A lot of France some Pyrenees and a little bit of Spain

2 wheel humvee

www.humvee-graphics.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's been a long summer and September seems to have been a long time coming but now it's here and it's time for a Euro jaunt, the route was arrived at by reading reports mostly on here and selecting interesting looking places and joining them all up on Mapsource and booking accommodation to suit, that was the plan......

The players (Riders) all forum members; Cookie (& Angie), Darkhorse, Gerry Huxtable, Oie (Oscar) and myself, there were others interested in joining us during the plainning stages but they all fell by the wayside for one reason or another, I'll let them judge whether they feel they missed out ;)

Departure point; Portsmouth to get the overnight ferry to Caen, we met up at Gunwharf quays for Fish & Chips prior to departure, nice of Mark (Joybringer) to join us for supper and to wave teary eyed as we set sail........

In the shadow of H.M.S. Warrior
133-L.jpg

Bikes tied down, bags dropped in the cabin, it was way past beer o'clock, big day tomorrow so not too many :beer:
134-L.jpg

Friday Sept 6th Day 1 Caen to Annecy, Mapsource suggests 482 miles taking 9 hours.........it was very nearly right too, a long day spent 50/50 on Route National and Peage the group arrived at the Hotel, Gerry and Cookie arriving alone, Dave Oscar and myself managed to keep each other in sight and arrive together.
Accomodation for the night; http://www.hoteldesmarquisats.com
No secure parking for those that worry over such things but there was space in the car park, the accommodation was clean and reasonably priced, staff were polite and friendly, free wiffy :thumb the breakfast was very good, we didn't sample the evening meal. Recommended :thumb

137-L.jpg

Following a high dive into a flannel it was time to head to town for a bite to eat, view from the hotel car park whilst waiting for a taxi;
smugshot_4190880-L.jpg

The hotel owner recommended a retaraunt to us so we were dropped at the door, my special friends;
253-L.jpg

The restaraunt was busy ( a good sign) and packed with locals (an even better sign) unfortunately this made service slow-but the food, when it arrived, was very good, obligatory foody pics......

"Yes dear I have to go......it's arrived at last, love to your Mother"
140-L.jpg

Steak on a roof slate, had they run out of plates?
141-L.jpg

Meal over we were forced to walk back to our Hotel as Claude the only Taxi driver in Annecy had given himself an early finish :rolleyes:

Some pics of downtown Annecy on a Friday night;
143-L.jpg

Totally Bohemian........
144-L.jpg

Saturday Sept 7th Day 2 Annecy to Mont Dauphine, mapsource suggests 214 miles taking a little over 6 hours, our destination is Auberge L'Echaugette in Mont Dauphin.
http://www.echauguette.com/
Again, clean and comfortable rooms, fantastic location, excellent food and even the hosts were welcoming eventually, wiffy in downstairs areas only, not the cheapest but well worth a visit :thumb

We stop just 2 minutes from the Hotel to get a pic......
146-L.jpg

And the fun begins; moutains, twisting roads and very little traffic on the Route de Grand Alpes, riders of lesser machines are despatched with ease by the GS riding uber-gods at every turn.......;)
154-L.jpg

We stop for a coffee at Lac de Roseland, some of us remember the spot, we stopped here previously during Magum's excellent Swiss Alps tour in 09
156-L.jpg

I chose this moment to drop my camera face down in the gravel car park, it didn't survive the fall :tears i-phone pics only for the time being for me......the very spot where my Canon powershot met it's maker, the keen eyed among you will have spotted Gerry's bonneville, all credit to him he maintained a great pace throughout the trip :thumb
158-XL.jpg

"Small-far away.............."
257-L.jpg

More pics from the day's ride;
258-L.jpg

260-L.jpg

With some assistance I discover for the first time the panorama feature on the i-phone camera, I liked this feature-a lot :D
261-X2.jpg

262-X2.jpg

Val D'Isere in the valley below;
263-L.jpg

Cookie & Angie;
264-L.jpg

Next Col please.................
Oscar places a "humvee-graphics" sticker on the sign, bloody vandal :p
267-L.jpg

Ooooh look the road passes through a tunnel cut in the rock face, this would become a common sight;
269-XL.jpg

I think the next Col was the Col du Telegraph
(but may be wrong, it's a whole 5 days since we returned and my single brain cell is truggling so bear with me.......)
We had noticed a group of Multistrada's flying in close formation on the Cols, they did a low pass here, nice grouping :bow
279-L.jpg

Cookie arrive moments later, another mile and he'd have seen them off :D
280-L.jpg

Couple of old shonkers at at the top :augie
282-XL.jpg

We press on, it just keeps getting better and better, Col du Galibier next, must be overdue another panorama pic.......
286-X2.jpg

Followed by the Col D' Izoard
288-XL.jpg

On route to the Hotel I stop for some pics and Gerry goes past, the distinct sound of his exhaust silencers fading into the distance..........
290-L.jpg

The group arrive at the destination seperated by only a few minutes, Mont Dauphine, somehow it escaped me when booking that this place is a 17th century fort and UNESCO World Heritage site :blast
Link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont-Dauphin

We find the Hotel and check in,
58178752.jpg

Parking is on the pavement outside :rob
300-L.jpg

I took a pre-dinner walk;
294-X2.jpg

296-L.jpg

299-L.jpg

After a somewhat frosty welcome our hosts warm to our obvious charms or maybe they had consumed enough Ricard by then.........:jager
After a few beers a fine meal was had, starter I think.......
301-L.jpg

Sun Sept 8th Day 3 Mont Dauphin to Castellane, a leisurely 144 miles which mapsource suggest we can breeze along in a mere 4.5 hours............

Destination today is Hotel Du Lavant in Castellane http://hoteldulevant-castellane.com/ recommended by tossers on here, the rooms were adequate only the hotel looked tired and in need of a cash injection, the rooms were no exactly cheap, ,we didn't eat there at all, the staff are friendly and it does have that all important biker friendly secure garage parking-available at extra cost, oh and free wiffy in the hjotel lobby, I won't be going back in a hurry :augie

We are on our first Col of the day in minutes but the sticker vandals have beaten us to it, we leave our marker, take some pics and move on.......
302-L.jpg

303-XL.jpg

Next was thje Route de la Bonnette, how come it's always clear blue skies when Franco nips up there for a Garlic baguette? It was a little misty at times-then it wasn't-then it was.......:blast

307-X2.jpg

This is definitely Oscar leading this group......unstoppable!
309-XL.jpg

It was like pea soup at the summit and freezing too
312-XL.jpg

We made our way down almost blind in the fog and the mist around hairpin bends strewn with cow shit, fantastic :clap

Lunch was late, we stopped in a small village cafe and were beseiged by the local BMW off road school group, there was much puffing out of chests and the obligatory standing on the pegs to ride up the curbs in the market square, it was hilarious :D
Pizza was goo though :drool
313-L.jpg

Another tunnel pic;
314-XL.jpg

The view from the Hotel du Lavant
322-XL.jpg

Partaking of the free wi-fi in the hotel;
324-L.jpg

"A well ridden GS".......won't be going up there any time soon
328-L.jpg

We went in search of blondes, booze and big knockers.........and found them :thumb
330-L.jpg

329-M.jpg

Day 4 Mon Sept 9th Castellane to Castellane via Gorge du Verdun a round trip of 172 miles which napsource we can achieve in 4.5 hours :jes
No hotel review we're in the same dump as last night again :comfort

I nip, out to a hypermarche in search of a replacement camera for my recently departed Canon, choice is limited but I find a little Samsung for 80 Euro and figure it will do-maybe, so I buy it and a new data card.
Following a coffee and croissant we are on the road and the good stuff starts almost immeadiately........
164-L.jpg

163-XL.jpg

337-L.jpg

336-L.jpg

As I stopped many times to take pics I have lost sigh of the others, then I spot cookie's bike
172-L.jpg

My new little Samsung camera has a novel feature, a screen on the front as well as the back so you can frame a subject when taking a self portrait, cookie protests the pic will look very gay.........he's right it does :D
176-L.jpg

We're not yet fed up of blue skies and blue water.....
177-L.jpg

A sticker opportunity presents itself
341-XL.jpg

The views are stunning;
188-XL.jpg

193-L.jpg

In a little more than the suggested time we are back at Castellane and the bikes secured for the night
195-L.jpg

We take a turn around the town......
204-L.jpg

202-L.jpg

Which doesn't take long.......and stop for some refreshments :beerjug:
206-L.jpg

We were joined for dinner by Franco and his wife, oddly no photo's seem to exist
to prove this but a night of good food and banter was enjoyed by all, good to see you both Rob :thumb

207-L.jpg

Dave's turn turn to say grace......
208-L.jpg

Still typing........................:(

Day 5 Tues Sept 10th Castellane to Buis le Barronies, mapsource suggests 134 miles in 3 hours 19 mins, feeling lucky we decide to add a little extra mileage to the day and set off for the Gorge du Verdun again and detour along the Routes de Cretes, fingers crossed..........
Our accommodation for the next 2 nights is in the home of fellow UKGSer and forum member here "Thornley" :beerjug: :thumby: :clap

A local patisserie is the breakfast venue and very good it was too, panoramic mode alert......
smugshot_3075530-X2.jpg

The Sappers Pompiers are practicing their rescue techniques in the Gorge, f**k it's a long way down......
smugshot_9691334-XL.jpg

It's another beautifully clear day, the roads are almost deserted (suicidal motorhome drivers notwithstanding) and the views are stunning, apparently winter had arrived back home :nenau
214-L.jpg

We stopped again for some pics, the road passes throgh the rock face, you can just make out the holes cut in the tunnel walls, balcones?
221-L.jpg

Meanwhile we had been noticed and were possibly being viewed as dinner from above :eek:
220-L.jpg

The 3 amigos stopped at a road side snack bar and rest area in a farm
smugshot_6579542-L.jpg

There were a number of stalls offering local produce and crafts;
smugshot_4050993-L.jpg

One for the 1150 riders.......
smugshot_8606725-L.jpg

Having lost sight of cookie & Gerry I stopped for lunch with Dave and Oscar in a little village en route, I spotted this "tree" outside a book shop
smugshot_3296397-L.jpg

We set off, next stop Mont Ventoux, somewhere along the the smooth twisting tarmac leading to the base of the mountai I spotted a sports bike rider donning his lid ready to move off, in minutes he was bearing down on us at a rate of knots passing each of us in turn quickly and cleanly before disappearing into the distance which served to remind me of that saying often seen on these pages "a well ridden GS......." will get absolutely mullered by a half decent rider on most any sportsbike I muttered to myself in my lid :blagblah

At the top of Mont Ventoux
232-L.jpg

It really is barren and windy up here, nothing grows on the top couple of hundred feet, the landscape looks shot blasted !
228-L.jpg

225-L.jpg

I couldn't reach any further up :comfort
231-L.jpg

Descending from the summit the road has been recently re-surfaced and is a dream of a ride, billiard table smooth constant rdius bend after bend :bow

We arrived in the little town of Buis le Barronies and found John's (Thornley) house, John had arranged the use of a neighbour's garage for bike parking and he and Marge welcomed us to their home, my room featured a roof top terrace :thumby:
233-L.jpg

As it was way past beer o'clock John selflessly volunteered to arrange a discount at the local bars for us, excuse the fuzzy pics :beer:
238-L.jpg

237-L.jpg

A quiet evening of poetry recitals ensued in a teetotal atmosphere..........

Day 6 Weds Sept 11th Buis le Barronies to nowhere in particular, mapsource? What's Mapsource?
We had a ride but as it was market day in town we all decided to chill out and explore on foot, hardcore :eek:

242-L.jpg

245-XL.jpg

250-XL.jpg

249-XL.jpg

Dave, Oscar and myself decided to scoot down to the town of Orange for a look around, rumour has it there is a Touratech emporium thereabouts but we weren't heading for that, we found this Roman Theatre ;

253-L.jpg

254-L.jpg

One of the best preserved Roman theatres apparently, it's very impressive
smugshot_3448401-X2.jpg

257-L.jpg

Following some of this;
235-L.jpg

There was some of this;
smugshot_8425827-L.jpg

Day7 Thurs Sept 12th Buis les Barronis to Foix,
Mapsource suggested 282 miles in 6 hours 20 mins
Destination; http://www.barguillere.fr/ located in the Spanish Pyrenees.
I found the hotel to be clean & comfortable though not exactly cheap, the staff were friendly enough, the location is rural about 3kms from the town of Foix,on arrival we were advise there was no chef on duty so we travelled to Foix by taxi for dinner.

The first part of our day was spent on Peage at speed to cover as much distance as possible quickly, passing Nimes, Montpellier and Narbonnes our exit point was the small town of Sigean where 4 of us stopped for lunch, Gerry was M.I.A. presumed ahead of us.........
We were heading for the Gorge de Galamus, the reason for this route can be found in this thread http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321200 and it links us nicely with a planned visit to the Pyrenees and ultimately our ferry departure at Santander.

Initially the smaller roads were rough with a washbard consistency and lots of un repaired surface, this gave way to smooth fast sweepers before we finally hit the Gorge, the wait was worth it;

374-X2.jpg

263-L.jpg

374-X2.jpg

264-L.jpg

Nearing the town of Foix;
270-L.jpg

Our Hotel for the night;
390-L.jpg

We took a cab into town for dinner and once again Oscar excelled at ordering for all of us, 3 of us shared a steak dish cooked at the table on a hot plate;
316-L.jpg

317-L.jpg

Cookie's hands were a blur as he tucked into a fish supper.....
315-L.jpg

Day 8 Fri Sept 13th Foix to Jaca
Mapsource tells us it;s 224 miles and will take 5hrs 44 mins, this route includes The Col d'Aspin and Col du Tourmalet, it was at the top of the Aspin in 2010 that Oscar and I got the news that Gerry had been knocked off his bike and hospitalised ending his trip, we skipped the Tormalet and headed to hospital to see Gerry, in 2011 we were again thwarted at the Tourmalet due to roadworks, we were running short of time and the detour would have caused us to miss our ferry, so.....this time....3rd time lucky.....on Friday 13th what could go wrong :blast

We followed the snaking D117 out of Foix toward and past saint Girons before picking up the much faster A64 heading west which we hoped would buy us time, it did, although seperated by a few minutes we all turned onto the Col D'Aspin and made it the top, the place where 3 years previously we had received the news about Gerry, 3rd time lucky :D
274-L.jpg

The yellow sticker I had placed 3 years ago remained in place and was joined by a Blue one :augie
275-L.jpg

View of the peak of the Col du Tourmalet for the Col D'Aspin
277-L.jpg

And in the opposite direction;
380-X2.jpg

Before the climb to the peak of the Tourmalet we stopped for the most expensive fuel on the trip at Euro 1.74/litre :eek:
Maybe the profits help to keep this beast in tyres....
278-L.jpg

Finally, he made it
282-L.jpg

279-L.jpg

Coming down off the Tourmalet the damage was apparent from the storms and flash floods earlier this year, there are road restrictions in place and road closures with periodic opening, we got through without a problem, typical of the damage to property;
288-L.jpg

Next was the Col du Solour which we rode twice, down and back up just because we could-and not because we took a wrong turn :augie
291-L.jpg

Later that day in the bar many of us agreed this had been the best day's riding of the trip and we had made the same statement at least twice before this week.......
Col DAubisque next....

302-L.jpg

304-L.jpg

294-L.jpg

296-L.jpg

299-L.jpg

303-L.jpg

Darkhorse;
309-L.jpg

Gerry;
310-XL.jpg

Cookie;
311-L.jpg

Home for the night was here;
377-L.jpg

The description on the website was vague about parking, it turned out there is none although they are refurbing the garage right now so this may be available in the future, we parked in a public car park 200mts down the road with no ill effect, the hotel was the best of the trip for food, room comfort, wi-fi, breakfast, staff and general hospitality-recommended so long as the parking thing doesn't bother you too much ;)

The bier blonde was pretty good too
376-L.jpg

still typing.................
I'm knackered, more tomorrow

really nice rr good pics and looks like a good time was had by all, we were at most of those places earlier this year, apart from pyrenees, keep it coming.

Good reading Steve looks a fab trip safe journey boys and girls.😃

Great pics - very inspiring :thumby:

Looks similar to what I'm planning for next year in reverse (ferry to Santander is already booked, but I'll return via Zeebrugge) :D

Nice report, i too was up there on sat 7th and noted the Humvee sticker, was bloody chilly .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1379749301.772652.jpg

Great pictures, I like the iPhone Pana wotsits ones too. Enjoying the write up,looking forward to the next instalment. Thanks for taking the time to post, a few grand reminders of our last trip to Mester Franco's Backyard. Carry on. :thumby:

Andrew

This was Col De Aubisque end of May this year

P1010303_zpse204455f.jpg

We went through anyway :D

P1010306_zps25e4ff8a.jpg

Got turned back by a digger driver near the bottom of the pass ,spoil sport

really nice rr good pics and looks like a good time was had by all, we were at most of those places earlier this year, apart from pyrenees, keep it coming.

On it now :thumb

Good reading Steve looks a fab trip safe journey boys and girls.��

:thumb

Awesome:thumb

Great pics - very inspiring :thumby:

Looks similar to what I'm planning for next year in reverse (ferry to Santander is already booked, but I'll return via Zeebrugge) :D

We figured the ferry at the end of the trip rather than the beginning would make a good way to chill out :Motomartin

Nice report, i too was up there on sat 7th and noted the Humvee sticker, was bloody chilly .
View attachment 240473

It was a tad chilly :eek:

Great pictures, I like the iPhone Pana wotsits ones too. Enjoying the write up,looking forward to the next instalment. Thanks for taking the time to post, a few grand reminders of our last trip to Mester Franco's Backyard. Carry on. :thumby:

Andrew

Final installment on the way, thanks I think the pana thing is cool too :thumb

This was Col De Aubisque end of May this year

We went through anyway :D

Got turned back by a digger driver near the bottom of the pass ,spoil sport

We were thinking of going in May, glad we waited until September now :thumb

Day 9 Sat Sept 14th Jaca to Santander
We had 2 routes to choose from on this day;

Route 1; 241 miles starting by following the N240 along the shores of the Embalse de Yasa reservoir......

Or......

Route 2; 310 mles starting by heading North and following the excellent Col de la Pierre Saint Martin, always an excellent choice and a favourite among our group.....
Maybe we were "cornered out" from the last week or so's routes, we chose the shorter and easier option 1, with hindsight I wish we hadn't :blast

Fed & watered and packed we were on the road, the N240 is a pleasant road and as it skirts the reservoir's shores offers a series of smooth fast sweepers and great views of the mountains
319-L.jpg

Just after this pic was taken we encountered roadworks and a "Road Closed" sign, due to an extensive road building programme it is no longer possible to follow this road in it's entirity, local diversions send you to the newly opened motorway and dual carriageways runiing East to West, all very impressive and the new roads are blissfully free of traffic but it's not where we wanted to go......
Slipping between the cones of a road closure we took to a disused road in search of a link to the old road, the disused road ended and became a footpath, we continued.........the footpath ended and became a trail, we passed through some woodland before emerging into the grounds of a monastary :hide Unstoppable :D

The route continued West staying South of Pamplona, we stopped for the occasional roadside pic

321-L.jpg

323-L.jpg

As this was his backyard Oscar led, he took us for lunch and once again donned his "tour Dad" hat and ordered an excellent meal for all of us :clap

391-L.jpg

Following a brief coffee stop in Bilbao we departed for Santander, via the Transporter bridge

326-L.jpg

For me the day's ride had seemed tame and a little boring, wish we had taken the other route option this morning :tears

All that remained to do was kill time waiting for the ferry at Santander, a new terminal building is under construction so the entry point to the quayside and embarkation check-in has changed, oh what fun I had on the Santander one way merry go round trying to find the entrance to the terminal......by the time we return whenever that might be, another part of a familiar journey will have changed forever.

Our crossing departed around 7.45pm which meant we had plenty of time for a few beers on board and more than enough time to endure the onboard "entertainment", although jumping over the side was discussed I am happy to report that no lives were lost during the night
328-L.jpg

Another trip over,

my mileage door to door was just shy of 2500,

my trip computer suggests my average mpg was 51.5,

ambient temps ranged from 10 to 30 degrees,

fuel prices ranged from 1.31 Euro per litre to 1.74 Euro per litre

we encountered very little rain

we experienced no break downs and no repairs were required, 1 suspected nail in a tyre proved to have been a surface wound only

for the most part the roads were relatively quiet and traffic free, vindicating our decision to go in September.

My trip awards;

Best hotel; The Hotel in Foix, best food, best rooms, best breakfast and good value, http://www.barguillere.fr/
We left the bikes in a public car park, they were still there next day
375-L.jpg

Tour Dad; Oscar, for translation, ordering & haggling skills :clap

True Grit; Gerry, for travelling all that way on that wee naked bike :comfort

Victoryknox award; Darkhorse, for having everything you could possibly need for a trip on a bike and packed into so little space, minimalist indeed :clap

2 up toe dragging maintain momentum at all costs award; Cookie obviously :bow

A fine bunch of tossers to travel with, until next time :beerjug:

Great

As usual a great trip with a fine bunch.

and another excellent trip report.

thanks to all.

cheers

Gerry H.

Attachments

• 1600_RM83501.jpg
    1600_RM83501.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 513
mine got lost in a spam folder for a few days. only just found it after a protracted search :rolleyes:

Enjoyed that :thumb2

Couple of places put on the list for a visit, too.

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom