Going to look at a K75.

Kamikaze

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to look at a K75 tomorrow afternoon.
1990, approx 60k miles. Photos look good.
What to look out for, please.

You haven't said what model of K75. But on the mechanical front....
Clutch and clutch actuating arm not seized or stiff.
Fork seals.
Centre stand wear on the leg tubes.
Radiator fan works.
Alternator rubbers are all in one piece.

It's a 23 year old bike. Look at everything unless the owner is an enthusiastic fettler.
Look at everything anyway.

:rob

Thanks, gents.
I'm not sure which model it is yet.
Is there a preferred model or a model to avoid?

Fairing parts are bleedin' expensive....mechanicals not so much.

It's a K75S.
Straight bike, missing left side panel, original red paint but worn around edges.
Really smooth, quicker than I expected.
Didn't like cats eyes or ridges.....I suspect worn head bearings but I'm not mechanical, so not sure. :nenau Forks seals seem ok. Rode it for about 30 miles. Completely dry.
Don't think ABS works.
There was a sort of hissing noise as it idled. He suggested it might be the fuel pump. Hissing might not be the best description, though. :nenau again.
€600 (£500)

It is a three cylinder. The extra cylinder was removed at the last service as it served no purpose.

Great bike's Kami :thumb

See it?
Like it?
Buy it :thumb

:beerjug:

Agreed, Jim they are great bikes, dated of course but great bikes all the same.:thumb
When I had my K75S a few years ago I was given for a day the new R850R and I could not wait to get my K back... the same can not be said when they gave me a 1150GS

smooth and quicker than expected = yep, that's definitely the attraction. :green gri
not liking cats eyes / ridges could be as simple as tyre pressure - they're quite sensitive. :nenau
ABS is crude and the one problem i had with mine (turned out a new battery was all it needed.)
Hissing - would be the fuel pump.
Bargain price! ... if it's all as it seems.
Mine gave me sciatica from the riding position - ended up selling it for that one reason. Good handling, good enough braking and that triple motor is superb fun!
i should've got the K75c / not the K75s :blast

Good Luck :beerjug:

It's a K75S.
Straight bike, missing left side panel, original red paint but worn around edges.
Really smooth, quicker than I expected.
Didn't like cats eyes or ridges.....I suspect worn head bearings but I'm not mechanical, so not sure. :nenau Forks seals seem ok. Rode it for about 30 miles. Completely dry.
Don't think ABS works.
There was a sort of hissing noise as it idled. He suggested it might be the fuel pump. Hissing might not be the best description, though. :nenau again.
€600 (£500)

It is a three cylinder. The extra cylinder was removed at the last service as it served no purpose.

Ignore the hissing, quite normal.

Cats eyes and ridges, it will be on bias belted tyres most will skip when they hit them but that's all. Try Pirelli Demon Sports, probably the best grip you'll get without changing the wheels to sizes that will take radial rubber.

If there is a problem with the steering, it could be either the bearings or the fluidbloc damper. Neither are hard or expensive to fix.

The ABS1 takes a lot to get it to work. If nothing else it will teach you that you can brake a lot harder than you may otherwise have thought.

I bought a K75S off MikeP's mate about 3-4 years ago, I have since put 53k on it :D Now on 113k, the engine is lovely, just keep changing the oil and filters and plugs.

As Mike says the tyre pressures would affect how it responds on cats-eyes also check for wear or squaring off. I ran Bridgstone BT45s and have just changed to Continental Go for a change.

My ABS doesn't work which is due to the rear sensor wire having sheared - however never needed it, just squeeze a bit harder when needed.

Had a new clutch at 90k and a new rear shaft at 100k, other than that the usual consumables - brake pads etc Also had the rear brake master cylinder fitted with a refurb kit a couple of weeks ago as it was weeping fluid.

I found the front forks a bit bouncy and when I had the fork seals done I had them loaded with an extra weight of oil which suits me better.

Ignore the hissing, quite normal.

Cats eyes and ridges, it will be on bias belted tyres most will skip when they hit them but that's all. Try Pirelli Demon Sports, probably the best grip you'll get without changing the wheels to sizes that will take radial rubber.

If there is a problem with the steering, it could be either the bearings or the fluidbloc damper. Neither are hard or expensive to fix.

The ABS1 takes a lot to get it to work. If nothing else it will teach you that you can brake a lot harder than you may otherwise have thought.

I bought "the Polished Turd"
Lovely bike and knowing The Guru has been through it with a fine toothcomb fills me with confidence:thumb

Thank you Gents.
Very informative comments from the most knowledgable members.....valued and appreciated. :bow
Deal is done. :bounce1
I was confident I wasn't making a mistake and the responses confirm. :D
Looking forward to picking it up, riding it, cleaning it (a little, 5% of what MikeP would do), riding it, making minor changes as suggested and riding it and riding it and more riding it. :D

Thank you Gents.
Very informative comments from the most knowledgable members.....valued and appreciated. :bow
Deal is done. :bounce1
I was confident I wasn't making a mistake and the responses confirm. :D
Looking forward to picking it up, riding it, cleaning it (a little, 5% of what MikeP would do), riding it, making minor changes as suggested and riding it and riding it and more riding it. :D

Good man Jim, bring it out West sometime and show it :thumb2

I changed the handlebars on my K75S for K75C bars which improved comfort considerably. I found the original type Metzlers followed white lines. I'm using Avon Roadriders now and they are OK and cheapish.
Lights aren't special but easily improved using relays. Mine is an early model maybe later ones use relays, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom