MT-09 - anyone ridden one?

It's all good

Here's what I had on Thursday for the afternoon.

loved the thing, imagine the arm/peg/seat positioning of the F800GS, make it lighter, cheaper and with a belter of an engine that pulls from nothing. That's as close a thing as I could come up with. Don't worry about the press reports of the 14 litre tank being too small, it's good on the old unleaded. The comfort seat, isn't, stick with the standard one that doesn't make you slide into the tank £199 saved. Screen works but wait for the aftermarket to produce better, very shortly. Panniers, yes they do them, rack and topbox, already in the catalogue too.
The digi display works with twin trips, current mpg, overall mpg, revcounter in block bars going up the left side and onto the top line, speed is digital only and a tiny clock. Idiot lights right at the very top. It's all run by the two buttons at the bottom.

Look close at the picture. That's on a new demo bike, not fully run in and me riding it just as I do on my Fazer thou on the same roads.

Not too shabby mpg figures, in fact whilst down the dealers today they told me they have used my figures to influence other prospective buyers who doubt Yamaha's claims. That equates to a touch over 200 miles to a tank. "A" mode wont get you figures like that, I had it up at 56mpg on "std" halfway through the afternoon and popped it into the sub 100hp "B" mode for the return trip where it just kept rising, and rising.

The reason for going back today was to show my Mrs how good the gold fork version looked in the deep purple paint, and place my order for an ABS version due out end of December/New years.

It's that good, honest. ( I read all the hype and thought I'd make my own mind up ).

One scenic piccy for you

Last edited:
I was talking to one of the mechanics in a Yamaha dealer a few weeks ago , he wasn't trying to sell me a bike and he knows i'm not interested in buying one. He also likes his sports bikes but he was raving about the engine and the 'hooligan' nature of the bike IF you wanted to have some fun on it.....or you could just revel in its size and lack of weight if just commuting.

Here's what I had on Thursday for the afternoon.

loved the thing, imagine the arm/peg/seat positioning of the F800GS, make it lighter, cheaper and with a belter of an engine that pulls from nothing. That's as close a thing as I could come up with. Don't worry about the press reports of the 14 litre tank being too small, it's good on the old unleaded. The comfort seat, isn't, stick with the standard one that doesn't make you slide into the tank £199 saved. Screen works but wait for the aftermarket to produce better, very shortly. Panniers, yes they do them, rack and topbox, already in the catalogue too.
The digi display works with twin trips, current mpg, overall mpg, revcounter in block bars going up the left side and onto the top line, speed is digital only and a tiny clock. Idiot lights right at the very top. It's all run by the two buttons at the bottom.
[

Look close at the picture. That's on a new demo bike, not fully run in and me riding it just as I do on my Fazer thou on the same roads.

Not too shabby mpg figures, in fact whilst down the dealers today they told me they have used my figures to influence other prospective buyers who doubt Yamaha's claims. That equates to a touch over 200 miles to a tank. "A" mode wont get you figures like that, I had it up at 56mpg on "std" halfway through the afternoon and popped it into the sub 100hp "B" mode for the return trip where it just kept rising, and rising.

The reason for going back today was to show my Mrs how good the gold fork version looked in the deep purple paint, and place my order for an ABS version due out end of December/New years.

It's that good, honest. ( I read all the hype and thought I'd make my own mind up ).

One scenic piccy for you
Good read. It is a good bike. Its fresh so to speak. They will sell bucket loads.

09 update

6 month update on the bike,
having not been home much for the 1st half of the year, the first service has just come and gone with no issues other than the cam chain tensioner adjustment. Some bikes have had replacements fitted as adjustment doesn't cure the rattle and Yamaha warranty get them swapped over onto version 3 !

I've fitted a Scottoiler which keeps the budget looking chain well lubed, heated grips (as on all my bikes) and a set of F700 hand guards and bars. The front end needed a fender extender to keep the radiator out of water spray, but the rear is still a fountain of spray that cover the whole back end of the bike.
ebay sourced shortie levers cured the lack of adjustment on the OE items and didn't break the bank.

The tank range is acceptable despite the weedy volume, 150 miles is easy to achieve as long as you don't want to power wheelie in A mode everywhere (it's addictive).

It's the sort of bike that makes you grin whenever you wheel it out of the garage :thumb2

Attachments

• 002_zpsc8a7ea5a.jpg
    002_zpsc8a7ea5a.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,513
Last edited:
One of my students passed his test a couple of weeks ago and bought one, he loves it!

