Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terra

10 mile spin

Well forgot how good that engine is compared to the 650xc or Gs bags of torque and silly speeds very quickly
    Handles so much better than the 650gs and the comparison stops there
    It's a great little package and you only notice the weight when putting it in the garage
    Absolute bargain at that price
    Next test will be off road leading a ride Sunday but haven't got time to change everything over just yet
    Gfj and Timpo give me a bell if you fancy a spin

The bling starts to arrive

What are they like?

Having taken my GSA off road on alpine jeep tracks, I've decided that as much as I love it as a road and touring bike, it is just too big for the sort of off road I will be riding, so I'm thinking of downsizing to a 650 type size bike for Adv Touring and local tooling about in the alps. I like the Terra, have done ever since it first came out. I'm not looking for a fire breathing enduro bike with perfect off road capability since I'll do 70% road 30% off road at best. So, how does the Terra stack up? I know it's a bit heavy and the fuel tank is a bit small and maybe the suspension a bit soft. There's a 220+ page thread on the adv rider site, which I've not had the chance (or inclination) to trawl, so looking for some feedback from owners. The obvious choices seem to be this, an XT660R or Tenere, or BMW X-Country or X-Challenge. I'm aware of the KTM take-over and likely short lifespan of this model, but heck, I owned a Cagiva once, long after they stopped trading, so I'm not too worried about dealer back up.

Appreciate any advice on the bike and it's capability as an adv touring bike on mountain roads and 4x4 tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by mb4807 View Post
    Having taken my GSA off road on alpine jeep tracks, I've decided that as much as I love it as a road and touring bike, it is just too big for the sort of off road I will be riding, so I'm thinking of downsizing to a 650 type size bike for Adv Touring and local tooling about in the alps. I like the Terra, have done ever since it first came out. I'm not looking for a fire breathing enduro bike with perfect off road capability since I'll do 70% road 30% off road at best. So, how does the Terra stack up? I know it's a bit heavy and the fuel tank is a bit small and maybe the suspension a bit soft. There's a 220+ page thread on the adv rider site, which I've not had the chance (or inclination) to trawl, so looking for some feedback from owners. The obvious choices seem to be this, an XT660R or Tenere, or BMW X-Country or X-Challenge. I'm aware of the KTM take-over and likely short lifespan of this model, but heck, I owned a Cagiva once, long after they stopped trading, so I'm not too worried about dealer back up.

Appreciate any advice on the bike and it's capability as an adv touring bike on mountain roads and 4x4 tracks.
    You need to go try one great little bike haven't taken off road properly yet only gravel and it's fine

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    A guy I Dirt / Dualsport ride with got a Terra the beginning of this year. He is a very experienced off-road rider, used to race, etc. Anyways, he just loves the Bike and rants and raves about it. He goes on about how smooth the engine is and light the Bike feels.

The only problem he has had is the tail light assembly breaking off. This seems to be a known problem.

The Bike is great off-road and and on-road on the twisties.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    North

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

Stefan has finished the bashplate georgeous, heated grips, sw motec hand guards , and engine bars fitted
    Bling bling

Quote Originally Posted by finn View Post
    That looks a work of art ... Almost a shame to get it dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by finn View Post
    Couldn't make the ccm today but that would have to replace the 449 anyway

Been after another over 600cc bike for a while and nearly bought a new one of these in Jan luckily I didnt but for what I've paid for it it will last sometime
    Nearly bought a 690ktm as well but I do like to be different
    Nice one Chris, much better/sexier than something like a Sertao, came close to buying a Nuda beginning of this year. Glad I didn't too
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Been waiting for some bits to make it bigger fatter and heavier

Bling bling
    Just the screen from Palmer to go

I see luggage options on there as well Chris. Tidy.

I take it you've bought frames to put your existing boxes on? Whose frames did you use?

Looks like you could stick soft luggage on them as well if needed. Handy setup.

Quote Originally Posted by GFJ View Post
    I see luggage options on there as well Chris. Tidy.

I take it you've bought frames to put your existing boxes on? Whose frames did you use?

Looks like you could stick soft luggage on them as well if needed. Handy setup.
    Touratech frames so my tt and my Vern's should fit ok when he finishes them!
    Have a good weekend at haf new venue? Will you still be at the crown tonight may pop in for a beer??

The three pigeons it now is. Will be arriving evening time.
    Be good to catch up re your travels and bike mods!
    G

Seriously considering the Terra as my next bike...seems to be only a few left.. best price I can find is 5k new !!

Seems a better dual bike than the BMW 650

Will talk to the dealer on Monday so fingers crossed we candor a deal

Screens an and converted to single exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Seriously considering the Terra as my next bike...seems to be only a few left.. best price I can find is 5k new !!

Seems a better dual bike than the BMW 650

Will talk to the dealer on Monday so fingers crossed we candor a deal
    Good luck much better than the 650gs but budget for some farkles and as Gfj says there's deals on the extras at the moment

Wordsa of wisdom

Hi Chris
    I've joined the Terra club
    Just considering converting to single exhaust . . I presume you went for the GPR one as per earlier pic but notice you've retained stock can.
    GPR one too loud?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast