help, not good vibrations

Alpha

Reaction score
Hi, any advice pinpointing the cause.

My 05 GS (45K miles) has developed an orrible vibration al of a sudden. its not the front wheel bearing.

I took it for a little spin today and killed the engine. its still their. It has a tendency to feel as though their is some drag from the rear end and the vibration can be felt through your feet. (footpegs).

I was only going a few mph and weaving a little and oddly its more pronounced when the bike is leaning left? I thought it might be wheel bearing but their sound. no noic, not bad feel or movement in the wheel.

Any ideas?

Our BMW dealer doesnt have a great Rep so im loath to take it along with a blank cheque and my biking buddy is very mechanically minded so stripping bits and replacing swinging arm or drive shaft bearing ist beyond us, but I dont want to go on a mystery trip if the cause is well known and can be pinpointed

any and all advice appreciated

Dave

What tyres have you got on?

I get a vibration like you've described when my Conti Trail Attacks are getting worn. It's worse with a pillion.

What's the rear wheel like? Does it spin freely, any noise or roughness in the Final Drive? Any sideways play?

interesting about the tyres as I have conti trails on the bike. their getting a little worn but should have a few miles in them yet.

the rear wheel seems fine. it could be a bearing but with all gubbings around the drive shaft its hard to tell tbh. doesnt seem problematic, noisy, loose

but i was planning on changing the boots later this year anyway, so its a route to explore

Have you checked play in the rear wheel? Grab it at opposite points and see if there is any movement side to side.

Andres

I also have conti trails fitted and the rear is worn flat by the old owner....its very rough when cornering to the point you would think it was going to shake itself to bits....new tyre on order

Drop the rear tyre pressure to about 25psi and see if the vibes change. Dont go too far as its obviously flat but the lower pressure should cushion any tyre vibration. Take a pump with you, pump it up and see if there is any change riding the same roads back to back.

Hoping to forestall any "this is risky, you cant be too careful" comments - the handling wont be right of course, but this is simply to check for tyre vibration. If the vibes stop with a low pressure tyre the cause is unlikely to be the chassis.

if the previous info is no good about tyres,then try the front wheel bearings mate,when i had my 05 gs ,i had three sets in there.
an easy change :thumb

I have got these exact symptoms on my new GSA with only 3500 on the tyres. Had it since around 2500 and dealer test ride confirmed as a common tyre problem when squared off. Conti trail attack Oem tyres. Don,t really understand why squared I ride brisklyon bendy roads and have negligible chicken strips. Tyres have still got a few k left in them but won't be buying these again. It,s like cornering on a corrugated surface.

O had Conti Road Attacks on a Yamaha 900 (a booger for squaring its back tyre). The tyre was great to about 3500 miles but squared off badly and became absolutely horrible. Talk about a phase change. I put up with it for another 1000 because by then I was doing a lot of motorway riding.

My point is the RA squares off badly. The chances are the TA is as bad it does look very similar. I generally like Contis, but unlikely to be using TAs on my GSA.

Very Interesting !

Until I found this thread, I had been considering taking my GSA into the dealers for a check over.
I have an almost new set of TA's on the bike and had the final drive bearing replaced in March. Also no issues with the front wheel bearing.

Recently rode from Santander down to Almeria, two up and fully loaded, noticed a definite vibration through the footrests when cornering at low speeds around the mountain roads, on good and bad road surfaces.
when cornering at high speed, no hint of vibration.
Tyre pressures are as per the manual.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom