Squires Cafe Bar for Sale

All depends on what shape of repair its in, if modern and very tidy thoughout, with nice views etc

never been there

inside its stuck in the 70's. Proper old mans pub..might be the ticket..sticky tables, carpet and nicotined stained pics....nice place!

Yeah, the power rangers get on your nerves when they're pulling wheelies down the road & the Harley's with loud exhaust P me off when you have to stop talking until they've buggered off.
But actually, there's a lot of decent folk down at Squires & there's a large number of older bikers (like me) who don't care what bike you ride, what label is on your bike gear & simply go there to talk bikes :thumb
So shortly after my last post, I trundled over via the little lanes. A pleasant evening :)

PS - JB - uneven / gravel car parks are a short person's nightmare & the poorly designed GS side-stand simply makes it worse.... :confused:

I remember the old Cafe, It wasn't practice to have a bike cafe right in the village.
The present one was well run by Harry but has gone down hill. very poor food and the legendary milky coffee is gone.
There is a girl shouting 'NEXT PLEASE' non stop.
The camping for wobbly boxes looks crude.
The dog looks good though.
It wouldn't take much to bring it up the scratch, its a great pub and plenty of opportunity to develop a good business.
It would be a good investment for a group of dedicated bikers with business experience.

Yeah, the power rangers get on your nerves when they're pulling wheelies down the road & the Harley's with loud exhaust P me off when you have to stop talking until they've buggered off.
But actually, there's a lot of decent folk down at Squires & there's a large number of older bikers (like me) who don't care what bike you ride, what label is on your bike gear & simply go there to talk bikes :thumb
So shortly after my last post, I trundled over via the little lanes. A pleasant evening :)

The worst thing about the wheelies is how poor the majority of them are! So many of the sports bikes do a funny thing where they only take about a quarter throttle but hold it there until it revs out, making loads of noise but barely moving. It reminds me of a 400 four Sohc honda back in the day.

I do love people-watching there tho, and if you go via the grewelthorpe or Malton trails on a muddy day it can be a mini adventure on a GS :D

Squires is my local & I've been going for almost 20 yrs. I remember the old Milk Bar & disliked it. It was far too small and the car park was a nightmare get in and out of.

When Harry (owner of the Milk Bar) purchased Squires, he didn't do much to improve it. A few years later, he sold it (I heard) for £2.5M (maybe more). Harry & his wife live a luxury lifestyle with helicopter, Bentley and bikes. Good on him :)

The buyers were a group of business men with no interest in bikes (I stand to be corrected but when the local WIMA group met there, its what I remember Harry saying). One of the sale contract stipulations from Harry was that it had to continue as a biker's cafe & that Jason (his son) would be part of the management.

There have been a few changes: a new dining room; the ice-rink; a few new mugs and a new kitchen. I believe the men's toilets were improved too but I've not checked.
The ice-rink is downstairs at the back where they used to have live bands on & has proved to be popular with the locals (kids parties etc).

The biggest drawback (IMO) is the sloppy staff, cheap tasting coffee and disgraceful interior. Its freezing in winter too.

Saying that, it doesn't stop me going & I'd be sad if it closed down.
The huge car park & a massive amount of land makes it ideal meeting place for an organised ride out or meeting friends from all over Yorkshire. It's a great people-watching venue :augie & some folk like the pasties that have been in a food-warmer all day :nenau

Over the years, they've tried to improve winter attendance but nothing seems to work, especially during the week. If its freezing cold, wet or dark, you can bet that Squires will be empty.

I've said enough.... :augie
Americano with milk same price as the muck they serve up front (including a biscuit) there ive blown it now lol :D

I've only been once, on a Wednesday daytime & was very disappointed. Grubby, out of date & the food was average.
The dog was brilliant though, spent some time chatting to him.

Maybe it's better when there's a full house.

Certainly not a patch on the Super Sausage near Silverstone.

Now, if someone could get Squires & turn into a Super Sausage type cafe there would be some money to be made, I'm sure

I noticed on Sunday that the Pennygarth Cafe in Hawes is also for sale !

Perhaps all the tossers that kept them in profit are on diets !

Manor Cafe is taking all the trade:D

I always choose proper tea rooms, for a far better food and fresh (not stewed) tea.............

Agreed but it was cold and we needed refreshment !

3 better cafes in Hawes, Creamery for one:D................I should have emailed Andrew my 'special' tea room list

Braver than me last Sunday, I did some of your route in the car:p

JB, come on that man post up some top cafés. :DThe Creamery was packed as we came past. Mind you being a tight git when on me own will do a pack up and flask, money is for petrol tha knows:rob

Back
Top Bottom