fast sweeping CL/M-505 we soon arrived at El Escorial, a pretty place with a HUUUGE palace. The first photo was taken four miles away with a 210mm lens.

It was then a quick blast over the 1800m Puerto de Navacerrada pass (great lunch at the ski resort at the top) before arriving in Segovia. The old town and Roman aquaduct were lovely.

Burgos - Bilbao
My word what a tedious days riding from Segovia to Burgos for the final night in Spain – flat straight boring roads and 37 degree temperatures 
We visited a couple of interesting castles and the old toen of Lemur, but I wasn’t a happy bunny until we’d checked into the Novotel Hotel Rice and cooled down with a few beers :(

Burgos was the first city we’d visited which was really busy of an evening. Tripadvisor let us down as the restaurants it recommended near the hotel didn’t seem to exist. We did eventually find a nice little pizzeria after a stroll around the old town and the impressive cathedral.

After a nice fast, twisty ride back to Bilbao the next morning, we soon arrived at Bilbao for our posh cabin on the Cap Finisterre home. Well worth the extra on a long crossing when we didn’t disembark in Portsmouth until 4pm

Homeward bound....
We spent the last night of our holiday in Salisbury to see the cathedral, followed by one of the best curries I’ve ever eaten http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...a_Restaurant-Salisbury_Wiltshire_England.html

The following morning it was time to trawl along the overcrowded roads of southern England, before another ride up the Welsh border and back to God’s county after 2140 miles. We enjoyed Spain so much I’ve already booked the ferry for next July, although we’ll be heading though the Pyrenees and into France next time.

There are some great pics there, fabulous. Thank you for sharing them with us :)

As above, some good photography and some great sites you visited. Never thought about Northern Spain before, but will now, like you say a trip into Spain then up into France. Start planning:D:D

Great report, to the point and I like the quality of the photographs. The black/white adds another dimension.

Lots of food for thought there for on routes, places to visit etc.

Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom