Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: November Wander - France (or somewhere) - 8-9 November

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The routes I hope we will do are, from memory: 1, 2.1 and 2.2. These should be, the Chunnel to St Quentin, via St Pol ( scene of my near demise) and Albert. Then St Quentin to St Valerie, followed by St Valerie back to the Chunnel.

I then lobbed in three alternative ways back, numbered 4,5 and 6 I think. These are consecutive routes from St Quentin, via places like Hesdin and Cap Gris Nez.

Richard et al,

Enjoy your trip, i'm in Bouillon next weekend so may see you guys at the tunnel
    LBL

Life's too short.

Hi Lloyd,

I haven't been to Bouillon for a couple of years, other than stopping off for a coffee on the (indirect) way back from Vianden or Clervaux. Must sort out something for 2014, if possible.

Richard

So thought I'd upload the maps today Richard and all went well with some nice routes. Then I thought I'd be clever and update the maps and now I appear to be travelling in fields rather than on the roads and seem to be on French maps when I put in a location to go to. Selecting England or UK doesn't seem to work either.
    So just started to completely reload all of Europe maps in the hope that that clears the problem.
    Real pain as I have a week travelling around the north of England this week not to mention the trip.
    On another point Richard, if I decide to go over Friday evening and stay in St Omer is there a suitable location en route to meet up?
    Cheers Brian.

Hi Brian,

Good luck with the maps.

The St Pol payage exit, I can't remember the number off the top of my head (5 or 6, I think?) would work.

I will post our planned trip to you in the new year Richard, will be good to have you along

Lloyd
    LBL

Life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Hi Brian,

Good luck with the maps.

The St Pol payage exit, I can't remember the number off the top of my head (5 or 6, I think?) would work.
    All sorted Richard I had to start from scratch again and totally reload the maps, not so slow the second time around so I presume it had missed out UK for some reason. I will let you know if we r going over on Friday otherwise see you all at the Chunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by LBL View Post
    I will post our planned trip to you in the new year
    Good man

I have received some questions, which are easiest answered here....

(1) The trains are:

OUT Saturday 09 November 2013 - Departure time 10:50

BACK Sunday 10 November 2013 - Departure time 19:20

(2) There is a fuel station at junction 11 of motorway, one junction BEFORE the Chunnel exit at Junction 11A., driving south from London. If bods could fuel up there before getting on the train, great.

(3) I plan to be at the Chunnel passenger waiting area thing AFTER the check-in barriers at the Chunnel in good time before the 10:50 train departs. They generally start calling vehicles through about 30 minutes before departure, say around 10:20. Let's guess that I will be in the waiting area sometime around 09:50, checked-in and ready to go when called.

If you can't find me / the others and they have calked the train. No problem, head for the train and France. Still can't find us? No problem... See (6) below.

(4) When checking-in, make sure the machine / human gives you the right boarding time.

(5) If anyone has booked themselves onto an earlier train, there is still time to change the ticket (probably at zero cost) either on-line or via telephone, direct with the Chunnel ticket office.

(6) If someone somehow gets on an earlier train (it has happened) no worries. Wait at the first petrol station on the left when leaving the train. It's about 3/4 of a mile along the dual carriageway BEFORE you get to the motorway; you can't miss it and it's in the Garmin route already. You all have my mobile number, just ping me a text and we'll meet you there. They sell coffee and buns, so you'll not starve.

(7) Similarly, if you miss the train, ping me a text. We can wait at the fuel station in France or make other arrangements to suit, depending on the time and nature of your delay. It has happened, so don't worry.

I think that's it.

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks Richard,all sounds good. Let's just hope for some reasonable weather. I must get my kit dried out after 100 motorway miles in the rain last night with water pissing in through the top of my System 6 visor......

Better maybe than the first cold trickle into the under crackers, a true harbinger of three hours of misery.

On that cheery note, the long(ish) range forecast is not too bad at the moment.... Early days.

Thanks Richard

Helped me with the questions, so best I change the train time to a bit later......No prob.
    See you all soon

Cheers Bryan

I will be going on my 1600. It's red ( or whatever colour BMW call it).

On arrival I have taken up parking in or near the dedicated 'motorbike parking' area, an ill designed space created by the Chunnel operators near the smokers' hut thing.

If anyone decides to park in the dedicated area, thoughtfully provided by the Chunnel operators, make sure that some numpty biker who arrives after you does not block you in, exercising their 'I park where it suits me, mate' rights under the Bikers' Charter.

I have seen it happen; it's really very funny.

PS DON'T FORGET YOUR LUNCH!

Fat Bikers Bounce Better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    What lunch?
    Arrogant Patronising English scum living the dream ...

Lunch on Saturday

The train time makes having lunch in France very awkward.

I suggest everyone brings a sandwich / fatted calf / fifteen course spread and a bottle of pop to have on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmaslen View Post
    All sorted Richard I had to start from scratch again and totally reload the maps, not so slow the second time around so I presume it had missed out UK for some reason. I will let you know if we r going over on Friday otherwise see you all at the Chunnel.
    Updating maps!!! nightmare That is why I brought a fully loaded EU map SD card , plug in and go for £49. No more messing with updates.

dxtans
    David is...
    Going Down on a Signal 15 !

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast