How to: Ticker Killer for RHS Throttle Body

DevonianScotsman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a few photos for anyone that's thinking of putting in a Ticker-Killer to take out the excess play in the RHS Throttle body butterfly shaft. This causes an annoying tick just above idle which can be a little embarrassing.
Did the install myself at the weekend and it's great!
The other option was the have the throttle body reconditioned or replaced - and I fancied the lazy option! :jager

I know there are mixed feelings about these - But I'm just posting these for info for anyone who decides to do the modification, not to spark a debate about them.

Anyhow, here's how it's done:

1. Firstly you'll need to remove the old cap from the throttle body. Pictured here:

2013-10-13.jpg

2. This is done by drilling a 4mm or 5mm hole in the cap. Be careful not to drill in too deep, as you risk damaging the end of the shaft or the mounting circlip if you do.
On the 1100 these are light Aluminium, so it's fairly easy. The later bikes have stainless caps which take a bit more drilling.

2013-10-13%2520%25281%2529.jpg

3. Prize the cap off using a screwdriver or needle-nosed plyers. Be careful not to damage the shaft when doing so.

2013-10-13%2520%25283%2529.jpg

4. This is how my cap looked after I'd finished with it...

2013-10-13%2520%25282%2529.jpg

5. Press the new cap onto the throttle body using the plastic provided and a hammer. You can add a little Loctite to the contact faces at this point if you like. I did just for extra piece of mind.

2013-10-13%2520%25284%2529.jpg

6. Fit the adjuster and tighten it up until all the excess play in the shaft is gone. Be careful not to tighten it up too much as this will restrict the movement of the throttle butterfly or cause the shaft to break altogether.
Screw the supplied nut onto the adjuster to prevent it unscrewing.

2013-10-13%2520%25285%2529.jpg

Once installed the Ticker Killer can be adjusted if the shaft-bushings wear any further.

I hope this helps! :thumb2

Yep, it helps me as I've been putting off doing it.

Don't know if you mentioned where to get the kit?

Cheers :beerjug:

Ticker Killer

Sounds like someone has ticker envy! :D

It may not look the best, but it does the job, you could spend a mass of money and get the same problem back within a short time.

110K on the GS and I have one fitted, it does stop the noise and not mess up the running.

I give it the thumbs up. :thumb

Just how bad is the noise? I have high-miler 1200GSA and have been chasing what appears to be an intermittent valve noise from the right hand side.

Rocker end play is between 0.04 and 0.1mm, valve clearances 0.15 and 0.3, I have replaced cam followers, rocker shafts, shafts, rocker gear assembly; yet still the noise persists. The only things left to replace are the valves themselves...

Does a ticking throttle body make so much noise it could sound like noisy valve gear? I'm guessing not, but looking for a solution to my noisy head.

Just how bad is the noise? I have high-miler 1200GSA and have been chasing what appears to be an intermittent valve noise from the right hand side.

Rocker end play is between 0.04 and 0.1mm, valve clearances 0.15 and 0.3, I have replaced cam followers, rocker shafts, shafts, rocker gear assembly; yet still the noise persists. The only things left to replace are the valves themselves...

Does a ticking throttle body make so much noise it could sound like noisy valve gear? I'm guessing not, but looking for a solution to my noisy head.

Pushrods?
Cam chains?

Pushrods - check
Cam chain tensioner - check
Cam chain - not yet, that's a full strip down to get at.

You can rule out the throttle body by putting pressure on the throttle quadrant with your finger while it's running - if it stops the noise, it's the throttle body.

That said, I've never heard of 1200's being affected by the throttle body wear which 11xx's are prone to...

My fix is cheaper and easier, it's called ear plugs and riding the feckin thing:rolleyes:

My fix is cheaper and easier, it's called ear plugs and riding the feckin thing:rolleyes:

Especially as you can only hear it at idle when the throttle cable is slack.
The instant you touch the throttle the noise is gone. :D

That looks a good bodge,
but I'm not at all worried about the tickety noise on my 1100.

To be honest I couldn't give a monkeys about the noise and I'm certainly not embarrassed,
it does and always will sound like a Bedford TK cattle truck.:)

Throttle quadrant? Wot that?

MattW spake thusly> You can rule out the throttle body by putting pressure on the throttle quadrant with your finger

What the feck is a throttle quadrant? Where is it? Will I burn/dirty/rip off my finger in so doing? :confused:

MattW spake thusly> You can rule out the throttle body by putting pressure on the throttle quadrant with your finger

What the feck is a throttle quadrant? Where is it? Will I burn/dirty/rip off my finger in so doing? :confused:

Those less kind than me would say if you can't identify / work out which bit is the throttle quadrant then perhaps you should quietly put down the spanners and walk away ;)

However, if you want to expand your horizons:

The throttle cable wraps round a pulley wheel on the side of the throttle body (between the throttle body and the engine). Find this pulley (known as a throttle quadrant) and with the engine running at tickover, put your finger on it quite firmly (don't accidentally turn it).

If the ticking noise stops when 'fingering' the throttle quadrant then you've identified that the throttle bodies have worn bushes. If you're a fan of horrible bodges that just mask the symptoms rather than fixing the problem, then you can fit a ticker killer. If you want to do a proper job then you can get the throttle bodies re-bushed.

To avoid burning yourself, don't touch the hot bits (you've got to try quite hard to touch the cylinder head but I suppose you could if you really worked at it).
To avoid ripping your finger off, don't stick it in the spokes while riding along (there's nothing finger rippy in the region of the throttle bodies).
You may get a bit of dirt on your finger (depends on how well you clean your bike) - if this happens a bit of washing up liquid should get the dirt off :thumb

Those less kind than me would say if you can't identify / work out which bit is the throttle quadrant then perhaps you should quietly put down the spanners and walk away ;)

The throttle cable wraps round a pulley wheel on the side of the throttle body (between the throttle body and the engine). Find this pulley (known as a throttle quadrant) and with the engine running at tickover, put your finger on it quite firmly (don't accidentally turn it).

Thank you! (what's a spanner? :p)

More seriously, why on earth call a pulley a quadrant? It's a pulley, innit? I mean to say...

Back
Top Bottom