TDM 850 question

bisbee

VIGILUM
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Are they any good? Any weak points things to look out for please :nenau

I had one, it was great bike.

Quick enough, coped with 2 up touring.

The front brakes tend to seize up over the winter if not looked after.

Put 25k on my TDM. Way ahead of its time and was comfy, quick, reasonably frugal, handled well enough with only the brakes being a bit lacking. If I could find an early minter, I'd have another.

Yes, I had a new one in 1996 - mk2 version with the same crank as the TRX. I would say go for one of these as Yamaha made many changes: as well as the engine the suspension was improved and they nicked the brakes off the FZR600. Mk2 looks a lot better too.

Obviously, the bike was in production for many years so you will need to check age related problems on early ones. However, I have seen a few TDM850s recently, mainly on my trips across to France where they are very popular, and they seem to be quite durable and many look very tidy still.

I loved the engine and have a 1200cc version in my S10 now. As stated above, they are very good 2 up. In my view, the TDM is one of the better UJMs of the last couple of decades. Never that popular in the UK but you see loads across the Channel, so pattern parts & accessories are readily available.

Really good bike with few weak areas and often overlooked.
Exhaust downpipes can corrode badly but not too expensive to replace with aftermarket options. Checking oil level can be awkward due to position of spyglass and no centre stand as standard, and needs it to be checked hot. Most use a bit of oil, some don't, probably depends a bit on how it's ridden. I needed an MRA Vario screen to get rid of horrible turbulence and buffeting above 50mph.
I won't be selling mine any time soon!

Great bikes ! I had an early one, before Yamaha changed the crank to a 270. Of all the 30 plus bikes I've owned it's one of my favourites, a great all rounder.
Weak points....the exhaust collecter boxes can rot,
keep an eye on the oil level, every now and again the level can drop for no apparant reason
the suspension can be on the soft side if riden hard

Took one for a test ride many years back, used, with a view to purchase. I liked the TDM overall, but the gearbox put me right off. In slow speed town traffic it would out clunk a clunky thing!

Bloody awful box in my experience.

Three of my Blackbird riding mates have recently added TeDiuMs to their stables and absolutely swear by them . Lot of fun, build quality excellent, reliable and bloody good prices. Check out CARPE ( I think it is) the Tedium riders forum where, like here, you'll get some really good, fair deals.

Borderraider of this parish has had one for a while now. Very knowledgeable chap, I'd pm him.:thumb

I've had one, great bikes... Watch the exhaust headers... They rot..

Brilliant bikes.

Commuted on two for years (the one was written off by someone pulling out in front of me), probably putting around 80.000 miles combined.

As stated, the front callipers can bind, due to corrosion, but are cheap as chips to overhaul.
Make sure you tape the HT leads at the plug end, and the covers at the coil end. Heavy rain can get in to them, but it runs fine on one cylinder :D

I had the bottom end of the rear shock shear from the mount on two occasions (once on each bike).
Each time there was no danger as it stays in place. You only notice it when you raise the back end and the swing arm goes down further than expected.

They can be susceptible to clutch squeal, but it is only when pulling off and not consistently.

Acceleration is nice and smooth. It is supposed to be linear, but there is a bit of boost, just over 4000 rpm.
Even one up, if you want to rag it, you may need to drop 2 gears rather than just 1.

They are rock solid bikes and worth every penny of what ever you pay.

Just bought a 900 a couple of weeks ago and can't believe what I've been missing!!

Back
Top Bottom