K1300S - Issues?

I believe most of the issues with the early K1200S bikes were resolved by the time the K1300S was introduced in 2009 :nenau

The 1300 I tested was a lot more refined than my 2006 K1200S :thumby:

I am thinking about getting a K1300S to sit alongside the GS - what are the known issues?

The biggest issue is that you will never want to ride your GS ever again! :D

I've got a 2005 K1200 S which is my only transport and which I'm currently commuting 130 miles/day on. Just about to offer it for sale to move up to a K1300 S. they are phenomenal bikes.

I know the engines are top notch. Worked for a company who did the development work on the engine. I have done a fair few 1000 miles on the 1300 engine.

We basically abused them till something broke. By the end of the programme nothing broke no matter what we did!

No complaints from mine - (yet touch wood) just a leaking final drive seal replaced under warranty after covering the whole of france in 9 hours using mainly A roads :rolleyes:

946856_10151743347022363_648559849_n.jpg

Heard stories of the suspension ball joint at the front going requiring lots of cash.

Switch gear can fail but i think most have been sorted.

Hot starting - mine does this sometimes.

http://eurokclub.com/forum/how-technical-section-17/known-problems-k1300s-4013/

MPG better than my old 1200 GS

Jim:thumb

No complaints from mine - (yet touch wood) just a leaking final drive seal replaced under warranty after covering the whole of france in 9 hours using mainly A roads :rolleyes:

946856_10151743347022363_648559849_n.jpg

Heard stories of the suspension ball joint at the front going requiring lots of cash.

Switch gear can fail but i think most have been sorted.

Hot starting - mine does this sometimes.

http://eurokclub.com/forum/how-technical-section-17/known-problems-k1300s-4013/

MPG better than my old 1200 GS

Jim:thumb

Still not sorted the ball joint? My 2006 K1200S had its replaced under warranty at 12k miles.

Just pxd my 2009 K1300S for a 90th edition RT as my Carpal tunnel has got worse.

Bought it new, I fitted a CF rear hugged and a Sargent seat.

I did 15,000 miles, the problems were

Zumo 660 was changed by NOG when it was a month old as the Zumo kept draining the battery.

It had a number of recalls and software updates, all done when the bike was serviced.

Both side switch gears changed under warranty.

Lambda sensor failed at about 12k

Grumbly drive bearings (I didnt realise) changed under extended warranty.

All the above are common issues. Having said that, it never broke down when out and was the most powerful exciting bike I've ever ridden, my wife prefers the RT seat but I loved it.

If I was buying a used one, it would be one that had a BMW FSH from a BMW dealer.

Get one with a quick shifter

I've two k's since 2006, a 1200 and now a 1300. Both have been great although I preferred the 1200 to the 1300. The main weak point is the radiator, it's too low, picks up too much crap and will need cleaning regularly.
Do that, and use, it and your wife will think you are having an affair, keep coming home with a smile on your face. It's very economical and cheaper to service than the GS.

Mike

The ESA rear shockers can fail anytime after 20k miles DAMHIK:blast

The one on my K1300GT has lost all damping and is now like a pogo stick.

A BMW replacement is £1400 :eek but I have found a place in Yorkshire that does rebuilds for £169 :D:thumb

The ESA rear shockers can fail anytime after 20k miles DAMHIK:blast

The one on my K1300GT has lost all damping and is now like a pogo stick.

A BMW replacement is £1400 :eek but I have found a place in Yorkshire that does rebuilds for £169 :D:thumb

Firefox Racing in Keighley? Let us know how you get on (it's owned by a workmates stepfather who lives about 300m from me).

I love ESA on the GS and RT, but I've ridden a K1200R and K1300S with ESA and it seemed like a waste of money on bikes with stiff, short travel suspension :nenau My K1200S seemed more than adequate with normal suspension and only needed a quick twist of the rear preload adjuster for two-up work.

Firefox Racing in Keighley? Let us know how you get on (it's owned by a workmates stepfather who lives about 300m from me).

I love ESA on the GS and RT, but I've ridden a K1200R and K1300S with ESA and it seemed like a waste of money on bikes with stiff, short travel suspension :nenau My K1200S seemed more than adequate with normal suspension and only needed a quick twist of the rear preload adjuster for two-up work.

That's them Sven, I'm just waiting for my local indie dealer to calm down a bit as the K will need to be left in the workshop for a week while Firefox rebuild the shock - at the moment they are that busy they don't have the space for the bike to be left there.

What do you know of Firefox? Do they do a good job?

I can't really comment as I only get my tyres from there. They always do a good job when I use their ride in/ride out service.

Just pxd my 2009 K1300S for a 90th edition RT as my Carpal tunnel has got worse.

Vibration and a narrow grip diameter will aggravate arm / hand nerve problems.
Knotty wrist extensor muscles can trap the radial nerve in the forearm when they get pumped up. A good deep tissue massage will help if that's the issue.

Carpal tunnel (median nerve) is often a misdiagnosed.
It could also be a shoulder problem where the arm nerves are trapped between first rib and collar bone. Bikes with poor wind protection can aggravate because the muscles that hold your head against the wind can impinge the same nerves.

Google "thoracic outlet syndrome" and see if it fits the symptoms.

Anyone know the cost/difficulty of replacing the FD seal (like BikerJim had fail)?

Bike I'm considering needs it and no warranty.

Thanks all.

A

Back
Top Bottom