Karcher Kaput ! - What next?

JH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

Looking for some recommendations to replace my Karcher pressure washer that has died :confused: I have had it for over 15 years at least and it has served me well. But I went to use it today and it wouldn't work. Nothing, I checked all the usual stuff but it appear to be U/S.

What to get? Anyone with any tips or helpful hints or know of a good buy. I use it for the cars, bikes, patio and the like. It is not a really hard life as I never get to clean my stuff as much as I would like, but I would like a washer that is up to it.

Recommendations please!

:thumby:

GERNI - much better. ..proper metal pumps...:thumb.

made by Nilfisk, the makers of the toughest vacuums in the world

Every time my karcher packed up i just took it apart, put it back together again and it worked as if nothing was ever wrong! Used it for years like that, i think it might have been a faulty pressure switch. Still using it as my second string washer, i bought a big old heavy farmers type PW with mostly metal working parts for first choice now.

I bought one from Aldi. With a three year warranty compared to Karcher's one year effort, you can't go wrong. I've had it over six years now with no faults. The Karcher which it replaced used to pack up each year - bag of shit that was!

Thank you guys......

I had seen the site that does the refurbished or shop soiled stock of Karcher stuff. Part of me is leaning towards another, only because I have several Karcher accessories that I won't have to buy again, but the Gerni and Nilfisk both look very well put together alternatives....

I suppose in the first instance I should get off my butt and pull my one apart to see if it is something simple (any suggestions?) before I lay out on my credit card..

:thumb

Every time my karcher packed up i just took it apart, put it back together again and it worked as if nothing was ever wrong! Used it for years like that, i think it might have been a faulty pressure switch. Still using it as my second string washer, i bought a big old heavy farmers type PW with mostly metal working parts for first choice now.

Right I found time yesterday to strip it down. It is a K530M model. All appears good, with no leaks and the impeller at the bottom spinning freely. I tested the micro switch which works OK.

The issue appears to be that as soon as it is turned on the motor initiates but cuts out instantly, in fact if you weren't paying attention you would miss it as it happens that quickly. It is blowing the fuse in the plug! There are no obvious electrical issues.... Can anyone suggest what is causing this or a reliable repairer in the N Kent or bordering area?

:thumb

cant complain at 15 years of service

No complaints it has been good, but reading on line there are plenty who have not faired so well. That is why I posed the question is it worth getting another or changing for a more 'premium' brand.

But more investigations point to the capacitor being the culprit. I will change it and report back in case anyone else here suffers a similar issue in the future. But if it is not the capacitor, then it can only leave the actual motor :eek: then I will have to splash out!

:thumby:

I just thought that I would update this in case anyone else suffers a failure of their pressure washer............

It was relatively easy to identify the part number of the capacitor, but trying to obtain a replacement as had been fitted as original equipment was impossible, this despite suppliers quoting the correct part number. The first one to arrive was the wrong rating and size by a huge margin, I am still waiting for the refund!

The second was the correct technical specifications, but still not the same length, too short by about 1/5th. I made up a wedge to keep it in place within the watertight switch box, and set about rebuilding everything. The pressure washer burst into life instantly :D thus saving me the need to pay out on a new one and all that goes with it.

A decent replacement, circa £150/£200 with all the bits and accessories; Karcher authorised repair by an approved dealer, Min £75 +; DIY, circa £16 plus my time (as long as I get the refund from the incorrect part).

I am now looking forward to another 15 years of service and being able to use my existing accessories etc! :beerjug:

Thats good info, cheers.

Thanks for taking the time to post it up.

Shep

Back
Top Bottom