Ouch

That was bad, I hope his pillion survived as well.:comfort It's easy to make judgements from the comfort of an armchair, maybe he could have backed off a bit before the junction, maybe he could have moved more to the left to give a better view into the bend and make himself more visible. Who knows? How many of us would have been riding in exactly the same manner, enjoying the sun, the ride, in the moment of it all and just relaxing that fraction too much then wham!

There but for the grace of.......etc:eek

Can the armchair critics join in as well?

62 mph.....not slow, but not ridiculously fast either.....it didn't change though, even when it was fairly apparent that the Punto(?) was hesitating and looked dangerous.....I would have thought he could have scrubbed off a good amount of that speed :nenau

His riding prior to that was, IMO, not at all bad...fairly conservative lines and cornering, nothing that struck me as 'ooooh he's gonna kill himself and his pillion (shadow seen) if he carries on like that.....I reckon some of the IAM guys will say he should have used more of the road up, cutting closer to the apexes etc, but naww, I was happy enough with that.

The crunch.....not much to say really, the car was an obvious threat from its body language the millisecond it came into view, and he either didn't react fast enough, didn't brake hard enough (if at all) and/or didn't go for the exit to the left with enough conviction.

Ouch indeed.....he was lucky but at least he's alive to post it......that's all that counts really :thumb2

Car driver twat, biker semi twat but it could have been any of us :(

I had the same thing happen many years ago I was lucky and stopped about an inch from the drivers door. I can still see today the look of horror in his face as he looked into the headlights of my at the time gsxr 750 that were a foot from his face, that day we were both just lucky it could have been a lot worse

With Fanum :thumb

Some nice smooth lines, good positioning for the most. He could have scrubbed some speed off the millisecond he saw that car the writing was on the wall. The car kept coming yet he started to veer left, collision assured.

It went wrong for him .... there's not a second out there, on the road, that it can't go wrong for us, any of us, at any time :rob

:beerjug:

Too fast on the approach to the junction. I would have been on the brakes the second I saw the car and would have assumed he was going to pull out. But then I'm a chicken :D ;)

:blagblah
..... but it could have been any of us :(

It's gonna happen sooner or later :eek let he who is without sin cast the first 'yeah well .... I'd have been here, and would have positioned there ...' etc

If you put the vid on 5:05 (or in slow mo 5:15) and stop it dead, you can see that he's starting to peel himself in, to set himself up for the left hander in the distance. But crucially, there's a fragment of road he's not 'cleared' for want of a better word.
Did he know the road? Who knows, and food for thought is the old adage of 'always ride a road like you don't know it'.

Do I 'clear' every bit of tarmac before I turn in and position?? Hand on heart? Probably not. I try to, but on a road I know it's all too easy to get the bit between your teeth and start having a play - and that's why I say let he who is without sin and all that ..

Have a look at the pic below;

From where the pic is taken, most riders would be peeling in towards the crown of the road (if not further) to set themselves up for the left hander. But there's inches... inches!! of road that we haven't quite seen (cleared) tucked away in the corner. What if there's a junction there just like in the video, and on my fandangled LC1200, I've just cracked the throttle open and am really winding it up to 80, 90 plus? Naughty? Irresponsible? Tell me you don't do it yourselves .. :rob

And worthy of mention again, is Car A posts. Never under estimate the huge blind spots these cause - although the video example is rural and probably too quick for eye contact , if your urban, always think 'is their A post blinding me..'

(see the bike behind the A post ??)

To the OP's post .... as Giles says, the bike started to position for the left hander ahead without clearing the itsy bitsy teeny bit of unseen ... we've all done that, and jumped in to action when something popped into view from 'nowhere' (?)

The car was already moving when we first see it .... to the driver it was a clear road when he started to emerge :nenau

Nobody notice the blind spot mirror on a pole which the vehicles ended up at the base of? It gives lots of early warning for both vehicles, but only if the driver and rider look at it...

Nobody notice the blind spot mirror on a pole which the vehicles ended up at the base of? It gives lots of early warning for both vehicles, but only if the driver and rider look at it...

Yup, a big mirror, big giveaway to slow down a bit....very lucky guy if he's the one who picked up the camera......:eek:

Nope...didn't see that in the vid until re-watched after you said it, I must admit....it is directly opposite the junction though so certainly of less use than a 'normal' sign as we have in the UK

Looking back, there are NO signs warning of a junction ahead, although there are lots of the snow/carriageway markers.....that seemed to be the style all the way through though, so that ought to have been a consideration in the rider's subconscious throttle factor

EDIT....actually Mike, I don't think it's much of a warning sign 'that they both should have seen' much at all......it's purely an aid for the driver joining the main route (the biker's road) to see down it at 90+ degrees......from the point where it becomes visible to the rider, it's at 45 degrees to him and the car bonnet is actually more visible by that time.

We have them here.....they're convex mirrors opposite farm or private drives usually, and they're utterly useless at showing the incoming traffic to the 'main' route traffic.....they are also fekkin hard to spot because of the angles they are necessarily at.

I hold my hands up.....I probably wouldn't have seen that mirror until I was laying on the road under it either.

Nope...didn't see that in the vid until re-watched after you said it, I must admit....it is directly opposite the junction though so certainly of less use than a 'normal' sign as we have in the UK

Looking back, there are NO signs warning of a junction ahead, although there are lots of the snow/carriageway markers.....that seemed to be the style all the way through though, so that ought to have been a consideration in the rider's subconscious throttle factor

EDIT....actually Mike, I don't think it's much of a warning sign 'that they both should have seen' much at all......it's purely an aid for the driver joining the main route (the biker's road) to see down it at 90+ degrees......from the point where it becomes visible to the rider, it's at 45 degrees to him and the car bonnet is actually more visible by that time.

We have them here.....they're convex mirrors opposite farm or private drives usually, and they're utterly useless at showing the incoming traffic to the 'main' route traffic.....they are also fekkin hard to spot because of the angles they are necessarily at.

I hold my hands up.....I probably wouldn't have seen that mirror until I was laying on the road under it either.

Those mirrors are not uncommon on the continent. My point is that as soon as you saw the mirror (not what was in it), you should be thinking "They don't put those up for no reason" and be ready for a blind junction on the right. I would agree that they are there for the benefit of the traffic at the junction, but would disagree that they're useless for the bike rider - the car would have been clearly visible in the mirror. I use shop windows, shadows etc to get early warning (and car door mirrors when riding through town, as an indicator of whether a parked car is preparing to pull out - a much smaller target than the mirror in question).

His positioning wasn't bad, but extending it would've given him an earlier view. I'm not saying I wouldn't have had the prang given the same circumstances, but the positioning of the mirror is exactly the kind of thing I've been trained to look for...

Mike :cool:

Difficult to call but the car is in full view before he even starts to slow down,then only manages to scrub 10kmh before impact.

Maybe lacking a little forward vision :nenau

Steve

Looking at the video I'd say his throttle bodies need attention, very rough at low revs :D

Holy Moley that's horrible. Even though I obviously knew what was going to happen the appearance of the Punto absolutely surprised me.
Like the rider I was just enjoying the ride, marvelling at the road, the scenery & the weather then out of nowhere 'Bang'.

TBH the lad's clearly a far better rider than me & it's a right good lesson of how things can just go suddenly tits up. :eek:

If you pause it just as the car starts to appear you can see he's pretty much middle of the road. Closer to the white line may have opened up a view of the car earlier and allowed him to scrub off some of the speed.

Just shows how quick it can all go pear shaped though. :(

Any comments from the professional riders out there?

Why should professional riders comment, just means we get/got paid for it, dont mean actualy any good, or know more about it than anyone else!!!!

Back
Top Bottom