Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 7: Rambling on..

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The report will continue shortly, but I pledged there'd be pictures of food and beer by latest Monday night.

[

You know, I definitely like Germany

hope the glass made it way into the luggage

I knew you wouldn't let me down!

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    I knew you wouldn't let me down!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairnet600 View Post
    hope the glass made it way into the luggage
    Shush you dipstick, I'm still sat here at the table

how was the main course

Quote Originally Posted by Hairnet600 View Post
    how was the main course
    Outstanding old bean

A bit of a carry on..

Moving on from the blues trip to the following Friday afternoon now.

I'm meeting Rich, aka The Nutty GSer of this parish for a ride up to the Carry on Up The Costwolds event. I can't say I've ever really explored the corridor directly west of London, that's a bit of a blind spot for me, so we're having a ride that way before we head on to the pub and the venue for the weekend. And very enjoyable it was too. Thanks old bean.

And so to COUTC. There are several other threads talking about it so I won't go on too much.

The UKGSer events are first class. I wish I'd gone off to them earlier. Highly recommended. What to expect if you've not been? Well, just as the forum is exactly that, a forum and not a club, there's no committee: people won't come rushing up to aid every one of your hearts desires. If you can manage with that then that's a good start and there's a good chance you'll dig the events. Mingle in, have a chat, people don't bite. Great stuff

My tent which normally takes a few minutes to put up is taking more than half an hour due to my general rabbiting on with folks. Eventually proceedings are taken over by folks- May I recommend the 'tent porter' service, shown here as expertly provided by Garfield and Madame B.

Eventually there's a hefty trek to the pub- why, it must have been all of fifty yards An evening of beers, chat- oh and not forgetting the cheese eh. At some point I wobble back to the tent.

There's a church nearby and the tents are quite cosily packed together. The overnight soundtrack is snore, fart, occasional clang, snore. A true blessing that motorcyclists carry ear plugs

Very early the following morning. Lesson: Port after a comprehensive evening on the pop is a bad idea.

Beer of the day: Hook Norton 'Cotswold Lion'. Enjoyed that.

Saturday

Not a bad sleep and no cheese dream last night. My last cheese dream following an overdose at Boxer Beet involved one of the Coldstream Guards turning up on a motorbike, bearskin et all, and shooting at people in an Indian restaurant.

Saturday was pretty much a chilled out affair. I wimped out of the road ride, opting for a trip to the Hook Norton brewery. Mr K takes the lead with Buz, Gibby, OldCodger, GSAddict and my good self in tow to cover the intrepid 3.5 miles. We did go through a ford though.
    Is that rufty tufty?

Hook Norton brewery. And a fine Victorian Structure it is.

Museum is a pleasant little diversion, no charge.

Yay... Doh.

The names of Hook Norton over the past. Interesting stuff.

Treasure. A few tasty take outs...

Mr K and Buz decide the going is a bit too much and opt to head back to base. The rest of us do another 3 miles, hard miles mind to lunch at The Norman Knight.

A fine selection of ales.

Just a cheeky one, after all, we're piloting the starship aren't we.

After a very decent leisurely rideout of a few more miles we arrive back for more beer and bollox.

A fine night follows.

Beer of the day: Hook Norton 'Old Hooky'. A splendid drop.

Sunday

I didn’t sleep much at all last night. It dropped down to 7 degrees overnight, much, much colder. Last night was positively balmy.
    Me, well, I'm a fair weather camper at the very best of times so this comes as a bit of a jolt- Camping + Motorcycles + Cold = Lunacy.
    Not much sleep is had. I'm very tired.

I was planning a ride with Rich before heading back, however, I do need to get home and he's emerged with a storming hangover, something to do with drinking until 3am, so that's off.

I set off with Garmin showing for 'shortest route' and it isn't until I'm haring over a bridge of the M40 that I work it out. Getting far too involved with excellent riding on those delectable Cotswold roads. Stuff it I think, I might as well just be late, so I carry on.

A road that claimed to be 'Brill'. It was alright but no big bananas.

There are a lot of cyclists around today. I guess that's inevitable being where we are and with it being Sunday and all. I've read various bits and bobs about how Cyclists are becoming more and more aggressive, I witnessed it in the flesh today. Groups of them ride in 'The Peloton' and seem to be behaving as ignorantly as possible. Now I'm not much of a cyclist, and I'm sure they've had their fair share of loons on the road but this seemed out of hand.

Topping it all was groups of them just emerging across the road to join up in a National speed limit, bringing the traffic to a shuddering halt

From now on I think I'll term these people as 'Suicyclists'

To make things worse I drop in on a friend on route. We get talking about things important and I get home very late. Not good. After a protracted sit down and some
    dinner it is dark outside and and I have a very early.
    I pack the bike up in the dark and that is a stupid thing to do. More of that later.

Beer of the day: Svurtys Old Port Scottish Ale. It might sound odd but it is gorgeous. A Lithuanian dark beer and the ideal one-before-bed as it proved to be.

That concludes the Ramble short. The main feature will start shortly. For those of you listening on Radio 4 Long Wave it will commence after the shipping forecast. In the mean time refreshments are available in reception.

Hook Norton

Spent a short break in this cracking little village this summer...didn't visit the brewery as could never get past the two excellent pubs on the way there...am now completely hooked on 'Hooky' - I'm sure the other brews are good too, it's just that once I'd tasted this stuff, I didn't really want to move off it!

Happy ramblings!

Nice report, Rob. I'll be keeping an eye out for the next one.

tell us about the packing

Hey Rob
    I may have an idea where your going, we are staying here for a day or two and can recommend it, nattering to another tosser called Casper ghost 42. He has been all over the Balkans on his trip.
    http://www.camping-albania.eu/

Thanks Paintman

Am actually sorted for a place tomorrow, being put up by some friends. But I'm going to be whizzing right past you guys at lunchtime

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post

That concludes the Ramble short.
    Is that it

FFS Rob you had better get packed up and feck of somewhere for Gawds sake, there are people on here sat waiting, watching ....

Now feck off will ya please ...

... and tell us about it

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast