No more sleeps

Mad_Accountant

Reaction score
I've just arrived home in the pouring rain on my new Triple Black Adventure.

I'd ridden into Vines on my F650, through horrible traffic jams in foul weather and home on the TB, also in solid traffic in disgusting rain so I had back to back comparisons.

I like them both, they are chalk and cheese so keeping them both would be great but I'm limiting myself to one big Beemer plus my scooter. Accordingly the GSA gets it. The weight has defeated me before so I accept what you lot are likely to say next :blast but this time I am using a lowered Segeant seat and it's more about confidence anyway.

However I want to say a HUGE thank you to whoever it was that posted recently to say that two wheels plus one leg makes a much more stable tripod than two wheels and two wobbly legs waving around in the breeze. Even on the standard Adventure seat adopting that practice has improved things greatly.

This Forum (in spite of all the abuse) :p:blagblah IS worth it's weight in gold.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Phil

Congratulations on the new bike. If you like your new bike as much as I do my 13 GSA you're a happy chappy..

Congratulations on your new toy Mad-Accountant.

I hope the weekend weather improves so that you can do some running in.

Neil

Thought you were waiting until 2014 and for a WC

That didn't last long or have you sold the Motorhome?

Thought you were waiting until 2014 and for a WC

That didn't last long or have you sold the Motorhome?

Hell no! The motorhome has been with us for 3 months /3000 miles and is a huge success.

My r100r is on the naughty step following one failure too many, so I'm downsizing to Motorhome, c1 scooter and the Triple Black.

I have not waited for the LC Adventure as the deal on the run out model was spectacular (and very short lived). I personally have no need of 125 bhp so, although I have the greatest respect for the new model, it's not for me.

My car, my f650 and my faithful old Boxer are all to go. What I need to do now is ride/ drive the hind legs off the vehicles I have, all of which must earn their keep now.

I have not waited for the LC Adventure as the deal on the run out model was spectacular (and very short lived)..

Congrats on the new bike and enjoy. Got a TB on the same deal in July and just back from Pyrenees with 6k on the clock already. Loving the bike and the Sargent low seat. 20 miles stop start crawling round the m25 2 up fully loaded in a jam would have been pretty nightmarish with the standard. Bike hasn't missed a beat and the more I ride it the more I like it. Absolutely epic grunt and control over the mountain passes. Has the deal finished already ?

Enjoy.:thumb A cracking bike you have there.:beerjug:

Congrats on the new bike and enjoy. Got a TB on the same deal in July and just back from Pyrenees with 6k on the clock already. Loving the bike and the Sargent low seat. 20 miles stop start crawling round the m25 2 up fully loaded in a jam would have been pretty nightmarish with the standard. Bike hasn't missed a beat and the more I ride it the more I like it. Absolutely epic grunt and control over the mountain passes. Has the deal finished already ?

Sorry I made a misleading statement. The deal is ongoing but subject to availability and is likely to sell out quickly.

Update, I tried her yesterday with the Sargent seat and what a difference! Quite apart from the obvious comfort improvmwnt it has cured the reach problem but also I am tucked in lower behind the screen so the turbulence and blast is now hitting the top of my lid.

The seat and pillion seat is rich black and suits the Triple Black well.

I'm very pleased with the whole package :clap

Agreed I found the wind noise and buffeting did improve a lot with the lowered seat and with the weight of pillion and luggage. Try experimenting with the screen height - unlike my previous GS the best position for least buffeting is not the highest. Great bikes these GSA's....

Agreed I found the wind noise and buffeting did improve a lot with the lowered seat and with the weight of pillion and luggage. Try experimenting with the screen height - unlike my previous GS the best position for least buffeting is not the highest. Great bikes these GSA's....

Have a look at the MRA Xscreen. I have this on mine and buffeting is significantly reduced. I prefer it over the Tourtech screen extension as it doesn't put a lump of metal in your sight line.

Greatest bike and you live in the Lake District

See, you CAN have it all !

My wife is telling everyone that give it three months and I'll be changing bikes again. Statistically (given my lamentable history over the last few years) she has a point by I have a lovely Bilbo's Komba camper van, a BMW C1 scooter and the Adventure. To me this is a perfect fleet and works well in combination.

She would not take a bet using a replacement cat as the stake.

End of season woes aside I can't wait to start putting some serious miles into this bike. My aim is to have it properly run in by the spring.

Does anyone have any experience of keeping these bikes outside under a cover? I have a good quality breathable, soft lined cover and I'm hoping that it will cope if it is ridden at least weekly and washed using a waxy car shampoo regularly.

Ride safe everyone and thanks for the good wishes :)

Mine lives outside under a cover. I'm not the world's most enthusiastic bike washer/polisher and TBH it shows. General durability of the brightwork and alloy parts has been at best poor, at worst downright atrocious. Having said that, at two years of age it seems to have reached a plateau - it looks like a 5-8 year old bike but shows little sign of getting significantly worse.

My old F800ST was better in this regard.

I'd recommend buying a cheap leaf blower and using it to blow dry the bike after washing then spray it lightly with WD40 or FS365 prior to covering over. You'd be amazed how much water blows off the thing and out of the nooks and crannies. Some folks swear by ACF50 but I only use it sparingly on hard to reach and unseen areas as it ends up a bit of a mess.

I learned the one leg (right leg) and 2 wheels tripod thing when I fitted a longer rear shock to my Diversion 900. Just be aware that in traffic you need to leave a bit more space than usual. If a car or bike in front stops unexpectedly you need time not only to stop but to potentially get the "wrong" leg down.

Ive now had my GSA for 10 months and 11K miles. I tried a low-low Kahedo but could not get on with a bar height or scrunched up legs and ended up with a standard GS height seat (also a Kahedo). 80% of the time I have it set high (same as GSA on low). If i'm doing much start stop riding I drop it to the low setting. 20mm makes a big difference.

IMO the Givi airflow 330 with tobinators is the best screen setup. It causes rain to blow down the visor but its no big issue. One helmet has 1" of rubber edge strip on the visor to hold it slightly open. no misting and no visor rattle.

I'd recommend buying a cheap leaf blower and using it to blow dry the bike after washing then spray it lightly with WD40 or FS365 prior to covering over. You'd be amazed how much water blows off the thing and out of the nooks and crannies. Some folks swear by ACF50 but I only use it sparingly on hard to reach and unseen areas as it ends up a bit of a mess.

After I have washed it, which I only do when it's dry, I take it for a run long enough to dry from the heat of the engine (having dried it with a shammy and a towel as much as I can) - cheaper and more fun than a leafblower.

I don't cover it when it's wet, it stays wet until weather is drier.

I have a garage (unheated) and a neighbour who regularly blocks my access, bad enough when I can't put the bike away but maddening when I want the bike out and I have to ask him to move the vans (2 of them)

My dilemma is, do I have a bike with some corrosion or I bike I can't use 50% of the time? It's where my previous Adventures have hit the rails so now I would only garage the bike if I'm not using it for at least a week.

By the way - the Sargent seat is great!

Back
Top Bottom