Screens (Again)

Stephen Feber

Screens – after trying the standard screen in all positions, and then taking it off – which was better, I bough an MRA adjustable screen from Germany. Which was better but still allowed the turbulence I disliked a lot. This was a weird side to side movement that shook my head uncomfortably at speed = 80/90 mph. This rendered the bike pretty useless on long runs. Yes, I do avoid the motorways at all costs but there are times when a blast on a motorway is needed. So, I took the plunge – following web testimonials and bought an Aeroflow screen from Calamander. This is an altogether more serious piece of kit and so it should be @ £325. I was supplied with the standard upper half but I still found that too low. Today I fitted the taller screen they supplied and hey presto, turbulence free riding. I’ll take a pic of it and post it when I have time. There are a lot of individual things that affect turbulence, obviously; how tall you are, what shape you helmet is etc. etc. I am 6’ 1”. I can truly say it’s never bothered me before in 35 years on many different bikes but the weird front end of the 1150 GS seems to disturb the air in strange ways. I really object to the cost but the costs of importing the kit and the duty whack the costs of US gear up a lot, as we all know. Was it worth it? Yes! I’ll be selling the MRA screen I due course - which some people rate.

-----
Stephen Feber

Really interested in the screen debate. I have only just got my GS and think it is brilliant but am being driven mad by the screen. Over 80, it shakes my head from side to side so much my vision goes blurred. I have tried every combination of seat height and screen position but cannot get rid of the buffeting. Aeroflow looks like the answer but looks ugly in the pictures - are you pleased with it in real life?

Yorky from what I have seen so far the givi screen looks a good bet, but without doubt the new screen on the adventurer is excellent, when it will become available i dont know, but could be worth the wait.

Simon

-----
LIVE THE DREAM AND ENCOMPASS THE SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE - 2002 RWT.

What I would say about the screen issue is that it doesn’t really matter what it looks like – if you can’t ride the thing because of the buffeting then the bike is useless in the real world. I would take it seriously, because I got neck problems from using mine and accepting the buffeting. Not pleasant. And don’t believe those who say ‘It isn’t a problem’ – where you ride, how tall you are and what shape your helmet is all make a difference. And, of course, how fast. I need the bike to do A and B roads plus motorway and big A road blasts, otherwise it just isn’t practical. It’s got to be comfortable at 80-100 mph as well as on the smaller roads. Is it ugly – the Aeroflow? Yes. But then the whole bike is fairly ugly anyway – so it just adds the weird preying mantis effect. Except its now Mantis + Glasses. When I can borrow the digital camera at work I’ll take a pic and post it on the site. Alternatively look at the Aeroflow site. Calamander were good to deal with, by the way….

-----
Stephen Feber

Hi Stephen
Any more to say about the Aeroflow screen? I'd appreciate your thoughts on how it differs from the MRA screen - looking at the pics of the two they both seem to have the same idea re a duct to channel air up the rear of the screen. How does the Aeroflow differ in performance re noise and turbulence?
£325 is a lot to pay for another replacement screen. I've already forked out £60 for the extra height of the Skidmarx version, which helped some but not enough - hence my interest in how you're getting on.
Thanks
David Ellison

Having recently bought a GS1150 after a lifetime of bmw touring bikes I have run into the same problem. I am 6'1" and get my ears boxed on high speed runs. I've been abroad twice in the last few weeks and find it necessary to use the Motorways to get to the more interesting motorcycle roads. I've two questions I'm hoping someone will be able to help with. How long before the Adventurer screen is available (next year is a bit vague) and does anyone who has fitted the Aeroflow screen live near West London and be willing to let me have a look and maybe a run round the block. It's a lot of money to fork out without seing one or if possible riding with one.

The adventurer, so i was told at the NEC should be released late March. (TBC)

-----
LIVE THE DREAM AND ENCOMPASS THE SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE - 2002 RWT.

I've got an MRA screen 1 month ago and find it good,although I didn't have a massive problem with the stock screen.I'm 6'1" also and have the tilt set in middle position and the MRA in the highest or 2nd highest position with no turbulance problems,but still need earplugs as noise isn't reduced.With the stock screen I also had it set in middle tilt position with little or no turbulance , certainly not anything like vision blurring.I have seat on highest setting and don't mind a bit a 'air movement' which is different to turbulence.The biggest difference between the MRA and stock screen is the absence of pronounced flip on the MRA,plus the infinite screen height adjustment.
I've had a R1100RT for 10,000 miles with the electric screen and you could 'trim it' to sit in a still 'bubble of air' and I hated having no wind movement -your head was physically 'sucked' forward towards the clocks and accompanied by a surreal still sound - most unpleasant and strange on a bike.Personally I like the feel of the elements - wind and rain - comes with motorcycling territory.
JohnnyBMWBoxer

Sorry for my duplicate thread, I can only see the forum after I have started a thread! Anyway, the ERMAX screen (approx £100) that I saw at SPC has an adjustable top section that I would guess can be adjusted to suit every rider. Anyone else seen one?

-----
Richard S

Skidmarx

Did the trick for me - But I'm only 5'8" so might not suit all

Having seen the price of some of the other screens mentioned in this thread it seems a snip @ £60!

Rating for the MRA vario

Does anyone out there have one of these and how do they rate it?
I am 5' 11" and the Givi long is OK but I would like something a bit quieter. Air over my head rather than into my forehead.
Oh and what was the damage please?

thanks in advance

Steve

I keep seeing good references to the MRA screen. From where are you guys buying this screen and what's the damage?

So the £33 saving covers the cost of 6 laps of the Nordschlieffe on the Nurburgring(about 15 miles from Wunderlich).
Now that's definitely worth the saving - 15 miles of great track per lap , with 74 bends and a rise up and down of 400m over the whole lap.One of the best 'blacktop' biking experiences and you can mix this with some swervy Mosel roads and a trip to the Wunderlich GS funhouse.

John Bellamy said:
One of the best 'blacktop' biking experiences and you can mix this with some swervy Mosel roads and a trip to the Wunderlich GS funhouse.

Right on!! Did it last June with a couple of mates. Best fun I've ever had with me clothes on. Come to think of it, it was the best fun I've ever had, period. Bought a weeks ticket, went nearly every day.

Kept getting whupped by a couple of locals on Tigga's though!

Obligatory GS content - the MRA screen, in my opinion, really works. Way better than stock and the Givi.

thanks - the MRA screen sounds like a bargain compared to the £hundreds charged for the Aeroflow jobbie, especially when it gets good reports. I'll check that out. :)

screen shot - no pun intended.

screen shot

Attachments

• gs_johnnyboxer_preview.jpg
    gs_johnnyboxer_preview.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 152
screenshot

screen 2

Attachments

• spirit of xmas 1.jpg
    spirit of xmas 1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 218