10305263_468329573311459_1181150620966839141_n.jpg

For anyone who has bought an MT09, I just seen this on a French website - Moto Revue. Im sure it may affect models everywhere else, not only France? Maybe worth checking with your dealer.

Looks like the headlight harness if pulled at when turning can become dislodged.

translation:
Problem description: When the handlebar is abutted left or right, there is a very high voltage on the headlight beam in because of insufficient length of it. With repeated movements, the headlight connector can disconnect the bulb or well the beam can cut at the connector. Therefore, the lighthouse may turn off while driving

MT09 models 2014 ( 1RC2 / B / E / K / M / P ), the serial number range from RN292 RN292 00000301 and 0004021.
MT09A models 2014 ( 2DR2 / 5/8 / B / E / G ) whose serial number are between RN297 RN297 00000301 and 0002434.

http://www.motorevue.com/site/rappe...e-faisceau-de-phare-sur-les-mt-09--81244.html

:thumb2

The forthcoming FJ-09 touring version looks promising....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-10-24 01.11.55.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-10-24 01.11.55.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 737
Some 10 years after my initial post on this thread, I've just bought one. '16 plate but a '15 MY bike. 8K miles, very, very clean, Öhlins on the rear, full Akrapovič system, comfort seat, SW Motec crash protectors, Puig flyscreen, handguards and almost new Pilot Road 5 tyres.
Yesterday, I had the suspension set up by Grant Racing and the bike run on the dyno where it made 111 bhp at the rear wheel and 62 lbs-ft., although it is running a bit rich. I think a cartridge. kit for the front fork may be on the shopping list, followed by a higher spec rear shock. I've also purchased: a set of crash bobbins for the front fork legs which will also allow me to use a front paddock stand; a side stand foot enlarger; an H4 LED headlamp bulb and carbon extenders for the front mudguard and rear hugger.
Riding impressions: It really is a pocket rocket and encourages me to zip around. It's surprisingly comfortable and although I initially thought the pegs were too far rearwards, I can change the gear and use the read brake in my Sidi Adventures and it's not painful for my slightly dodgy left hip. Now that I've had a bit more sag dialled in and the rear end sits down more in corners, it doesn't run wide so much. My son, who's taller, heavier and probably more aggressive with the throttle than I am, found it was quite flappy tending towards slappy when gunned over bumpy roads. I'm getting about 50 mpg not going over 100 mph. Overall, I'm very pleased with it, so far. As ever, the modification list is continuing to be formed. :giggle:

IMG_0624.jpeg

found it was quite flappy tending towards slappy when gunned over bumpy roads

that was a trait of all MT09 variants of that era. I had a 2015 Tracer.

I add quite a bit of ballast to any bike and it only happened if hitting a bump at, "see you in court, sonny" speeds. Riders of less mass experienced it at more sedate, fixed penalty speeds. It always sorted itself out if you did not panic, rather then going into a hedge seeking oscillation. They changed the geometry on later versions.

that was a trait of all MT09 variants of that era. I had a 2015 Tracer.

I add quite a bit of ballast to any bike and it only happened if hitting a bump at, "see you in court, sonny" speeds. Riders of less mass experienced it at more sedate, fixed penalty speeds. It always sorted itself out if you did not panic, rather then going into a hedge seeking oscillation. They changed the geometry on later versions.

For me, at c. 70 kg, it's rock solid up to 100 mph which is the fastest I've seen on it so far. My son is taller and heavier; so, he's sitting further back and suffers from more aerodynamic drag both of which will conspire to lever a bit more weight off the front end. It's just been given a bit more sag at both ends so we'll see how that has affected it for him.

The only bike that ever went into a full blown tank slapper on me was a friend's R75/6 shod with TT100's which were a terrible choice for it. He was a big guy who obviously had enough mass to damp out
any oscillation before it escalated into a tank slapper. Fortunately, for me, I'd read that in the event, the cure was to stand up and lean over the front of the bike and peer at the headlamp.
So when the old gummikuh did it to me when I hit a dip at 80 mph, I was ready for it, got up out of the saddle and peered sternly into its eye. It calmed down and we went merrily on our way.

So far it's been fitted with an Andreani fork cartridge kit and I'm planning on a fully adjustable K-Tech rear shock to replace the basic Öhlins that's fitted at the moment.
6 hours on Grant Racing's dyno has resulted in 117 hp at the rear wheel. Apart from a few other wee farkles, that's it for the moment.

I had some action pics shot locally a few weeks ago when it was 29 deg C out there.

384743632_10160819298088398_6054082733971529876_n.jpg
384740555_10160819295483398_1968381128847434672_n.jpg
384697226_10160819291288398_440234322401854673_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom