K1100 mechanical fettle

Belper phil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
LTSE 1995 on an M plate:

Bit of a mechanical fettle for the K and thought I would put it in here with some pics. Nothing like the excellence of Mike P but you’ll get the jist and really all thanks to a man named Mech – he is on here and is worth his weight in gold.

Garage space - bench time, and other than me helping to strip it on the first night - he did the fookin lot :eek: – all this in between his day job and fixing anything and everything.

Bike has been running well but a couple of months ago I noticed some clutch slip when moving away from a roundabout. Nursed it home without stretching it and did some clutch adjustments – testing – more clutch adjustment and seemed to have cured it.

However, it kept nagging away at me and i thought bollox – lets tear it down and find out exactly what the fook it is – one way or another.

Box out, complete with swing arm and final drive – remove clutch and find it’s only the friction plate worn below tolerance :clap

IMG_0491_zps099e765f.jpg

Previous owner had it 12 years and although there is only 45 k on the clock it seems the friction plate has had enough – time for a new one and a look at other things whilst we are this far in.

IMG_0500_zps120ca46d.jpg

IMG_0503_zpse3f38678.jpg

Cush drive rubbers in the alternator removed, cleaned, inspected and they were like new.

Clutch cleaned up and along with new friction plate re-built.

IMG_0493_zps3540a25e.jpg

IMG_0496_zps36023646.jpg

IMG_0499_zps0ca7c7bf.jpg

Not alot - but makes all the difference.

IMG_0505_zps9ff0529e.jpg

IMG_0507_zps33e5ec97.jpg

IMG_0513_zpsae412157.jpg

Gearbox splines are in excellent condition, so Honda Moly 60’d and slide gearbox back in.

IMG_0511_zps907ed6f9.jpg

Repalced clutch pushrod seal at this point so that everything's hunky dory.

Whilst we are this far decided to split the final drive and inspect what things are like after 18 yrs and 45 k – Steptoe is always right :thumb and here again he was bang on – K1100 final drive splines do not wear – they are like new, so Honda Moly 60’d and slide it back it to place.

IMG_0517_zps49e7b34e.jpg

IMG_0519_zps8bfaca67.jpg

On top of all this, the bike had a full fluids, inc coolant – brake fluid and fork all change – all filters (inc air filter – maybe the first it’s had and although it did’nt need it, I had one) spark plugs, throttle body sync and new tyres.

Took it out and ran it 80 miles and felt lovely – it’s really done the old girl good and many, many thanks to Mech for all his help and expertise (it is very much appreciated) – off to Jaber’s now to fit some proper panniers :beerjug:

Last edited:
Snap! :thumb2

Well sort of. I've not got as far as the clutch yet but today I whipped the shaft off my 1100LT and found the splines to be good:

K1100LT%20%2832%29-L.jpg

K1100LT%20%2830%29-L.jpg

It's taken me most of the evening to separate the two halves of the FD casing though. Never had one like that before but got there in the end:

K1100%20LT%20%2842%29-L.jpg

I had planned to just fix the duff brakes and then ride it for a couple of months. :blast :D

Back
Top Bottom