IMG_1146_zps0ae33c28.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1147_zps38af1b25.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1148_zpscae4f0bd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1149_zpsa9dbd74e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi everyone, the problem needs no explanation. It's a '10 plate G450X 50Hrs, well maintained, never raced.
I took the spindle out just for fun to grease it and to see how it all worked and came across this abrasion on the spindle.
The point at which the rubbing occurs is inside the gearbox housing it seems to me. Has anyone any thoughts on why this is happening and whether this is a precursor to a more severe underlying problem that will soon be evident. No oil came out of the hole with the spindle so I assume the internal gearbox seals are still intact. I'm most concerned about where all the abraded material has gone and whether it will be floating around wearing out other parts unseen. I've ordered another spindle £58.01 but want to address the underlying problem.
Does anyone have an exploded diagram of how it all fits together?
Any advice gratefully recieved, Steve. :thumby:

I'd say the countershaft has been fouling the swingarm spindle at some point.
There is blueing on the swinger spindle so it's got hot quick.
Quirky little bikes aren't they.....

Bought a new spindle, packed it with grease, put it back together, crossed fingers.

Mechanic at local BMW says he thinks it may have picked up on a bearing briefly, but says it's not necessarily terminal, here's hoping.

New spindle was ordered from Germany and is slightly different, it's black for a start, and there is no internal thread on the hexagonal end. I know this sounds trivial but it means you can't screw a grease nipple into it and grease the spindle. How do you grease yours Timpo? By taking it out or with a grease gun?

BTW, I also did the headstock modification Timpo showed in a previous thread, or at least half of it. I looked in the headstock to check the bearings were not corroding and found that they weren't, so I drilled and tapped a 90 degree grease nipple into it and pumped in nearly a cartridge full of grease to make sure they don't.

Also took the opportunity to change the fork oil while they were off. Changed to 5 weight oil, 620ml in each leg, 90mm air gap. Old stuff was really dirty in one of the tubes. Feels a little better now I think, have to wait for a real test to really tell.

It's a shame these bikes don't get a lot of recognition. I've found mine to be utterly reliable and performs really well. 65 hours and still on original battery and side stand too.

PS. I stated in the first post the bike had done 50 hours, it's 65, I was guessing before, sorry. Steve

Last edited:
Had the same issue removing mine a couple of weeks back to change front sprocket ...

Didn't replace it, greased it up well and will watch in the near future how things evolve ...

Mine only had 20 hours .....

Back
Top Bottom