This winter's project

Update

As feared after my latest round of treatments and "case-conferencing" (i.e. a device used to spread the blame when things go t*ts-up :rob ) the medics have now formally pulled the plug on my long-term riding ambitions consequently this project is being scaled back. :(

Barry now has the bike in his workshop - later next week he'll take the fairing panels off leaving me to tackle the paintwork. According to Mr B. mechanically the bike is excellent (the bike has a complete and detailed bmwsh) - everything works well and smoothly, no faults are listed or shown on his GS-911 diagnosis, and the engine runs sweetly as well so rather than fitting all the additional toys this project has now become a clean-and-tidy job.

At first sight its the rocker covers and cylinder heads that need attention, with some of the "chassis" tubing needing rubbing down and painting (yes I know, R1150RT's don't have a chassis in the traditional sense but you know what I mean). I'll do the front wishbone while I'm there and maybe tidy up the front engine cover area if need be. Mr Hammerite may well be my friend here :D

I'm not going down the ceramic header path after all - I've got a clean set of header downpipes that were going to be used for CC instead and which will replace the alarming looking headers currently on the bike. The exhaust studs are, of course, in a very sorry state so they'll no doubt need drilling out and replacing as well. I look forward to having my vocabulary extended when Barry tackles this one :eek:

Other than cleaning and painting, its fitting the Chris Shaw stainless steel bolt set (with Alumslip and thread cleaning en-route), doing the 36000 mile complete service (inc ABS fluids, cambelt and ignition coils) and then sending it on its merry way.

Photos as and when. Early expressions of interest invited :augie

Update 2 - getting dirty

for various unplanned and unexpected reasons the work is proceeding at a snails pace. However here are some photos showing what's been happening over the last week or so.

The camera's flash makes things - particularly the corrosion on the frame rails - look worse than they are but equally so it highlights areas that need attention. A cheap steam cleaner (£20 eBay special) got rid of an extraordinary amount of crud and now the hammerite sessions have commenced :thumb2

The exhaust headers came off quite easily much to everyone's surprise :eek: and the much-better-condition ones have been fitted with new headerstuds &c. Once the hammerite sessions have finished (and dried .... DONT be tempted to touch and see until at least 48H have elapsed :blast ) the stainless steel replacement bolts can be fitted. A large tub of alumslip and a tap-and-die kit is on standby for thread cleaning "as-and-when", so in many ways "so far so good" :augie.

Before steam cleaning :

Afterwards ( most of the crud was underneath, of course .... ) :

Fork Legs after hammerite :

Rocker cover after hammerite ( MUST NOT TOUCH :augie:augie )

more as and when

Its gone ... :eek: :aidan

as always my health issues forced the day.

A trader has taken it for a reasonable deal and the overall ££ loss wasn't too upsetting this time around. I've gained useful hands-on experience of painting and spraying which may prove useful in due course, and came to appreciate the joys of broken studs and their removal techniques, but as I have yet more lengthy time in hospital looming and as the bike had reached the stage where it was "ready to go", there wasn't much point in hanging on to it.

The trader has it on eBay at the moment ( here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360796720191?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 )

- their photography is worse than mine !

Here's as it left - complete with s/s bolts, good condition exhaust header, everything cleaned, painted, serviced and polished. The tall screen was replaced with the original.

Its a nice bike - lets hope it finds a good home

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 248

Back
Top Bottom